Road Test - XT660R First 350 miles

This post is 7235 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First get this out of the way - I Love This Bike. It is my 27th bike, but the first Yamaha I have owned.

Buying it wasn't a logical decision. I had a year old CB1300 that was irritating me with a succession of little faults and basically got so peeved I wanted to get rid of it. I got the XT as a straight swap. I'd always wanted a trail type bike (some vague hard man fantasy, I suppose) and said to myself "What the hell!".

Observations:

1- Its condition on delivery was distinctly average. Marked plastics, chip on the rear wheel rim. I have complained and hope, at least, to get a new back wheel. Bikers are still 2nd class citizens, go to a showroom and see if you can find a single new bike that isn't in some way marked. Go to a car showroom and the difference is obvious.

2 - Performance. This is not a fast bike. I am still running in, but I will be amazed if it ever sees 100 mph on its digital speedo. There is no rev counter by the way. The power delivery is lazy and relaxed, There is very little vibration and the mirrors are clear. All day 70 mph cruising will be no problem.

3 - Handling. The on road handling is simply brilliant. Hard to believe, but it is a lot better than my CB1300. Any given corner can be taken 5 mph faster. 110 mph sweepers might be a problem though :wink:

4 - Brakes. What brakes? After the CB these stoppers are very weak.

5 - Living with it. Very comfortable and relaxed riding position. A bit tall. Lights are very good. Fuel consumtion is, so far, 74 mpg. Coolant level has fallen and I have been told that this is normal - I'll accept that this is OK for the time being.

6- Build Quality - Apart from the aforementioned plastics, seems to be rather good with no obvious weak spots. As good as any other make I would say.

7 - Bad points - Not much underseat storage space. Not enough room to keep the manual, yet Yamaha tell you to keep it with the bike at all times.......... err.

To conclude - This bike has character. I try to keep my bikes for three years. They don't all make it because they usually aren't good enough. This one is looking promising.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

We're in the same boat Alan....getting used to a different style of bike.

It's a bit strange really when I analyse the XT.

The negatives:

It's not fast.

It's not attractive.

It's not particularly comfortable due to the hard seat.

It's not particularly smooth cos I'm used to IL4's.

It doesn't stop that quickly, but it's OK for the performance it has.

The positives:

It's FUN....and so easy, relaxing, and liberating to ride!

Makes no sense when you analyse it....but how can you quantify a feeling?

• Admin

Nice to hear that even after all the little hates that its still a good bike, couldnt believe it hasnt got a rev counter though :shock: Didnt know they had a prob with coolant :?

• Admin

Just a thought im pretty sure the new DT hasnt got a rev counter either, so its looking sad for yamaha using this as a cost reducer :roll:

The strange thing is that the new XT costs nearly a grand more than the old model.

OK...new motor, water cooling, better build quality and design...but no rev counter.

Like the new Fazer pricing it's pitched at premium levels...hope they don't start pricing themselves out of the market.

• Admin

I could have sworn the new dt125 didnt have a speedo :?

Yep it hasnt, this is the DT Minus tacho and at £3500 :shock:

detail_05_tcm46-14222.jpg

I merely observed that there was no rev counter on the XT660R. With an engine like this it isn't particularly needed in my opinion.

The coolant level might not a problem, my dealer say it is normal on a new bike. I have topped it up and will see how it goes.

What is a strange/stupid bit of design, however, is having to take off all the side panels to top the coolant up. A one minute job becomes a 15 minute job.

Just had the 600 mile service. Usual charges just for oil and filter. Unusual price £15.

New clutch cover on the way. New grab handle (to rplace chipped one) fitted. Still waiting for carrier, bash plate and hand guards.

It poured all the way to Newtown and back 80 miles. This is a very confidence inspiring bike and I rode at virtually dry road speeds with not a single twitch. So - this bike gets a few more Brownie Points. :)

The only place that they will get outperformed by other bikes is Motorways or fast A roads.

I negotiated Cardiff city centre rush hour traffic the other week, and no other bike I've ever had (and I've had 45) has been able to carve through gridlocks like that before.

No matter what you throw at it, it just does it with ease. I'm just pissed off that I didn't discover these things before.

They really are motorcycling's best kept secret.

nah the new dt has had nothing spared, its got absolutly everything, superb little bike when it comes to componants, shame the price is so high :/

has it fuck i know for a fact that thenew dt125re hasnt got a rev counter cause i have pictures on my phone of one from fowlers and there is definetley not a rev counter. it has noe kickstart and is so ugly compared to the last one and they are stupidly slow 58mph standard only upgrades really available is exaust etc so not as good as the last one

Ya, a garmin V, pretty cool, useful over herre, can hold 19mb of extra detail in addition to its base map of highways and state rt's, when i got to Tenn, pluged in the address to the texas roadhouse in Alcoa, took me right to the front door, awsum :D

I looked on CW the other day (as you noticed) and I see you're still getting it on with Hack and his gang.

They're a fucking bunch of Dorks aren't they? Though I did laugh at H919's video of you and Hack! :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online