Xs400 special II won't kick over after spring maint

WallyWales
This post is 5645 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I helped my fiend with his xs400 special II, with spring maintenance. last fall he parked his bike after it wouldn't start in later october. We speculated that is was the carbs, I took them off and soaked the in carb cleaner, cleaned out the jets, installed new needle's and gaskets. Proceeded to adjust the valves as per the manual, exhaust .018 and intake .010, changed the oil and filter, prefilled the filter before installation and new plugs.

After we got everthing installed and torqued, fill the gas tank with fresh fuel. We noticed the battey is dead as a doornail. So instead of waiting for the battery t charge I decide to start kicking it over, after about 10 kicks it seizes just after TDC on the right cylinder. I manually turn the motor over backwards hal a revolution and it stops.

Not sure if I should look in the top end or bottom any I deas would help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well the best I've come up with so far is that the timing chain slipped or broke and a valve is now down when it should be up, so wish us luck and post your best references for online parts for a topend rebuild

well that what i was going to say my best tip for a top end rebuild buy a 2 stroke!!! no keep a cm,era near and take a few pics as you take things apart,replace all bearings etc, theymay cos ta bit of money but it wll be even more expensive and annoying if they a month down the line and if the chain is not broken rpelce it eh.

Merv

I think you need to check the valve gaps. I doubt that cam timimg can slip as a chain can't physically jump a tooth whilst sitting in a garage!!

could also be hydraulic lock! maybe the previuos owner poured a load of oil down the bores in preparation of storing it?

take off the sparkies and gap the valves, than try again

drewps

I think you need to check the valve gaps. I doubt that cam timimg can slip as a chain can't physically jump a tooth whilst sitting in a garage!!

could also be hydraulic lock! maybe the previuos owner poured a load of oil down the bores in preparation of storing it?

take off the sparkies and gap the valves, than try again

drewps

Well, we gapped them to start with, they were both tight and we gapped them according to the manual, intake .10, exhaust .18 if I remember right.

I'm guessing it slipped after I kicked it over several times. and last fall he kicked it over trying to start it for about 30 minutes. No winterization either, I was trying to teach him good motorcycle maintenance procedures, and when we thought we were done thats when this happened

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online