Yamaha R5 - Straight Pipes

Cole
This post is 5631 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm planning on changing out the stock exhaust on my 72 R5 with a set of straight pipes that turn out right behind the foot pegs.... anyone pulled off straight pipes on one of these? All I've heard so far is grief over doing this....? I know it will reduce power somewhat, but I'm not wanting to race the bike, just have a good bike to ride around town.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

huge no no with a stroker matey if you want something to sound different get a set of spannies and rejet too suit , straight pipes you are likely to seize engine in a short time

merv

Theoretically is there anything I could put in them to act as the baffles do in the stock pipes? I know this is unheard of, I just think they would look/sound great on it and I'm trying to figure out someway to make it work!

not really you need the pipes designed to do the right job in a stroker, A set of DG,s or something like that, but i think you will find just behind the pegs will be too short too work, also with a stroker it emits a certain amount of oil from the exhaust which you do not want on the tyre

Merv

Theoretically is there anything I could put in them to act as the baffles do in the stock pipes? I know this is unheard of, I just think they would look/sound great on it and I'm trying to figure out someway to make it work!

Hi Cole,

The Short answer is no, as the R5 is now an old stroker, it's unlikley that fitting any sort of non std silencers will do it any good. Off the peg Expansion chambers came in a bit later than R5/RD350a/b etc so you may find fitting pipes for the later RD's may give you loads of problems, but if you have the time, spares (for when you may hole a piston or nip it up) go for it, but I guess a tidy R5 would be worth more stock rather than hacked about with, but its your baby do what you think is best.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online