yb100 gasket set

atocp
This post is 5605 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everybody,

I am experiencing the joys of things going wrong while fixing up my 1989 yb100. I decided to replace the gaskets, as i need to take apart the engine anyway and the bike hasn't run in about 10 years. I bought a new full gasket set for the yamaha yb100 87-92, and went to fit the carburettor cover gasket , but the one i've bought doesn't even vaguely fit the same shape!!

Does anyone know if within those 5 years the shape of the engine changed? Or were there different engines? I double checked on ebay and one picture, similar to the set i bought, shows the exact same gaskets. However, on another ebay item (a lone carburettor cover gasket ) does fit the same shape.

I dont really want to buy one gasket that costs the same as the full gasket set i already have!!

Any help would be most appreciated,

thank you,

atocp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I used to use cornflake packets for gasketv material. lighly oil the part, press it on the card and you have an impression. Cut around it and viola!! C'est Bon

Thank you for the reply mervin

If it didn't seem to cost about £20 for some make your own gaskets I would. But as I said, I already have a full set of gaskets. The pack I have is unopened. So I might be able to send them back, if I have the wrong ones. For a bike thats worth about £150, its hardly worth it spending tonnes of cash. Unless there is a cheaper way to make them? Are gaskets just card with a kind of rubber coating?

A You Tube video that suggests a paper bag, or even phone book covers? Insane?

Thanks again,

atocp

Thank you Drewpy,

You managed to write your reply while I was writing mine. If others have done it, I might try it. As long as im not making something that is gonna fall apart and coz a leak. Did you just use a bit of engine oil when applying the gaskets as normal?

Thanks again.

atocp

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online