Front Brake issues.

kelpike
This post is 5547 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought a 1986 FJ1200. The front brakes do not work at all. There was no fluid in the reservoir and the cap screw was stripped out. I was able get the screw out and filled the res. I thought the system just needed to be bled, however, after bleeding, they still do not work at all. I'm not even sure where to start with this issue. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Front Calipers on the FJ are pretty crap, I would suggest replacing both the calipers and the master cylinder. On the 3cv & 3xw models you can use the blue spot calipers and Fazer reservoir. To be honest any modern Yam resevoir will suffice.

Adam.

Seeing that I just bought the bike, I am trying to only replace what I have to until I can ride it a little and make sure there are no serious motor or drivetrain issues. Is there a way to test each of these so I can fix whichever is bad for now? I have already invested more than I should have considering I don't know what else might be wrong with the bike. I do plan on totally restoring if the bike ends up being worth it.

Thats a Great looking FJ you have there, it's a 1tx model and I am afraid that you can't fit blue spot calipers without changing the front forks. The front brake calipers are the same as the later model rear calipers so you should be able to pick a couple of second hand units up pretty cheap, or just strip and renovate the existing calipers.

The other major place to check will be the rear shock linkages these have a tendancy to seize and fail.

As for the Engine it,s virtualy unbreakable there are documented cases of FJ engine's going over 200,000 miles.

hope this helps.

Adam.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online