exhaust paint.

russ500
This post is 5487 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

can anyone tell me of a good paint to put on the exhaust.

the one i use now is not much good.im looking for one with a shine,all the ones i have seen are matt. :rolleyes:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

is it for the DT?

I use Plasti kote barbecue paint from Wilkinsons stores, only a fiver a tin and is as good as any purpose made exhaust paint, its the same satin finish as the original stuff too; you do have to be meticulous in rust removal to get good results and you should also re-do as necessary. Don't expect it to last if you use your bike in the wet or rain...none of them do, even the paint straight out of the factory has a short life in the wet. Look after that exhaust its very expensive and hard to replace now!

Here's my bike with freshly painted exhaust

Copyof05_24_081.jpg

And heres another I did a few weeks ago

100_835.jpg

...Paul

can anyone tell me of a good paint to put on the exhaust.

the one i use now is not much good.im looking for one with a shine,all the ones i have seen are matt. :rolleyes:

When they restored the XT500 in CMM they had it coated with some sort of ceramic. Apparently it will last for ages and keep looking original. I dont think its cheap but looks like that DT could be worth it.

is it for the DT?

no not on the dt need it for the sr500 thanks,the dt has a hard enamel looking paint like a factory finnish.

that looks good ,would that work on the engine.

I also use the BBQ paint on my exhausts......but VHT case paint works excellent on motor pieces. ;)

i second the woodstove paint, cleaned most of the rust and sh*t off my downpipe with a wirebrush and then gave it a couple of coats of paint, seems to be holding up well :)

also used it to touch up the cases, some fo the paint rubs off where my boots are always up against them

hey" can i do my rad with the same stuff,, ????
been down to my local willkinsons there out of stock.

hey" can i do my rad with the same stuff,, ????

I suppose so, but the trouble with rads is you cant clean them up as they are fill of very soft and thin membranes, you will just have to do what you can and maybe blow it through with compressed air before spraying.

I would buy two when they get it in at only a fiver each, like I said before you need to keep up with regular touch ups

I would buy two when they get it in at only a fiver each, like I said before you need to keep up with regular touch ups

is that the normal price oldgit or is that the pensioners price ! no buy one get one free lol

i am just wanting to freshing my rad up a bit,,

its full of dead flies and nasty looking marks gonna blow all the dead bugs and stuff out and give it a freshing up,, am hopeing it is ok! :lol:

None here either - Old Git's bought it all! :angry:

is there any way to stop the blistering under the paint?, my DT exhaust is right behind the front wheel and gets caked in sh*t, when i clean the exhaust it tends to take some of the paint off or i find that it has blistered up and is flaking.

i did consider making a little brush guard to keep the majority of the sh*t off the exhaust, but much like the rest of my projects i haven't got round to it

so many questions - and for the most part the answer is plasticote "152" woodstove/BBQ paint (which claims to be heat resistant up to 425°c) - I first got it from B&Q (albeit at £15 a pop!) I've seen it at wilkos and my local "the Range" both about a fiver. (I felt proper DONE, i got through three cans from B&Q when I first converted my chrome pipes to black - £45 instead of £15!!!)

There are other similar paints - like VHT, I know someone that swears by Fast Black and I've just picked up a can of "hotspot - high temperature" which claims to be heat resistant up to 650°c! (not used it yet though!)

as for the radiator - if you want to do a really good job, take it off, plug it up and stick it in a sand blaster to remove all the debris and privious paint - then re-spray it.

and the blistering under the paint - I'd strip back the paint, deal with the rust (wire brush and sandpaper or sand blaster if you have access to one) then re-paint.

and the blistering under the paint - I'd strip back the paint, deal with the rust (wire brush and sandpaper or sand blaster if you have access to one) then re-paint.

I agree, the blistering is most likely caused by poor preperation in the first instance, you really do have to be thorough in cleaning. I use a dremmel type thing and sanding drums, wet & dry, Jenolite rust remover, wear surgical gloves because even your skin will leave oil on the surface and finally before spraying a wipe down with a rag damp with white spirit...as they say...you get out what you put in, no truer words when it comes to bike restoration. ;)

If you are passing Trago mills in devon or cornwall plastikote is a hell of a lot cheaper there I:E £3/£4 a can,

it is just off the A38 near newton abbot, rigt bedie the 138 near liskeard in cornwall, and one in Falmouth, Merthyr tydfil comin soon trago mills

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online