making a new tank

drewpy
This post is 5706 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am considering making a new tank for my flat tracker project and wondered if anyone has done one?

I was thinking of Glass fibre as I have an ATE BMW under tank master cylinder to keep the bars clean looking.

Anyone had a go or has a link to a how to?

cheers

Drewps

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am considering making a new tank for my flat tracker project and wondered if anyone has done one?

I was thinking of Glass fibre as I have an ATE BMW under tank master cylinder to keep the bars clean looking.

cheers

Drewps

Geday mate, A better option is hand beaten aluminium sheeting, that is why all the custom chopper blokes go that way these days. You can still make it any shape you like but it is a much more sound structure when complete. Further when the little threaded billets are welded in for fuel taps and the like, they simply never leak. They went down the composite path in the past because the now very common aluminium welding processes were not around. The finished product comes up that good that it is usually highly polished or cleared. A company in Sydney called Duess Machina do these flat tracker style road bikes based on xs 650s and the like and this how all their tanks are done! They have a website. I'll find it and forward it on. Should you still wish to go down the composite path let me know. I do all my own glassing of gaurds, car bonnets,scoops and so on and can refer you to plenty of reading matter re the topic. Saw a great hand made aluminium tank on this back yard cafe racer and had 2 elbows welded on the tank, 1 up high and the other down low, and good quality,clear,flexible tubing clamped on and this was the fuel gauge. Really gave it that period racer look! I will get back to to you with that website! HAVE A BLAST! Paul.

cheers

Drewps

Yeah Drewps, just got that contact for you. Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting you buy one of their tanks. Just thought you could get some ideas when you see what they,for one, do with aluminium. The company is called Dues Ex Machina. www.dues.com.au Hope this helps. Paul. I don't know what their bikes are like, but they look the part!

Ta Mate,

I'll have a look. We have the tank shop in bonnie scotland, which has a 10 month turn round (EEK!)

and tabaker in sunny Wales.

I was looking into the glass fibrefoam loss system, but can't work out how they would get a decent gel coat finish!!

drewps

I think you meant http://www.deus.com.au/

your latin isn't up to scratch :lol:

some great looking machines there. but the prices!!!!!

If anyone doesn't know about it, get "on any sunday" great 1971 film on motorbikes with super dirttrack action and lots of other genres!!

I think you meant http://www.deus.com.au/

your latin isn't up to scratch :lol:

some great looking machines there. but the prices!!!!!

If anyone doesn't know about it, get "on any sunday" great 1971 film on motorbikes with super dirttrack action and lots of other genres!!

No Drewps, your wrong , my Latin is up to shit. The method of glass construction and the way of achieving the good gelcoat finish, is very much dependant on the shape of the tank. For a home job you are far better to work along the lines of it being painted in 2 pak when completed. The aluminium construction is heaps easier. Simply roll, beat, form, cut all of your sections out of 3-4mm aluminium plate. Bevel all the edges and have a welder tack all the bits together.Then fully weld it. You can buy the section of threaded flange that is welded on for the filler neck.Oh yeah,may heed 2 little elbows welded in for a crossover pipe,depending on shape of tank and the backbone of you frame. When you machine the billet that is welded in for the fuel tap, only start the thread with a taper tap. Don't finish thread until it has been welded in place. Otherwise the thread will finish up too loose. If you make the tank out of aluminium,the shape will only be limited by your imagination.However a relatively reliable tank out of composites will also restrict what shape it can be. Don't get me wrong, glass for certain parts 40 years ago was brilliant and still is! But in my opinion it is far from ideal for tanks. I will look through my books for a glassing book and get back to you with the name,just in case you are hell bent on going down that path. HAVE A BLAST! Paul. Just a thought re your finish concerns. It is actually the inside finish you need to be most concerned about. If I was to do a tank out of glass I would make the top , fully visible, half, and the bottom,blanking half that incorporates the backbone relief. This way both parts can be flow coated prior to them being chemically bonded together. The flowcoat will make the glass impervious to fuel,but again the shape may be limited.

thanx for the reply JM

I would n't know where to start with ally. I would have to buy the gear for a start!!

I may make a tank mock up and then get someone to make the tank up. This is a long term project at least for this year as I have the other bike to play on.

Having said that I do need to start thinking about doing it hence this post.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online