Sealing exhaust?

wild foamy
This post is 5634 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone

been tinkering with my Jawa over the holidays and finally got it running nicely, but it seems that it is blowing from the joint where the exhaust headers meet the expansion chambers, is there a way i can seal this up as no doubt this will have some effect on how the bike runs (lack of backpressure).

took it for a spin around the estate and its got a lot of go to say the least! :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi everyone

been tinkering with my Jawa over the holidays and finally got it running nicely, but it seems that it is blowing from the joint where the exhaust headers meet the expansion chambers, is there a way i can seal this up as no doubt this will have some effect on how the bike runs (lack of backpressure).

took it for a spin around the estate and its got a lot of go to say the least! :D

Hi W/F

A Jawa running well that sounds odd ! but going back to the point in question as the Jawa 350 twin is well old school there is no need to add modern tech to it (back pressure etc) .. the beast will run with no silencers/expansion chambers as well as it it does with them.. sorry to pee on ur bonfire but I sold the Skoda/Jawa bike new and it was good as a £400 bike would do (new that is) I guess your bike is at the end of the production cycle but I would think it would be the same as the good old 70's Jawa twin (motor wise), with later styling and 'body work'. Compared with a DT50 the 350 will seem well powerful try puting that against an RD350B/400 it would get well 'lost'

Regards Jim

aslong as its bigger and faster than the DT i dont mind, lol.

also it tends to pop and spit oil from the join in the exhaust system and i would prefer to have it sealed up so it sounds a bit nicer.

starts first kick ever time

Hi W/F

A Jawa running well that sounds odd ! but going back to the point in question as the Jawa 350 twin is well old school there is no need to add modern tech to it (back pressure etc) .. the beast will run with no silencers/expansion chambers as well as it it does with them.. sorry to pee on ur bonfire but I sold the Skoda/Jawa bike new and it was good as a £400 bike would do (new that is) I guess your bike is at the end of the production cycle but I would think it would be the same as the good old 70's Jawa twin (motor wise), with later styling and 'body work'. Compared with a DT50 the 350 will seem well powerful try puting that against an RD350B/400 it would get well 'lost'

Regards Jim

or even a rd250 :D :D :D :D

Between the expansion chamber and exhaust on the dt where there is supposed to be a ring/gasket of some description, I ran a bead of gasket silicon stuff around the male bit (a touch oversize), waited for it to set and jammed it in. Seems to be holding

Between the expansion chamber and exhaust on the dt where there is supposed to be a ring/gasket of some description, I ran a bead of gasket silicon stuff around the male bit (a touch oversize), waited for it to set and jammed it in. Seems to be holding

Hi DtGordo,

we are talking about the big (?) blue dragon ... a Jawa 350 and not the DT50 .. the Jawa has some stout front pipes attached to some odd silencers, in this case I would guess some one in the past has applied some after market exhausts which don't seal as the O.E.M silencers did against the oem front pipes

Regards Jim

yes, this is the Big blue dragon im talking about (jawa):), it seams the standard "Style" bikes had a set of spannies, where as the "De Lux" versions had chrome one-piece pipes, so i dont think these are aftermarket.

will probably try the silicone gasket trick and see if that helps

Ooooooo, Okey Dokey. She might blow out then. If it doesn't work I saw some Yamaha exhaust gasket that wasn't actually a gasket but looked like some sort of treated fire proof string. That would have to last better but I've got no idea what it's called.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online