Oil change on an xs400

derelicte
This post is 5442 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just bought the bike on craigslist about a week ago... Previous owner had claimed it was cold blooded, and it did take a while to start when I showed up to pick it up (he jump started it with his truck, no battery), but after topping off the old battery it came with and giving it a day on a trickle charger, it starts right up. Cold in my garage it took about half a second on the electric start to fire up and settle down to a smooth idle.

I'm waiting on a Haynes manual still, so can't check this myself. First time I ran the bike it sounded kind of scratchy when running, around the top end of the engine. Oil light came on right when I shut the engine off and haven't attempted to run it since. Can post a vid clip if that would help. I can't see oil in the engine window when on the center stand but the dip stick is indicating full. Just want to change the oil first off, but don't know where the oil filter cover bolt and drain plug are located (this is my first bike). The xs400 manual posted here doesn't seem to match my engine - could someone locate the plugs for me (pics below)? Also the engine block says 2000cc oil capacity (2.1 quarts) but the online manual says 2.5.

Finally what do I need to check for when inspecting the oil filter element? The yamaha dealer will be closed for memorial day weekend and I'm hoping I can get by for a few weeks on the old one. Thanks all

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Both bolts removed. Oil came out, jet black and watery as hell and smelled STRONGLY of gas. Bike has 10xxx miles, so I doubt it's worn rings or anything like that, but Im too new to this stuff to have much of a guess. Like I said engine seemed to be running really well so I'm not sure what might have happened.

Now for my second dumb question of the day... The new oil filter came with two o-rings, a large one for the filter cover and a smaller one. I didn't see this smaller o-ring on the old filter, so am wondering if this is necessary. Will hold off on this until I get an answer since google didn't turn up anything relevant - help appreciated. tia

Scratch that second question, two, figured it out. Am still curious about that oil, though. At the very least Im sure another oil change will be due in short order to check on the oil and see if the problem is still occurring.

need to keep the oil clean as the cam runs in the head, no bearings!!

make sure you use yam oil filters as after market stuff can impede oil flow.

give the engine a good degrease bfore to take off the oil cover or you will get crud in the engine. If you are just replacing the oil its 2L if replacing the filter as wel its 2.3Litres

drewps

Just bought the bike on craigslist about a week ago... Previous owner had claimed it was cold blooded, and it did take a while to start when I showed up to pick it up (he jump started it with his truck, no battery), but after topping off the old battery it came with and giving it a day on a trickle charger, it starts right up. Cold in my garage it took about half a second on the electric start to fire up and settle down to a smooth idle.

I'm waiting on a Haynes manual still, so can't check this myself. First time I ran the bike it sounded kind of scratchy when running, around the top end of the engine. Oil light came on right when I shut the engine off and haven't attempted to run it since. Can post a vid clip if that would help. I can't see oil in the engine window when on the center stand but the dip stick is indicating full. Just want to change the oil first off, but don't know where the oil filter cover bolt and drain plug are located (this is my first bike). The xs400 manual posted here doesn't seem to match my engine - could someone locate the plugs for me (pics below)? Also the engine block says 2000cc oil capacity (2.1 quarts) but the online manual says 2.5.

Finally what do I need to check for when inspecting the oil filter element? The yamaha dealer will be closed for memorial day weekend and I'm hoping I can get by for a few weeks on the old one. Thanks all

IMG_0862.jpg

If you have not replaced the oil yet undo the cover with the 6 bolts in and clean out the strainer also ... With fuel in the oil the worse case is worn cylinder/piston and/or rings .... just keep an eye on it !!!

Regards Jim

Oil came out, jet black and watery as hell and smelled STRONGLY of gas.

Fuel in the oil can be caused by a dodgy needle valve (in the carb float chamber) and the fuel tap left on prime. This allows fuel to flow through the carb(s) and into the cylinder where it finds its way past the piston rings and into the oil.

Started hard today, electric start wasn't doing it so I left it in the sun all day while at work, returned and still no luck on the electric start --> bump started (2nd gear... bad to make a habit of this?). Anyway started and ran like crap for a few minutes but seemed to level off and run stronger, maybe because I had the carbs out? I had to pull them to tighten a bolt that was sticking out about a quarter inch (sorry guys still no repair manual so I can't say exactly which bolt, but it held the carb "boot" to the engine).

Basically my concern at this point is that scratchiness I'm still hearing after putting in some fresh 20w50. I'll have a video up in half an hour and hopefully a few of you experts can comment on it.

Started hard today, electric start wasn't doing it so I left it in the sun all day while at work, returned and still no luck on the electric start --> bump started (2nd gear... bad to make a habit of this?). Anyway started and ran like crap for a few minutes but seemed to level off and run stronger, maybe because I had the carbs out? I had to pull them to tighten a bolt that was sticking out about a quarter inch (sorry guys still no repair manual so I can't say exactly which bolt, but it held the carb "boot" to the engine).

Basically my concern at this point is that scratchiness I'm still hearing after putting in some fresh 20w50. I'll have a video up in half an hour and hopefully a few of you experts can comment on it.

Hi,

where's the video ?

Regards Jim

Hi,

where's the video ?

Regards Jim

Haha sorry guys, I went to put it up immediately after and the upload failed, and had attempted a few times since before finally switching to a different website to host it. Here's the link;

th_MVI_0870.jpg .

have you had the cam cover off, does sound like a dry camshaft.

it only takes 1/2 hour to do, tank off, tacho off, head steady and undo the bolts in a criss cross pattern.

if therre's oil in the little "wells" and there is no scoring, have a butchers at the cam shaft chain/tensioners

drewps

have you had the cam cover off, does sound like a dry camshaft.

it only takes 1/2 hour to do, tank off, tacho off, head steady and undo the bolts in a criss cross pattern.

if therre's oil in the little "wells" and there is no scoring, have a butchers at the cam shaft chain/tensioners

drewps

Hi Drewps

Sounds like a major job ... last time I heard an XS400 in the 'throws of death' it cost the owner a head, cover, cam & oil pump along with other bits that were needed as the engine was pulled (this was in 1982 and cost approx £700 to put right). so perhaps if another engine can be found it could be cheaper !! unless you want to rebuild it ! but I guess your time in the US may cost more than another engine ... but I'll do it ½ price :lol:

Regards Jim

Hi Drewps

Sounds like a major job ... last time I heard an XS400 in the 'throws of death' it cost the owner a head, cover, cam & oil pump along with other bits that were needed as the engine was pulled (this was in 1982 and cost approx £700 to put right). so perhaps if another engine can be found it could be cheaper !! unless you want to rebuild it ! but I guess your time in the US may cost more than another engine ... but I'll do it ½ price :lol:

Regards Jim

Definitely needs attention though? Still waiting on that manual to flip through for a few hours and get more of a feel for the bike, so I myself can't tell if this is a serious problem or not. Again, I bought it and it had a lot of gas in the oil, oil light came on after I shut it down that first night, and I've since changed the oil and filter expecting that to be related to the oil light and sounds from the top end. Nothing else messed with so far, and light still on after I ran and shut down the engine after the oil change.

Definitely needs attention though? Still waiting on that manual to flip through for a few hours and get more of a feel for the bike, so I myself can't tell if this is a serious problem or not. Again, I bought it and it had a lot of gas in the oil, oil light came on after I shut it down that first night, and I've since changed the oil and filter expecting that to be related to the oil light and sounds from the top end. Nothing else messed with so far, and light still on after I ran and shut down the engine after the oil change.

The oil light will ALWAYS come on after you shut down the engine, least on my 77. It's a low oil pressure indicator and an off engine has no pressure. it's when that light turns on and the engine IS running that you start to have problems and risk seizing the engine. Either way, that sound doesn't sound very pleasant.

Hi

When new it would take a good 10 ~ 15 secs for the oil light to come on after the engine was stopped .. if it stays on while running there are major problems there .... it should go out after a few seconds of the engine starting !

After listening to your 'sound track' I do think you need to look in the engine NOW before damage is done that will no longer be able to be fixed !!! (loss of parts that are no longer on the shelf)

Regards Jim

Hi

When new it would take a good 10 ~ 15 secs for the oil light to come on after the engine was stopped .. if it stays on while running there are major problems there .... it should go out after a few seconds of the engine starting !

After listening to your 'sound track' I do think you need to look in the engine NOW before damage is done that will no longer be able to be fixed !!! (loss of parts that are no longer on the shelf)

Regards Jim

After reading your reply to the xs500 post, sounds like im experiencing "total engine meltdown" lol. New rear tire is coming in soon and I will have it looked at when the bike is out having that installed for a secone opinion. If it needs serious work, I may have to sell locally. The oil light has never been on with the engine running, just after shutdownl; the loss of pressure would definitely make sense, excuse my ignorance on that one (the manual will come in by the time I sell this thing).

After reading your reply to the xs500 post, sounds like im experiencing "total engine meltdown" lol. New rear tire is coming in soon and I will have it looked at when the bike is out having that installed for a secone opinion. If it needs serious work, I may have to sell locally. The oil light has never been on with the engine running, just after shutdownl; the loss of pressure would definitely make sense, excuse my ignorance on that one (the manual will come in by the time I sell this thing).

Hi

It may not be total meltdown but it does rattle a bit which does make me think it is a bit 'worn out' just tred careful !!

Regards Jim

Hi

It may not be total meltdown but it does rattle a bit which does make me think it is a bit 'worn out' just tred careful !!

Regards Jim

Will have it looked at when it goes in to have the new rear tire mounted and post up a new thread with an update from there. Until then it sits in the garage. Thanks all

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online