What makes a streetfighter?

wild foamy
This post is 5518 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

have seen a few streetfighters on eBay lately and also remember seeing pics of Goffs wonderful 'Zuki.

but what makes a streetfighter a streetfighter?, what criteria does it have to meet?.

theres some cheap sports bikes around and im toying with the thought of having a bash at a little 250-400 streetfighter.

- Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither are requirements at all.

A streetfighter is a bike which someone has built using different bike parts to their own liking. There is no specific criteria, but they can be classed as "muscle" bikes. They can be polished or powdercoated it matters not.

Its the whole raw, aggressive look that makes a decent fighter......

Incidentally - we will be building another one very soon using a GSXR 400 frame...

personally i would be wary of buying a streetfighter as it usually has a reason for being built (or re-built) like that, ie has it been smashed? although some may only have been on thier side and smashed the fairings and it is easier and cheaper to fighter them. if you are going to build one take some pictures of before and after and keep all the parts that you take of, this may help if you decide to sell it later.

personally i would be wary of buying a streetfighter as it usually has a reason for being built (or re-built) like that, ie has it been smashed? although some may only have been on thier side and smashed the fairings and it is easier and cheaper to fighter them. if you are going to build one take some pictures of before and after and keep all the parts that you take of, this may help if you decide to sell it later.

Absolute shite.

You obviously know fuck all about fighters.

Both bikes we have bought recently have been perfectly straight - we just stripped them down and built another.

Just cos a bike has been fightered does not mean it has crash damaged - on some occasions yeah, but 99.9% of the time they havent.

People who build fighters generally DO NOT used smashed bikes. If you know anything about fighters you will know that theres a hell of a lot more to them than a new set of bars.

Its the ones who have smashed in their sportsbikes, stuck a set of renthals on and called it a fighter that give the rest a bad name.

If someone is unsure they should have at least have the brains to do a HPi check.

If you wanna learn more about fighters then can i suggest you go take a look at Old Skool Suzuki inthe project forum - those guys really know their stuff.

willb e watching Goffs new streetfighter project with great anticipation :D.

it possible to streetfighter enduros? or does it have to be a sports bike?

Not really honey lol. Ive yet to see a fighter thats not been built with a sportsbike frame. :D

On the lookout for a GSXR750 oil cooled engine to go in my frame now.

hi goff, pleased to meet you. do you have a tooth coming in or somthing???you sound a little ratty. :( i didnt mean to disrespect "streetfighters" i was making the point that some people do this because it can be cheaper and easier than trying to locate (and finance) original parts. as for the HPI checks if a bike is only third party and no other vehicles were involved in any accident then the insurance company may have no knowledge of the damage sustained to the bike hence the before and after photos.

hi goff, pleased to meet you. do you have a tooth coming in or somthing???you sound a little ratty. :( i didnt mean to disrespect "streetfighters" i was making the point that some people do this because it can be cheaper and easier than trying to locate (and finance) original parts. as for the HPI checks if a bike is only third party and no other vehicles were involved in any accident then the insurance company may have no knowledge of the damage sustained to the bike hence the before and after photos.

Nope - im always like that when someone makes a post before thinking.

If thats the point you were trying to make you didnt make it very well - in fact im sure you said to be wary of buying one because they've usually been smashed........ :rolleyes:

Im rather passionate about my fighters as those who have been here a while will know, so it does piss me off somewhat when folk make stupid statements like that.

Fightering a bike is not something that can be done in a couple of weeks - it can take years. Our GSXR750 has taken almost 3 - and those that have done so because and i quote "it can be cheaper and easier than trying to locate (and finance) original parts" can be spotted a mile off.

calm down Goff, just a misunderstanding ;)

anyway, what does it do to the handling/performance, and any particular reason you went with GSX frames for your last couple of fighters? surely must hurt your wrists after an hour or two :P

quick mental note to myself "must learn to think and not make stupid statements"

shedhermit

27 years working on and riding bikes

B.eng in civil eng.

calm down Goff, just a misunderstanding ;)

anyway, what does it do to the handling/performance, and any particular reason you went with GSX frames for your last couple of fighters? surely must hurt your wrists after an hour or two :P

Im always calm me :D

GSX frames cos you can get more or less anything you like in them

If they hurt your wrists - you aint riding 'em right :P

quick mental note to myself "must learn to think and not make stupid statements"

shedhermit

27 years working on and riding bikes

B.eng in civil eng.

Now you're getting it

Goff

22 years of pretty much the same

Has the word "Moderator" under her name

Which means she too can be a clever fucker - its called the DELETE button :P

Now you're getting it

Goff

22 years of pretty much the same

Has the word "Moderator" under her name

Which means she too can be a clever fucker - its called the DELETE button :P

hey what happened to freedom of speech? i joined this forum to recieve advice/points of veiw as well as give it, not to be cursed at like some sort of dummy.

okay, the arguing stops here.

no more bitching about who has "X amount of experiance" doing what and who has Y authority to do that. every member has a right to express their thoguhts and opinions in an appropriate way, if you do feel the need to argue/explain or whatever else you want to call it, take it elsewhere, this thread is not the time nor place.

thankyou for your time :)

- Steve

No arguing from me - Wild Foamy - you of all people should know me better than that, you've been here long enough.

Shed hermit - if you had been here long enough you would know me and how i post.

And if you noticed the smiley on the end - surely you would know i was having a laugh with you - if i was really having a pop at you my god you would know about it.

As for the cursing - i swear a lot - get used to it.

WF - i will help you out as much as i can, and again, you know that ;)

okay, the arguing stops here.

no more bitching about who has "X amount of experiance" doing what and who has Y authority to do that.

if you do feel the need to argue/explain or whatever else you want to call it, take it elsewhere, this thread is not the time nor place.

thankyou for your time :)

- Steve

i agree foamy as can be seen from the start basically i was saying to watch out if you buy one as there are some people that just put them together in the same way some people "cut and shut" cars, i know how much work (and money) can go into a bike to do it right but others (0.1%) just do the cosmetics and sell on. good luck with your project.

i do indeed Goff and its nice you speak your mind, albeit it is a bit abrupt.

SH: Fair enough, i think myself and goff mistook your earlier explanation and read it asthough you were insisting most SF bikes are bodge jobs, which you have now explained is not the case.

back on topic.

Engines... the really fun part, what sort of weird and wonderful things do you do to squeeze more power out of the block? :D

I have fightered loads of bikes, I am the club secretary of the Scottish Streetfighters, and total fighter mad (well total bike mad)

A Streetfighter to me is exactly as it says a Street-fighter, something that you can be a hoolagan on will handle well, better exelaration, riding position, and braking is always handy. I have painted some of the with a nice matt black paint that doesn't reflect radar too well (handy on some speed cameras)

Thats my opinion but everyone is different.

Some of the bikes i have fightered:-

Honda NS125R

Honda CBR1000

Honda CBR1100 Blackbird

BMW K100RT

Kawasaki ZX9R

Kawasaki ZZR600

And some pics....mostly of the dark ones (got shiney more sporty looking ones aswel) they don't look like typical fighters but went a LOT better than the standard models.

NS125R.

Aprilia race exhast, lightened, uprated tyre, LED tail light, custom goretex seat and a few engine tweaks.

stage3.jpg

My BMW

RS engine fitted (higher HP), led lights, spot lights on the front, renthals, fat tyre, removed fairings, lowered frame, lightened (a lot) looked like a dog, but it liked to lift the front end when pulling away.

SP_A0043.jpg

Ken

Ooh, got any pics of the blackbird fighter? :D

and Goff, could you PWEASE post up a pic of your SF all lit up on your riveway with the purple neons on? :D, i always liked that piccy XD