What size piston rings do I need?

donny o
This post is 5632 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Replacing piston rings on 1974 DT 125 and all the sets I've found on Ebay are 2 or 3 sizes over. I don't think I need bigger rings--but how do I really know? I have the manual and it explains measuring the cylinder--but I am still confused. I just wonder what's the simplest way to find out what size I do need? And why aren't the standard sets out there? They are all oversized. Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Donny

you need the rings to suit your piston size, your piston will have a number on the crown if that number id .25 .50 .75 or 1.0 then that is the oversize of the piston you may not be able too see the little . very easily these were the yamaha standard oversizes if it is like the RD,s yuo can get pattern pistons in 1.25/1.50.1.75/2.00 as well and the standard pistons came with .96 or .98 stamped on them on RD,s hopefully oldgit who knows far more about DT,s will be along in a minute to help, but larger rings on a standard piston will not work, oversize rings are not a cure for a worn bore

Merv

Replacing piston rings on 1974 DT 125 and all the sets I've found on Ebay are 2 or 3 sizes over. I don't think I need bigger rings--but how do I really know? I have the manual and it explains measuring the cylinder--but I am still confused. I just wonder what's the simplest way to find out what size I do need? And why aren't the standard sets out there? They are all oversized. Thanks

Hello,

I have one boxed DT 125 1st o/s piston,pin,rings and circlips. 1st o/s is 0.25mm

As Mervin said, the pistons should be stamped to show the o/s, (if standard size they will have a part number stamed on them instaed) if not then you need an internal micrometer to measure the bore. You also need to evaluate the situation to determine what size you need as the cylinder could be worn or scored.

Ideally you need to take this to somebody who knows what they are doing as you cannot explain these things over the internet.

Cant add much to all the above, you do need to check it doesnt need a rebore before buying new rings, it usually involves inverting the piston in the bore and taking measurements of the gap between piston skirt and bore are you familiar with this donny? as Drewpy says it may be in the workshop manual.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online