Fazer 600 cooling fan

volvot5boy
This post is 4734 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, new to the motorbike scene so be gentle... ;) I've just bought a 1999 Fazer 600 after passing my test in Feb with 34000mls for £900. It has full history and looks to have been well maintained though it does look like it has been used as a commuter.

After riding it, it seems ok and very quick(for me anyway). My question is about the cooling fan and what temp will it kick in as yet i've not seen it working but not knowing much about bikes not sure if they come in as often as a car's cooling fan....

P.S it doesn't have a temp gauge just the warning light on the rev counter which hasn't came on and hope it never does. That's assuming it works... :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It Won`t come on often in this country !!! well not unless we have a very warm summer ?? the only times the cooling fan came on on the wifes Fazer was in the south of France and if she leaves the bike running at a stand for a long while.

I fitted a over ride switch in the fan circuit so she could turn the fan on when we are in slow/stopped traffic, if she thought the engine was getting a little too warm, no real need for it but just helps keeps the oil a little cooler, we usualy have a couple of biking holidays a year over on the continent, but for this country there is realy no need.

The Haynes manual gives details of how to check both the fan operation and the temp light.

The owners Manual is HERE

Cheers, that info has put my mind at rest. Really getting into this biking scene wish i'd done it years ago instead of waiting until i'm 37....... :rolleyes:

Thanks again..... will consider putting an overide switch like you suggested also..

It Won`t come on often in this country !!! well not unless we have a very warm summer ?? the only times the cooling fan came on on the wifes Fazer was in the south of France and if she leaves the bike running at a stand for a long while.

I fitted a over ride switch in the fan circuit so she could turn the fan on when we are in slow/stopped traffic, if she thought the engine was getting a little too warm, no real need for it but just helps keeps the oil a little cooler, we usualy have a couple of biking holidays a year over on the continent, but for this country there is realy no need.

The Haynes manual gives details of how to check both the fan operation and the temp light.

• 5 months later...

it only comes on at 100degrees on my 2008 fazer which is when i leave it standing for a while most of the time or on a warm day in really bad traffic where i cannot filter. this override switch sounds interesting any more details on it would be appreciated my email is [email protected]

any information on cost of the parts and fitting would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Ian Pether

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I own a Fazer 600 2002 model and I also have never heard the cooling fan come on. The fan works fine, I bypassed the cooling fan switch and the fan spun into life. The overheating light has never came on either however it does light up when I turn the ignition on. I have driven the bike until it's hot the parked up with the engine running for over 5 minutes and still nothing...I dare not leave it any longer!

Are the cooling fan and overheating indicator mechanisms independent, if so I'd be more comfortable to assume everything is okay.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Del

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online