ferry tips

drewpy
This post is 5438 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Not long till NW200.

never took the bike on a ferry before.

If anyone has got any tips to doing this (bring own straps. covers, best to park etc) I would be grateful and and "ferry" appreciative ! :lol:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not long till NW200.

If anyone has got any tips to doing this (bring own straps. covers, best to park etc) I would be grateful and and "ferry" appreciative ! :lol:

from XRV .org not personal experience

Not sure about who straps bikes on ferries: different companies operate differently. Some will elbow you out of the way, some will leave you to it and check or help if you ask. But the question about liability if they fall doesn't arise because of the way they are strapped.

You put the bike on the side-stand, the strap goes over the seat and is tightened, compressing the suspension. Once tightened, the pressure of the suspension against the strap means the bike is not going anywhere. Some people like to take a cable-tie to put round the front brake lever but it seems unnecessary to me. The only time I've known a bike go over is when a chap on the Lerwick-Faeroes crossing strapped his own bike on the centre-stand and we ran through a force 9. Luckily it caught on the strap so didn't skittle into other vehicles but it did not look clever. If it had been on the side-stand it simply would not have come loose.

In case it is not obvious, take an old piece of thick towelling - better still a bit of sheepskin (leather and wool) - to put on the seat to pass the strap over.

Not long till NW200.

Where is NW200 sailing from/to ?

Regards Jim

Where is NW200 sailing from/to ?

Regards Jim

god your pendantic Jim!! :D

the NW200 is the Northern Irish road race. we are sailing from stranrae 2 hour journey on the ferry!!

from XRV .org not personal experience

cheers Merv! I guess use their straps then and we don't get blamed if it goes pear shaped

drewps

god your pendantic Jim!! :D

the NW200 is the Northern Irish road race. we are sailing from stranrae 2 hour journey on the ferry!!

Hi Drewps,

not that pedantic ... just used the wrong grammer I was just trying to ascertain which ferry company you were using so I guess you will be doing Stranrar/Belfast ? Last time I went to NI I went from Pembroke to Rosslare and road 'up country' on my crossing company operatives took charge of the bike and stowed it ... but I must admit this was back in the days of long boats !

Regards Jim

This worried me too. The Holyhead/Dublin ferry (Stena line) said they do all the strapping when I called to ask so if you're doing Stranraer - Belfast route you know the answer already. The Cairnryan - Larne is P&O so dunno about that one.

When me and the wife did the isle of man they strapped them down. But they didn't just compress the springs, they wound it down till it stopped as in right down to the stops,and they are proper rachet straps like the stuff on trucks just as shitty with crap too, and yes i did see a ripped seat.

People generally either had some sort of cover on the seat ready or used their jacket.

i've emailed the ferry company with my concerns.

thanks for the tips guys

here's the reply

"Thank you for contacting Stena Line.

Motor bikes are secured by strapping or ropes, you can secure the bike, but our staff will offer assistance where necessary. As this a classic motorcycle, I would advise to bring a piece of fabric or thicker materiel (some drivers have been known to use their gloves) this is placed below the strap or rope and would ensure no movement during the voyage.

We carry hundreds bikes during the North West 200 with very few complaints, if your bike is damaged by us, while on a Stena Line ship, the issue will be investigated, and if our staff are found negligent, we will cover this with our insurance.

We hope you enjoy your forthcoming journey, "

here's the reply

"Thank you for contacting Stena Line.

Motor bikes are secured by strapping or ropes, you can secure the bike, but our staff will offer assistance where necessary. As this a classic motorcycle, I would advise to bring a piece of fabric or thicker material (some drivers have been known to use their gloves) this is placed below the strap or rope and would ensure no movement during the voyage.

We carry hundreds bikes during the North West 200 with very few complaints, if your bike is damaged by us, while on a Stena Line ship, the issue will be investigated, and if our staff are found negligent, we will cover this with our insurance.

We hope you enjoy your forthcoming journey, "

hmm

That sounds a little non committal just insure 'old Salty' does his job properly and perhaps take a 'thick material' pad & a bouncer with you for good measure :D:D

As long as you watch what they do you should be ok ....

Regards Jim

Went to Gurnsey on the Condor seacat last month - by car, <_< but saw that they covered the bikes with something like a thick duvet before strapping them down. They also had wheel chocks, one under the back and front wheels. They weren't going anywhere.

hi drewpy

any time i traveled they supplied the straps and you can tie the bike down yourself or they will do it -just like the reply stated. make ssure the forks/shock is well compressed though cause it sea can get a bit choppy in the middle.

you say the boat takes 2 hours this means your on the slow boat, if it was the fast boat, seacat HSS then go on the boat last as its not as bumpy at the arse end.

what is it your coming over for again??? :lol: