Seat recovering

wild foamy
This post is 5581 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

whats the best way to re-cover a seat?, the one on my Jawa needs doing as it is ripped and looking a bit sh*gged out.

rather than sending it off and getting it done id prefer to do it myself, anyone know any good walkthroughs/tips for recovering seats?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone.

whats the best way to re-cover a seat?, the one on my Jawa needs doing as it is ripped and looking a bit sh*gged out.

rather than sending it off and getting it done id prefer to do it myself, anyone know any good walkthroughs/tips for recovering seats?

Get a cover that is designed for the bike - there are some good copies out there, if not cough up for the manufacturers own!

If the seat base is plastic then you will need a HEAVY DUTY stapler - start at one end, (I have started at the back first on the ones I have done) and work forward - make sure that you pull out any wrinkles or saggy bits as you move forward. Don't be afraid to take the staples out and start again. I have found the key is to keep it tight, and work slowly and methodically.

If your seat has a metal base the cover is usually held on with one way fasteners (get new ones) - again the key is slow, steady and keep the seat cover tight.

I have done a couple of seats successfully - and am about to do another soon.......

Good luck with yours.

:D :D :D

a new Jawa seat would have to be ordered from germany, not too keen on that idea as i am likely to get buggered for shipping, import tax, duties e.t.c

got a heavy duty staple gun so the tooling isnt a problem, only real problem i have is that the Jawa seat isn't completely flat, its got sorta a raised pillion section on the seat

IMAG0003.jpg

You can just about see it in the above photo

you should not get charged import duty from germany cos we are one Europe now, at least that is how i understand it as long as the vat is paid in the country of origin in Europe you are ok, when i was thinking of importing a bike i spoke to customs and all they wanted to know was that it was in the country and sent me the form to tell them about it

Merv

steve if you follow fosdykes instructions you will not go far wrong i have just recovered my seat and done it just as described as he says dont be afraid to take out staples and retighten or start again, when you take of the old seat take it off and you can use it get the size and shape for your new material,my seat is also raised on the front (fz600) it took 2 or 3 attempts to get all the creases out stretching and re stapling but i got there in the end and now dont get a wet bum after its been raining lol .

as for import duty anything from within the europeon union you dont pay as mervin said, if you order from the states or any country outside of the european union get them to mark it as a gift as then you dont pay import duty .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online