TW125 Misfiring + Spluttering

This post is 5086 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Honestly mate what your'e saying does not compute...it runs fine with no filter and filter lid removed, yet it chugs with no filter and lid re-fitted...thats incredible...either that or something is blocking the airway into the filter box, have you checked this? perhaps theres a dead mouse in the snorkel... :P

Hi

Just got another carb from france,fitted it and the stupid bike still splutters with the filter fitted,just to be sure i have changed the CDI unit and Voltage regulator but it hasnt made any difference.

I am now going to stick it in the garage before i hit it with a big stick :smash:

Update i think there might be something blocking the airway :thumbdown::bootyshake: the airbox intake is under the seat so i rode it without the seat and it pulled fine (dam uncomfortable),i have now put a row of bolts in the bracket under the seat to raise it up a couple of mill and cut out a lip on the front of the airbox beside the battery which should increase the air flow and it pulled with out juddering, i think it's still lacking a bit of power so i will look to increase the air flow a bit more ( or lose a bit of weight).

• 6 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Just got another carb from france,fitted it and the stupid bike still splutters with the filter fitted,just to be sure i have changed the CDI unit and Voltage regulator but it hasnt made any difference.

I am now going to stick it in the garage before i hit it with a big stick :smash:

Update i think there might be something blocking the airway :thumbdown::bootyshake: the airbox intake is under the seat so i rode it without the seat and it pulled fine (dam uncomfortable),i have now put a row of bolts in the bracket under the seat to raise it up a couple of mill and cut out a lip on the front of the airbox beside the battery which should increase the air flow and it pulled with out juddering, i think it's still lacking a bit of power so i will look to increase the air flow a bit more ( or lose a bit of weight).

I forgot about this thread,the bike was still playing up right up to christmas 09 ,the only way to get it to run right was by passing the air filter.

I had it in the workshop and the guy cleaned the carb checked the float level,valves,plugs and everything and couldn't find a problem.

He did wonder if me modding the air box had caused the problem so i changed the box back to a unmodding box,while doing so i checked the exhaust only to find an hole at the top or the exhaust which was leaking fumes by the airbox intake (under the seat) which i now believe was causing the problem :(

I have plugged the hole and the bike rides fine but it is off the road at the moment as my CBT and insurance ran out,mot is due next week so it will be back on the road soon .

• 3 months later...

just read your post was going to suggest 2 causes for the sudden loss of power/ misfiring firstly have you checked the compression as the rings may be worn and also have you checked the seal between the the exhaust and down pipe as these are faults i have found with my own tw 125 and these symptoms were the same i would say it was also a pain to start but thats just a common tw thing