Fitting new chain and sprockets

Rich_B
This post is 5602 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, having bought a chain and sprocket kit I now need to find a tool to rivet the new rivet! Now then being a bit, well ok a lot, hard up I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap alternative to purchasing a £40 Breaker/Riveter?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, having bought a chain and sprocket kit I now need to find a tool to rivet the new rivet! Now then being a bit, well ok a lot, hard up I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap alternative to purchasing a £40 Breaker/Riveter?

borrow one ;)

borrow one ;)

:yeahthat:

I did!

:D :D :D

Hi,

Get a connecting / joining link with a spring clip to match your type of chain. These have been used on bikes for nearly 100 years although in recent years they have lost favour. I have no idea why, They are a smart quick fix, are easy to fit and relatively cheap.

I buy chain in bulk lenghts and use these clips to save money. Never had a problem when fitted properly with clip 'U" shape facing direction of running chain.

Regards.

I agree with sluggo.

A loose link is the way to go. You can anglegrind or hacksaw the old chain off. If you fit a loose link then make sure that the holding clip is facing the right way. The closed side faces the direction of travel.

Thank you for your advice :)

The DID chain came with a rivet link so I'm gonna use it this time.

anybody near Lincoln wanna lend me there tool?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online