Yamaha Equivelant?

wild foamy
This post is 5725 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

just been doing a bit of research. im currently 16 and paid £180 for Third party fire and theft insurance on my 1989 Yamaha DT50MX with Swinton bikes

it will cost me £117 for TP F&T insurance on my Yamaha DT50 next year, when im 17 and have taken a full bike test

but only £153 TP F&T on a honda CB250.

as opposed to about £1,500 for insuring a car.

So, having done my research i have concluded that it will be cheaper and easier to take my full bike test and get a honda CB250 instead of getting a car which will cost more to run and more for insurance, lessons e.t.c.

BUT, is there a yamaha equivelant to the honda CB250 that would cost about the same insurance-wise, perform roughly the same and is the same sort of general shape?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone.

just been doing a bit of research. im currently 16 and paid £180 for Third party fire and theft insurance on my 1989 Yamaha DT50MX with Swinton bikes

it will cost me £117 for TP F&T insurance on my Yamaha DT50 next year, when im 17 and have taken a full bike test

but only £153 TP F&T on a honda CB250.

as opposed to about £1,500 for insuring a car.

So, having done my research i have concluded that it will be cheaper and easier to take my full bike test and get a honda CB250 instead of getting a car which will cost more to run and more for insurance, lessons e.t.c.

BUT, is there a yamaha equivelant to the honda CB250 that would cost about the same insurance-wise, perform roughly the same and is the same sort of general shape?

Never mind that, you'll only miss the smell, have a word with blackhat250, hes selling his DT250 and you know how much you like them...and...it wont depreciate ;)

having ridden through winter on a DT50, i now want something a bit bigger with a 12v electrics system that will run a set of heated grips and a headlight that actually illuminates the road more than 4 metres ahead of you

i do love my little DT though, theres something about having so little power in a bike you could loose in your pocket that makes it so appealing...

RD250 fastest boy racer

SR250 single cyl lots of cafe racer mods

XS250 twin cyl heavier than 400 so underpowered, looks good bobbed

The SR250 is a lovely bike to ride :D

Because they have been around as long as the CB, you will be able to find one to fit your budget.

i do love my little DT though, theres something about having so little power in a bike and you could loose whats in your pocket as you push it home...

Edited for accuracy :rolleyes:

i do love my little DT though, theres something about having so little power in a bike and you could lose whats in your pocket as you push it home...

edited for spelling mistake :rolleyes:

i have a cb600

the cb250 is a baby hornet

nice bike mate, go for it ;)

Geday mate, A fellow i know in Oz had a Yamaha 250 Zeal and it was a little beauty. It was an inline 4 cylinder and was great to ride. Don,t know if they are available in the UK. Worth a look!

RD250 is expensive to buy and will not be cheap to insure as i found out when i tried to put my daughter on mine when she was 18, SR250 yup not a bad litlte single XS250 bit more complicated but damn good bike all the same. Who remembers the yam press launch in 77 where too you may ask a bike show no marrakesh

Merv

I`m a bit bias On this one, I`m an old SUPERDREAM man from way back, I also own a XS250,

The CB will give you comfort and good looks (i do like a bike to look like a bike), And will go on

For ever so long as you DON`T try and improve it Steve, but not much top end, The XS i have has turned out to be superb, (if i do say so my self)

I brought her back from dead, Same as above but with nice exceleration, And a bit of Poke thrown in,

But steve both these bikes are tourers, and built for distance and not for "street cred",

(Do the young uns Still say that?), The XS will be cheaper, The CB seems a bit pricey

at the mo I know i`m looking for one.

should be able to pick up an xs for £150,

as with CB's the 400cc version is just the same with an identical looking engine ;)

im looking more for a comfortable ride than anything else, hence why i chose a DT over a replica bike. im not keen on revving the bollocks off these little engines so if the CB has more low-end than top-end it would probably be ideal.

will keep a lookout for both, if there is enough money left over from my ford capri fund then i will probably get whichever one is available at the time :)

a 400 would be nice but to insure a CB400 is more than double what it would be for a 250

Steve, P.M. me your E-mail address and i`ll send some pics of my xs, Just to see what can be done, ( she was a wright off),

I have trouble uploading on here,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online