For the newbies

Goff

Firstly, welcome to our forum.

Im sure you will find us a friendly bunch, and there is a ton of information available that we hope you will find useful.

However, may i draw your attention to the following:

Site Owners and moderators take no responsibility for goods, items or services purchased as part of an agreement between members of this web site.

In irder to post in the for sale and wanted sections you need to subscribe to the site. Details of how to do this are HERE

We hope you enjoy your stay, any questions please contact one of us.

Thankyou

Admin & Mods

• Like 3

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

am not getting my head round on how to use this site and need some help please

am not getting my head round on how to use this site and need some help please

PM me or one of the other mods with what it is you need help with and we will see what we can do.

I've been around a long time on this 'er interweb thing (I can remember the first www sites coming live) and I've probably seen it all, growing up with IT, and 20 years on networks alone gives you a very broad minded and tollerant viewpoint to the abilities of others.

This site has always been fairly 'loose' in it's moderation, there are times when people get a bit 'miffed' and heated exchanges follow, but it always comes full circle and the love returns. I can see why it's time to start intorducing some guidlines and rules, and that isn't a bad thing - as long as the rules and regulations are well displayed.

Can I suggest, in line with the new approach that something be put up on the Forum homepage screen ? maybe a nice visible link to the forum rules and regulations? It' very common for people to use forums to find things, and putting asking for help, guidence, or just if anyone knows of shouldn't be seen as a spammer. Not everyone is as au courant with forum or even web etiquette and everyone starts somewhere. Taking a strict line may well give people the wrong impression if they are new. Motorcycling needs all the support it can get.

I'm all for this new approach, but it needs to be the first thing that any new member sees so also something in the joining mails, and it wouldn't hurt to propt the older members either.

Now, maybe if someone could find me a ladder, I'll descend this :soapbox:

I've been around a long time on this 'er interweb thing (I can remember the first www sites coming live) and I've probably seen it all, growing up with IT, and 20 years on networks alone gives you a very broad minded and tollerant viewpoint to the abilities of others.

This site has always been fairly 'loose' in it's moderation, there are times when people get a bit 'miffed' and heated exchanges follow, but it always comes full circle and the love returns. I can see why it's time to start intorducing some guidlines and rules, and that isn't a bad thing - as long as the rules and regulations are well displayed.

Can I suggest, in line with the new approach that something be put up on the Forum homepage screen ? maybe a nice visible link to the forum rules and regulations? It' very common for people to use forums to find things, and putting asking for help, guidence, or just if anyone knows of shouldn't be seen as a spammer. Not everyone is as au courant with forum or even web etiquette and everyone starts somewhere. Taking a strict line may well give people the wrong impression if they are new. Motorcycling needs all the support it can get.

I'm all for this new approach, but it needs to be the first thing that any new member sees so also something in the joining mails, and it wouldn't hurt to propt the older members either.

Now, maybe if someone could find me a ladder, I'll descend this :soapbox:

Yep - good idea - although in my experience people very rarely read forum rules and regs lol

The only reason the rules have been brought in for posts in the for sale and wanted section is just to protect folk. Internet scams are becoming more commonplace now, and more and more on bike forums, so to protect older members and newer ones so this is the reason.

The new regs only affect the for sale and wanted sections so the rest of the forum is as it always was.

The guidelines have been pinned in both sections and also in the general section so really theres no excuse for newbies not to read them. ;)

• 1 month later...

Yep - good idea - although in my experience people very rarely read forum rules and regs lol

The only reason the rules have been brought in for posts in the for sale and wanted section is just to protect folk. Internet scams are becoming more commonplace now, and more and more on bike forums, so to protect older members and newer ones so this is the reason.

The new regs only affect the for sale and wanted sections so the rest of the forum is as it always was.

The guidelines have been pinned in both sections and also in the general section so really theres no excuse for newbies not to read them. ;)

Just for the record, I've read them. :-)

BTW, this is a very cool site.

I haven't ridden for a few years, but recently bought an XS400 to get back into it.

Im sure you will find us a friendly bunch, and there is a ton of information available that we hope you will find useful.

Site Owners and moderators take no responsibility for goods, items or services purchased as part of an agreement between members of this web site.

New members must have a post count of at least 15 before advertising goods for sale or goods wanted in either section - this will come into effect as from 7th February 2009.

Ads will be removed otherwise.

Please do not post telephone numbers or any contact details in these sections or they will be removed - use the PM facility.

Thankyou

Admin & Mods

Thanks for the info. I joined the forum today and would like to say HI to you all!

• 1 month later...

I am new to the site here. I just passed my BRC (Basic Rider's Course) today and I got my endorcement. I did buy my bike back in February though. I love my bike and I hope to lear alot about my bike and look forward to possibly meeting some of you.

• 3 months later...
Guest chrisw1958

hi ya,

Went to download a personal pic and came up with failed, contact admin ?

Wondered if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks Chris.

hi ya,

Went to download a personal pic and came up with failed, contact admin ?

Wondered if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks Chris.

Hi Chris member status (non paying) now limited to posting on the forums, see Here for full breakdown of benefits. A years membership is equivalent to around 3 pints of lager now... ;)

...Paul

• Like 1

is equivalent to around 3 pints of lager now... ;)

Ha---- "yeh auld bugger " wens the last time u bought a drink, :o 3 pints for fiver .. musta been in the 70s :lol:

I also saw the post on paid membership, so when does the 'switch-over' occur, I hope its not gonna be one of these 'lucid' transient things with no 'launch-date', the kind of thing that is not tied in with 'Earth chronology', cos that really hacks people off, I dont mind paying for stuff as long as it has the same 'accuracy' as, par example- £10 Earth pounds, Sterling :mellow:

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am very new to forums so if I do anything wrong, please give me a point in the right direction.

I thought I should introduce myself and that here seemed the place to do it.

I have a 1980 RX 125 (the blue one with the red stripes on the tank) and cannot wait to get back home to Australia in November to ride and preserve it for future enjoyment.

I look forward to hearing from you and enjoying many more years of motorcycling ahead.

Regards

Rosscoe.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In irder to post in the for sale and wanted sections you need to subscribe to the site. Details of how to do this are HERE

Thankyou

Admin & Mods

Hiii, thanks for the welcoming :3 need to the yamaha club :D although don't get my yamaha yzf-r6 for another 3 months, but thought i may aswell register and start being part of the club :) howdy everyone!

I'd like to point out the forum rules have not been linked at the top. might come in handy having them there (activated via forum admin page) :D

PM'd with suggested help about rules :)

How is everyone? :)