Croft Race Circuit

Goff
This post is 5523 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

For anyone who enjoys track days, club racing, testing on a race-track, etc book 'em now while you can.

Not a simple as it looks, but the family moved next to a race circuit then go to court to complain about the noise

If I've read it correctly the daughter who is claiming is the ex wife of one of the original owners of croft when the circuit was revamped in 1994 (and the parents tried to turn their house into a hotel to profit from the circuit)

Headlines :

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/4076...s_noise_appeal/

A RACING circuit today lost its appeal against a legal case brought by a couple and their daughter who say their lives have been blighted by noise from the track.

Case notes :

http://www.richardbuxton.co.uk/v3.0/?q=node/334

see item 68

In my words "moving to live next to a race track doesn't mean you can't complain about the noise, but also they didn't realise it would be noisy" :o

What a set of money grabbing arseholes!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That is just complete and utter fucking bollocks!

Wankers!

This is one subject I will get on my soap box about!

I used to race alongside BTCC as an independant (1999-2002) in a support Championship. I have raced Croft many times during that period and since, both in cars and on bikes.

It is a truly magnificent circuit and one that holds particularly good memories for me. For instance, in 1998, my fastest lap in my Renault Laguna was 0.03s faster than that of Alain Menu who was driving the works team Renault Laguna. I was also consistently faster than Jason Plato that year. No big deal was made of it because we were in separate classes and did not race alongside but I still have all of the lap times and data in my archive.

Croft to me is much better than Brands Hatch or Thruxton or Silverstone. Weather isn't always ideal up in North Yorkshire, but nevertheless, I have always thoroughly enjoyed racing the Croft circuit.

Apart from anything else, this court case stinks of back-handers. The nearest domestic property to the circuit is over 1/4 mile away to the NE, in the village. There is nothing but farmland to the South, West and North and East apart from a few industrial units. Certainly no residential dwellings within range to be adversely affected by the noise. Check it out for yourselves on Google Maps!

just a thought, i wonder how many people tried to claim for compen when the bombers were taking off in the war!!? the whole thing is a farce, done by three killjoys, who say they don,t want any money, just a reduction to 40 days use, cutting out a lot of track days etc, i see most of the locals in croft are against the cuts..ted

• 3 weeks later...

There is a petition / blog running now on-line in the Newspaper which is local to Croft

Google / search it up on "Northern Echo" and fill your boots.

I have already blogged to ask them for the addresses of any local businesses that are doing well finacially in order that I may move in next door to them and then retire on the proceeds of a rediculous complaint

I'm sure that I can hear someting when Bisley "is on" and thereby it could well be damaging my hearing because I only live about 250 miles away but I daren't claim in case I get shot.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a petition / blog running now on-line in the Newspaper which is local to Croft

Google / search it up on "Northern Echo" and fill your boots.

I have already blogged to ask them for the addresses of any local businesses that are doing well finacially in order that I may move in next door to them and then retire on the proceeds of a rediculous complaint

I'm sure that I can hear someting when Bisley "is on" and thereby it could well be damaging my hearing because I only live about 250 miles away but I daren't claim in case I get shot.

Here is the latest development---

AMATEUR bikers and racing drivers have been the first to lose out from a High Court ruling limiting activity at a motorsport venue.

Croft Circuit, near Darlington, has cut dozens of public track days from its calendar to abide by the High Court ruling.

The circuit was ordered to pay damages and legal costs totalling nearly £860,000 and reduce its number of annual “noisy days” to 40.

The decision, which was reached in January after an appeal, was enforced after neighbours Derek and Julia Watson, and their daughter, Jill Wilson complained about the “loud, intrusive and repetitive noise”.

Their objection was not to car and motorbike racing events, but to vehicle-testing and track days.

Dennis Carter, director of Croft Promosport, said yesterday that circuit officials were consulting lawyers about the ruling. However, he said bosses had abided by the judgement, which meant they had to cancel up to 100 events.

Mr Carter said: “We have had to cut quite a lot of track days. And there is one or two other things we have had to cancel.

“It is such an unexpected ruling. The ramifications are going to be enormous for the area.

“Mostly, we have had to cancel public track days. In my mind, this is bad news and goes against common sense, because they will just go out onto the open roads.”

Mr Carter said the circuit was also looking at its calendar of race meetings, particularly rallycross events.

It also fears further legal action and that the ruling could impinge on motorsport events across the country.

No Limits Trackdays was one of Croft’s biggest customers for public track events.

The company used to run 11 events a year at Croft, worth £70,000. Since the ruling, it has been cut to two days.

Company owner Mark Neate, who has had to lay off an employee because of the ruling, said: “Track days are the bread and butter for circuits in this country. We do 130 across the country.

“If you take these away from circuits, they will all close.”

He said Croft Circuit was one of the most well-behaved circuits in the country because it was more restrictive than other venues on the number of riders and the maximum noise levels.

Croft events include the British Touring Car Championship and British Superbike Championships rounds. It also stages about 20 club events a year.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online