XS400-2E Fuse Box Wiring

eight_heads
This post is 5460 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm trying to bring a '78 XS4002e back from the dead. Someone has screwed around with the fuse box wiring and I am trying to fix it. Here's what wires I have at the box. Can someone tell me which need to go together?

Red(From Battery)

Red(To Headlight, MAIN)

Red/Yellow

Red/White

Red/White

Brown

Brown

Brown

Obviously the Red goes to the Red for the power to the MAIN switch(which works)

The manuals I have found online don't show the fuse box very well for a complete re-wire like this. Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just reiwred most of the fusebox on my '78 xs400e.

In mine -

RED (from battery) - to MAIN

RED (going up the headlight) - from MAIN

The 3 browns - all are power going in to one of the other 3 fuses. All have power when the bike is turned on with the key, and I think you could swap them around (i.e. it doesn't matter which they go to).

I think, if I remember correctly, that the Red/Yellow goes to the ignition fuse, and one of the red/white wires goes to the headlight fuse, and the other red/white to the signals - however, they all use 10 amp fuses, at least in my bike, so if you've got some switched you can test easily by seeing what works.

Put simply - pair one of the brown wires with one of the striped red wires. No browns go to browns, and no striped go to striped.

That's exactly what I thought. Thanks.

I just reiwred most of the fusebox on my '78 xs400e.

In mine -

RED (from battery) - to MAIN

RED (going up the headlight) - from MAIN

The 3 browns - all are power going in to one of the other 3 fuses. All have power when the bike is turned on with the key, and I think you could swap them around (i.e. it doesn't matter which they go to).

I think, if I remember correctly, that the Red/Yellow goes to the ignition fuse, and one of the red/white wires goes to the headlight fuse, and the other red/white to the signals - however, they all use 10 amp fuses, at least in my bike, so if you've got some switched you can test easily by seeing what works.

Put simply - pair one of the brown wires with one of the striped red wires. No browns go to browns, and no striped go to striped.

one more thing. What is the correct setup for the right handle bar switch? the kill switch is broken and someone cut the harness. i believe the wires are like this:

blue

blue

blue/white

red/white

red/yellow

brown

what is what here? and what do i need hooked together for the engine to start?

thanks again

That's exactly what I thought. Thanks.

also, what is the bare minumum to get fire to the engine? in other words, what safety switches and all have to be working? or how can i disable all the extra safety stuff to test for fire? i am getting 12v to the coils, but no spark to the plugs. i will be running off of kick start only for right now. i believe the electric starter is dead and don't want it anyway.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online