bogging down yamaha dt125re

This post is 5488 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all im new to this forum :D

i have a problem with my 56reg dt125re i can only put it into 6th gear at 65mph+ if i try putting it in 6th gear at 60mph it bogs down and starts to slow, and even if i have it in 6th gear and i have to slow down for cars ahead it wont build back up i have to drop down and do the hole procedure again is thier any 1 else with this problem or had it before, if so what was the result of the problem and how was it fixed

cheers

dazz

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi all im new to this forum :D

i have a problem with my 56reg dt125re i can only put it into 6th gear at 65mph+ if i try putting it in 6th gear at 60mph it bogs down and starts to slow, and even if i have it in 6th gear and i have to slow down for cars ahead it wont build back up i have to drop down and do the hole procedure again is thier any 1 else with this problem or had it before, if so what was the result of the problem and how was it fixed

cheers wow,i did not know a 125 could go that fast.

dazz

i did not know a 125 could go that fast

is that a sarcastic remark cos all im wanting is some help with my problem not sarcastic people trying to be funny

They do tend to bog in 6th unless you get the revs right although i noticed a dep pipe did help a bit with this case, i duno if you have one or not?

i did not know a 125 could go that fast

is that a sarcastic remark cos all im wanting is some help with my problem not sarcastic people trying to be funny

Hey...maybe it wasnt a sarcastic remark and as a noob you should try get to know people here before comments like that!

They do tend to bog in 6th unless you get the revs right although i noticed a dep pipe did help a bit with this case, i duno if you have one or not?

i yea already have dep exhaust on bike cheers though

i yea already have dep exhaust on bike cheers though

Ive got an 05 Dtr, i use 6th from 40-80 and its a steady acceleration.

What have you done with the bike de restriction wise? Ive done the powervalve, and also im not sure if your aware but on these laster models with the electric start, theres a cable thats goes into the back of the speedo which can be earthed to the frame. If you do this it stops it from retarding the revs at 7k. Doesnt sound like this is your problem but just thought it be worth a mention.

Does it perform fine in all other gears then?

As i say for general riding ill chance into 6th quite early and just run at lowish revs, saves money :D

But if i need to show another 125 how good the dt's are, and im sitting in the powerbands ill let it hoon i 5htup til around 65. Not to say it bogs down or runs slow before then but its just when i get the optimum power, which which the YPVS on these is pretty impressive for a 125 :D

Ive got an 05 Dtr, i use 6th from 40-80 and its a steady acceleration.

What have you done with the bike de restriction wise? Ive done the powervalve, and also im not sure if your aware but on these laster models with the electric start, theres a cable thats goes into the back of the speedo which can be earthed to the frame. If you do this it stops it from retarding the revs at 7k. Doesnt sound like this is your problem but just thought it be worth a mention.

Does it perform fine in all other gears then?

As i say for general riding ill chance into 6th quite early and just run at lowish revs, saves money :D

But if i need to show another 125 how good the dt's are, and im sitting in the powerbands ill let it hoon i 5htup til around 65. Not to say it bogs down or runs slow before then but its just when i get the optimum power, which which the YPVS on these is pretty impressive for a 125 :D

hi,

i havent done anything de restricting wise just bought the bike as it was, it works fine in every other gear but its just 6th, i can ride at 30/40/50mph in 6th but its just at 60mph it struggles and just slows down, but if i ride in 5th up to 65mph and thts ragging it upto 65mph then change to 6th its fine its just below that it just slows right down, plus when im in 6th it will onli do about 70/75mph

hi,

i havent done anything de restricting wise just bought the bike as it was, it works fine in every other gear but its just 6th, i can ride at 30/40/50mph in 6th but its just at 60mph it struggles and just slows down, but if i ride in 5th up to 65mph and thts ragging it upto 65mph then change to 6th its fine its just below that it just slows right down, plus when im in 6th it will onli do about 70/75mph

My dt125r 2006reg with 11000, all original will do easily 65mph. Anything after that and you can hear the engine creaming and struggling. It's up to you but if you want those high speeds i think you could be doing some real damage to the engine.

hi,

hmmm i remember my friends 02 DT had the same problem, i cant remember what he did to fix it but ill ask him. He may not have had time to fix it as a few weeks later he blew it up anway lol. The pin holding the piston ring in place was faulty, the ring got stuck in a port as the piston came down and he ended up with a chunk missing from his piston. He's since had a rebore and new piston and rings lol!

hmmm i remember my friends 02 DT had the same problem, i cant remember what he did to fix it but ill ask him. He may not have had time to fix it as a few weeks later he blew it up anway lol. The pin holding the piston ring in place was faulty, the ring got stuck in a port as the piston came down and he ended up with a chunk missing from his piston. He's since had a rebore and new piston and rings lol!

lol cheers if you could ask your freind that would be great also, the part where you was on about the black and green cable where abouts is it off the speedo i found 1 black and green cable but i didnt want to snip it and earth it and it end up being the wrong 1 is it possible you could post a picture of the correct 1 for me please and also what difference does it make :D

6th gear at 60mph it bogs down and starts to slow,
Hi / Get the DT on a down hill road . It shud pull top gear to max , -If it does , Then the bikes too high gear"d [ sprockets] If it still dosn"t pull flat out down hill , Then is restricted. <_<

That reminds me of a newspaper clip from years ago[ court report]

A farmer caught speeding in a 7.5 ton lorrie 59 mph [ in i 50 limit] b. road

After passing sentence the judge asks " have u anthing to say for yourself"???

Farmer says " aye it was flat oot" :lol::lol: true story

Hi / Get the DT on a down hill road . It shud pull top gear to max , -If it does , Then the bikes too high gear"d [ sprockets] If it still dosn"t pull flat out down hill , Then is restricted. <_<

That reminds me of a newspaper clip from years ago[ court report]

A farmer caught speeding in a 7.5 ton lorrie 59 mph [ in i 50 limit] b. road

After passing sentence the judge asks " have u anthing to say for yourself"???

Farmer says " aye it was flat oot" :lol::lol: true story

cheers mate can try it only 1 way to find out i think sprocket on rear is 52tooth witch i think is standard not sure though

lol cheers if you could ask your freind that would be great also, the part where you was on about the black and green cable where abouts is it off the speedo i found 1 black and green cable but i didnt want to snip it and earth it and it end up being the wrong 1 is it possible you could post a picture of the correct 1 for me please and also what difference does it make :D

The NEW restriction that is used on these bikes is a simple one to fix:

Going into the speedo is a four pin connecting block. There are 4 wires going into the block and only 3 wires coming out the speedo side. Just find the Green/Black wire going into the block, clip it to separate it from the block, and strip the end and join a small piece of wire to it (long enough to to join to an earth on the frame). When the Green/Black wire is earthed to the frame this stops the YPVS from retarding over 7000 RPM. The engine should rev freely now.

If it still doesn't then take the front pipe off and check that the Powervalve is fitted the correct way round as described in the de-restricting section for the '97-'99 models.

Taken from this website. its a great litle resource for begginers such as us :D

http://www.dtr125.net/tuningf.htm

ill take a photo later 2nite and post it up 2moro if i have time. Im currently working on putting together a 1986 dt125lc mk3, which is prooving troublesome, especially when you have the new guy in the local yam dealer asking you if its a dtr, and then trying to order me parts from a 96 model......Goon. 1 hour to try and order the swing arm bushes and oil seals! doh!

The NEW restriction that is used on these bikes is a simple one to fix:

Going into the speedo is a four pin connecting block. There are 4 wires going into the block and only 3 wires coming out the speedo side. Just find the Green/Black wire going into the block, clip it to separate it from the block, and strip the end and join a small piece of wire to it (long enough to to join to an earth on the frame). When the Green/Black wire is earthed to the frame this stops the YPVS from retarding over 7000 RPM. The engine should rev freely now.

If it still doesn't then take the front pipe off and check that the Powervalve is fitted the correct way round as described in the de-restricting section for the '97-'99 models.

Taken from this website. its a great litle resource for begginers such as us :D

http://www.dtr125.net/tuningf.htm

ill take a photo later 2nite and post it up 2moro if i have time. Im currently working on putting together a 1986 dt125lc mk3, which is prooving troublesome, especially when you have the new guy in the local yam dealer asking you if its a dtr, and then trying to order me parts from a 96 model......Goon. 1 hour to try and order the swing arm bushes and oil seals! doh!

lol what a spoon rite ive done the job lol it works a treat i got 70mph in 5th lol was well chuffed with it, i ended up earthing it on the bottom of the yokes so i only needed about 3 inch of wire lol, so roughly what bhp do you think dtre's will have with this little mod then andy:D, bi the way thanks for the info that has made me smile big time lol:D:D:D

lol what a spoon rite ive done the job lol it works a treat i got 70mph in 5th lol was well chuffed with it, i ended up earthing it on the bottom of the yokes so i only needed about 3 inch of wire lol, so roughly what bhp do you think dtre's will have with this little mod then andy:D, bi the way thanks for the info that has made me smile big time lol:D:D:D

Haha glad to hear it. Yeah i would have loved to have seen my face when i first did it and went down the duals. I've no idea what effect it has bhp wise tho im afraid. The only bhp figures ive heard of surrounding the dtr's is that they have 13.5 standard and if you want to you can squeeze 20. I dont think ill try that tho, im tempted to get off my arse and get the full test done so i can get a bigger bike, looking at the Xt660 merely cos i saw one in the yamaha dealer the other day :D

im tempted to get off my arse and get the full test done so i can get a bigger bike, looking at the Xt660 merely cos i saw one in the yamaha dealer the other day :D

i was tempted to do full test but i thought wot is the point cos i have heard ov a few people doin their test and then goin ahead and buying brand new bike then a week later you hear that they are either in the repair shop or scrap yard, so i ended up doin the 125 test that restricts me to 33bhp for the first 2 years of having licence then after that then i can buy what i want, and in those two years it gets you road wise done it, i've got my eye's on a yami wr426f next,very mean machine in my eyes lol carnt wait lol:D

im tempted to get off my arse and get the full test done so i can get a bigger bike, looking at the Xt660 merely cos i saw one in the yamaha dealer the other day :D

i was tempted to do full test but i thought wot is the point cos i have heard ov a few people doin their test and then goin ahead and buying brand new bike then a week later you hear that they are either in the repair shop or scrap yard, so i ended up doin the 125 test that restricts me to 33bhp for the first 2 years of having licence then after that then i can buy what i want, and in those two years it gets you road wise done it, i've got my eye's on a yami wr426f next,very mean machine in my eyes lol carnt wait lol:D

What test is that? I was under the impression that on a cbt u could ride up to a 125, then you take a test to allow you to ride any bike, as long as its restricted to 33 BHP.

What test is that? I was under the impression that on a cbt u could ride up to a 125, then you take a test to allow you to ride any bike, as long as its restricted to 33 BHP.

the instructer that i used called it a full test baiscally but on a 125 he said to me that if i did the 125 test and passed it that for the 1st 2 years of me having passed the test i was restricted to 33bhp then after 2 years i could go out and buy what ever i wanted, so if i wanted to now i could say buy a r1 and restrict it to 33bhp for 2 years then after that 2 years up i could take the restrictor off and then ride it un restricted if that makes sense lol :wacko:

i could'nt do the direct access at the time because i was'nt old enough i had to be 21 but in only 21 this june lol

Most sensible and honest post i've heard in a long time, more power to you. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online