Chain & sprockets

Jeffo
This post is 5695 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have an R6. It has 7,000 miles on and I expect it still has the original Chain & sprockets.

I have an option to buy a used chain & sprocket set for £45. It has apparently had less than 100 miles of use as the bike was converted to a race bike straight away. It comes with a chain, stock rear sprocket, 15T front sprocket, and new chain link.

Is that a good price? Should I bother replacing mine?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yes good buy i reckon as you are getting OE parts at less than replacement ones, if yours are not worn out buy em and stick em somewhere until you need em. no point in replacing them if they are not worn out, have a search on the net i am sure there is somewhere telling you how to tell if they are worn.or there will be a mark on your swingarm to tell you when the chain has stretched too far

Merv

I for one, would NEVER buy second hand chains and sprockets.

Yes, it may have less than 100 miles on the clock, but you don't know, a ) how those miles were ridden and what shit the chain has been put through and b ) how long the chain has been standing (siezed links is a problem that springs to mind).

A £45 bargain now could well end up in a four figure bill in 6 months time.

Why risk it anyway when you can get a DID X Ring chain & sprocket set for £100 delivered to your door?

Hi,

I have an R6. It has 7,000 miles on and I expect it still has the original Chain & sprockets.

I have an option to buy a used chain & sprocket set for £45. It has apparently had less than 100 miles of use as the bike was converted to a race bike straight away. It comes with a chain, stock rear sprocket, 15T front sprocket, and new chain link.

Is that a good price? Should I bother replacing mine?

Yeah mate, keep your 45 Quid, run your originals for another 10000 miles or so. You may not still have the bike by then.Spend some of the money on PJ1 lube and lube the chain up after every long ride while chain is still warm! For what it,s worth,i get a minimum of 19000 miles out of chain and sprockets and both bikes are flogged! I never wash chain with kero/degreaser as the o-rings don't prevent the kero from entering the rollers. I only ever wipe the chain over with clean rag whist it is warm and relube it! HAVE A BLAST!

• 1 month later...

Yeah mate, keep your 45 Quid, run your originals for another 10000 miles or so. You may not still have the bike by then.Spend some of the money on PJ1 lube and lube the chain up after every long ride while chain is still warm! For what it,s worth,i get a minimum of 19000 miles out of chain and sprockets and both bikes are flogged! I never wash chain with kero/degreaser as the o-rings don't prevent the kero from entering the rollers. I only ever wipe the chain over with clean rag whist it is warm and relube it! HAVE A BLAST!

^^ Agreed. Regular chain lubing is pretty much the most inexpensive way of eking more life out of your chain. Keep it regular, and save your money.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online