Tank dent removal

DirtyDT
This post is 5462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I have picked up another petrol tank for the DT. Generally it is in great condition but it has a small crease at the top righthand side. At the moment I am considering 3 options. (Apart from waiting for a better tank to come along)

1 Fill it

2 put a self taper in to pull out what I can, then fill the rest. (I know heat, sparks and fuel do not mix) or glue something to the crease with epoxy and then try and pull it.

3 Try the heat it and then spray co2 or rub with dry ice.

I can't plunger it out or beat it out and I would be worried about pressurising the tank given it is old. Has anyone got a better method or advice please? I am not worried about the paint

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I have picked up another petrol tank for the DT. Generally it is in great condition but it has a small crease at the top righthand side. At the moment I am considering 3 options. (Apart from waiting for a better tank to come along)

1 Fill it

2 put a self taper in to pull out what I can, then fill the rest. (I know heat, sparks and fuel do not mix) or glue something to the crease with epoxy and then try and pull it.

3 Try the heat it and then spray co2 or rub with dry ice.

I can't plunger it out or beat it out and I would be worried about pressurising the tank given it is old. Has anyone got a better method or advice please? I am not worried about the paint

Cheers

get us a picture and we can give better advice!!

drewps

Hi Drewps,

Pic's below. The biggest is about 3 inches long. The pictures make it look worse and bigger than it is. Cheers

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

i would go with filling it and then going over the whole thing with a bit of wet&dry.

i have a similar dent on my DT50 but its horizontal and quite a bit deeper, i left it in there though... dents add character :D

Thanks WF.

The tank on the bike is better with no creases or dents but this came along as part of a bundle of stuff and it would be a shame to waste it.

Cheers.

should be able to get a spoon in there to dress out the dent!! go speak with a body shop and throw down the gaunlet!!

8556.jpg

oh BTW the heating and spraying with C02 trick doesn't work very well, i read up about it on wikipedia and t'internets when i was considering pulling all the dents out of my tank.

there was a theory behind it... but i can't remember what it was now :(

should be able to get a spoon in there to dress out the dent!! go speak with a body shop and throw down the gaunlet!!

8556.jpg

Enough of your DIY dentistry skills Drewps!!

oh BTW the heating and spraying with C02 trick doesn't work very well, i read up about it on wikipedia and t'internets when i was considering pulling all the dents out of my tank.

there was a theory behind it... but i can't remember what it was now :(

The theory was heat then cold from the minus degrees co2 confusses the dent so it pops out. A bit like childbirth I guess. I will fill it I think.

Cheers though!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online