Desperation Plea

vic-fzr600
This post is 5431 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is driving me mad. :pissed-off:

I have another post asking for help diagnosing problem with my FZR (its in workshop section) but i'm getting desperate so asking for help again.

Recently got the bike on road again after cosmetic repairs.

Ran great for first few days, until i stopped & filled up with fuel. Instantly, bike ran lumpy, wouldnt idle, felt like its running off a cylinder.

So i have cleaned plugs, checked plug leads, cleaned airbox & airfilter, stripped carbs & cleaned all the jets.

None of this helped. In a random attempt to cure it, i changed the voltage regulator back to an old one (had been changed recently cos old one blows bulbs) & problems disappeared instantly.

That was Saturday. Rode bike over weekend, no probs.

Then came out this morning to go to work on it.

Halfway to work, problems reappeared. At one point, bike fired thru exhaust, lost all power. Got it started again, but tho i was holding throttle full open, bike was still revving at idle.

Picked up again few secs later & lumpily took me on to work.

I'm totally baffled. Started to wonder if its electrical/electronic & problem went away because the system had reset when i swopped the rectifier?? :banghead:

Any help would be greatly appreciated cos i'm ready to wheel it into a shed, lock the door & go by a Suzuki instead.

ADDITIONAL:-

Dunno if helps diagnosis, but when i'm riding the bike it's reluctant to rev past around 6k rpm, but if you pull the clutch in it'll rev thru range no problem.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi has the bike got TPS (throttle position sensors) I seem to remember that this type of symptom can be caused by those going down, try doing a search.

To be honest, I dont know.

Its a 1993 3HE FZR600 Genesis.

I'll use trusty google & see what i can find.

Thanks for replying, much appreciated

It could be fuel starvation. When you filled up with fuel, you might have taken up some dirt or released some that's got into the lines, fuel tap or carbs. Try cleaning it all and put fresh fuel in.

did that - emptied tank, checked flow thru fuel filter, then filtered fuel before putting it back in.

did that - emptied tank, checked flow thru fuel filter, then filtered fuel before putting it back in.

Sounds like a fuel / fuel supply problem to me ---- Has your petrol garage ever had a water - in - fuel history ?

Can you disconect the fuel pipe and see how much / how little fuel flow you have

Do you have in-line filters ?

Are the tap filters clean -- inside the tank

Is the air vent clear -- simply opening the fuel cap when trying to rev it will eliminate this possibility if nowt else

Nil Desperandum

Sounds like a fuel / fuel supply problem to me ---- Has your petrol garage ever had a water - in - fuel history ?

Can you disconect the fuel pipe and see how much / how little fuel flow you have

Do you have in-line filters ?

Are the tap filters clean -- inside the tank

Is the air vent clear -- simply opening the fuel cap when trying to rev it will eliminate this possibility if nowt else

Nil Desperandum

there is an in-line filter, flow to the filter & thru the filter seemed good.

i'm not aware of any water-in-fuel probs with the garage but u never do know!

think i'll strip it right down, throw the petrol away, replace inline filter, clean jets again (just incase).

a friend has recommended checking the floats for damage as well.

Just frustrated, love using my bike for commuting on wonderful country roads, but not a pleasurable experience at the minute......

Dunno if helps diagnosis, but when i'm riding the bike it's reluctant to rev past around 6k rpm, but if you pull the clutch in it'll rev thru range no problem.

Have you checked the clutch cut out switch ?? may be naff or a bad connection.

Have you tried putting the other rec back on. I recon its an electrical issue with something getting hot or a bad earth/joint somewhere. Or a cdi pick up failing.

I had similar on my DT and that was one of the cdi wires had touched on the hot exhaust just enough for a very slight connection, exhaust cold engine runs, hotter it got the worse it ran till it cut out.

Kicked myself when i found it.

i'm running the original rectifier, the one that was on the bike previously. had replaced it, but swopped it back in on saturday as a trial & it worked fine.

think it looks like i'll have to check every connection and see.

never had the CDI out, but will trace the wires & see if i find anything.

thanks for the help folks, its all much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

Bike still sitting in bits cos i've been dying with man-flu since my last run out when bike was still misbehaving again.

But been reading lots of other threads, and thought i'd ask the Gurus on here if my problem could be related to the EXUP system?

To be honest, I know very little about EXUP & how it works but thought it was worth asking just incase.

The wife is tryin to get me to sell the Fizer as it sits & buy a Suzuki instead.......

Hi all!

Bike still sitting in bits cos i've been dying with man-flu since my last run out when bike was still misbehaving again.

But been reading lots of other threads, and thought i'd ask the Gurus on here if my problem could be related to the EXUP system?

To be honest, I know very little about EXUP & how it works but thought it was worth asking just incase.

The wife is tryin to get me to sell the Fizer as it sits & buy a Suzuki instead.......

It wont be the exup system that only alters the power characteristics of the engine.

You need to go back to basics, if the bike was fine before you filled up it could easily be fuel contaminated with water, this happens when the garage has a fresh delivery sometimes and everything gets stirred up in the fuel storage tanks for a few days.

Once you have a misfire for whatever reason, you may foul the more spark plugs so it is worth changing them-dont forget to gap the new ones before fitting, also drain the carb float bowls to remove any contamination and check the filter on the fuel tap if it has one. check fuel is flowing properly from the fuel tap.

Then check for corroded or cracked ht leads and caps and all electrical connection on ignition circuit.

if its is diaphragms it should tick over okay,

Thats right i thought it was.

, bike was still revving at idle.

Am still intrugued by the addiotional post though about the clutch, I would check the clutch switch with a multimeter

thanks for the help folks, its all greatly appreciated.

i have new plugs sitting waiting to go in, that's my next step.

Have had the carbs apart, cleaned the jets and float bowls.

Flow from tank seems good, as does flow thru in-line fuel filter.

Am still intrugued by the addiotional post though about the clutch, I would check the clutch switch with a multimeter

prob silly question, but what reading should i be looking for? electrics aren't my strong point, more used to working on a 1934 Velocette which is a lot more basic!!! :)

thanks for the help folks, its all greatly appreciated.

i have new plugs sitting waiting to go in, that's my next step.

Have had the carbs apart, cleaned the jets and float bowls.

Flow from tank seems good, as does flow thru in-line fuel filter.

prob silly question, but what reading should i be looking for? electrics aren't my strong point, more used to working on a 1934 Velocette which is a lot more basic!!! :)

Well its a switch so it will be very few Ohms (around two) in one poition with meter set to 200 ohm range, and very high or infinite ohms in the other position with meter on 20 KOhmm range...at a guess, i've never tried it.

you might fink i have lost the plot here but"

the petrol station you use is it a cheap one (ie) morrisons tesco so on?

cos they have lots of water in the petrol, ok for cars but bikes (no no)

i had a bit of same sort of problem went on same mission as you cleaning wires

every time i filled her back up i used the same garage,

then one day i read about cheap garages having water in the petrol, and me m8 had said

he had heard about it to,

so drained the lot, again but this time went to (what i call real mans garage now)

bp so and on, and whhhooooo! she went like the wind again,

she got the best polish that day she always wanted" i she was fine ;)

we were in love once again!!! she has run fine ever since and i stay with man stations now

give it a try! good luck

I use Tesco for my fuel, always have. Never encountered any water-in-fuel issues. It's just the same as Esso, that's who they buy it from :D

you might fink i have lost the plot here but"

the petrol station you use is it a cheap one (ie) morrisons tesco so on?

cos they have lots of water in the petrol, ok for cars but bikes (no no)

i had a bit of same sort of problem went on same mission as you cleaning wires

every time i filled her back up i used the same garage,

then one day i read about cheap garages having water in the petrol, and me m8 had said

he had heard about it to,

so drained the lot, again but this time went to (what i call real mans garage now)

bp so and on, and whhhooooo! she went like the wind again,

she got the best polish that day she always wanted" i she was fine ;)

we were in love once again!!! she has run fine ever since and i stay with man stations now

give it a try! good luck

It was a local small garage, not one of the big multi-nationals.

never had trouble with their fuel before, but it only takes one sh*t fill.

still not got new plugs in yet due to illness but hoping that'll help

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online