50 MPH limit to start next year !!

steve m
This post is 5530 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Infuriating behaviour when the conditions are safe to do so, as we all know and witness every day. You should try driving in rural Norfolk in the Summer!! Come to think of it, at any time of the year. Whatever happened to the minimum speed limit signs? Not seen one of those for years.

If we do end up with a blanket 50mph limit, what about the 40mph Tesco lorries?? (Other brands are available) Anyone ever tried to safely overtake 38 tons of "rolling roadblock" with only 10mph speed differential?? I cannot think of anything more stupid than this potential action. Speed limits are just that, a limit, not a target. Surely, it is up to the driver/rider to assess the situation and risks of the road/conditions and deal with them accordingly. That's what a free country is about. We suffered the drop in national speed limit from 70mph to 60mph in the name of saving fuel in the 70s. But what will this drop really save us?? What we really need is enhanced driver awareness, not a nanny state.

BTW, anyone driven on the A140 in Suffolk lately? Long stretches of completely safe road limited to 50mph - such a waste of a good road.

Morph :soapbox:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

To that I did allude ;)

OOps was that the same one you were on about (its the blonde hair syndrome) 1.gif

Infuriating behaviour when the conditions are safe to do so, as we all know and witness every day. You should try driving in rural Norfolk in the Summer!! Come to think of it, at any time of the year. Whatever happened to the minimum speed limit signs? Not seen one of those for years.

If we do end up with a blanket 50mph limit, what about the 40mph Tesco lorries?? (Other brands are available) Anyone ever tried to safely overtake 38 tons of "rolling roadblock" with only 10mph speed differential?? I cannot think of anything more stupid than this potential action. Speed limits are just that, a limit, not a target. Surely, it is up to the driver/rider to assess the situation and risks of the road/conditions and deal with them accordingly. That's what a free country is about. We suffered the drop in national speed limit from 70mph to 60mph in the name of saving fuel in the 70s. But what will this drop really save us?? What we really need is enhanced driver awareness, not a nanny state.

BTW, anyone driven on the A140 in Suffolk lately? Long stretches of completely safe road limited to 50mph - such a waste of a good road.

Morph :soapbox:

40 mph Tesco lorries are a pain i know, but that is the law, and tescos policy is too abide by it and hell help any driver nicked speeding,

merv

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online