dunes and rust?

kevinwr250
This post is 5729 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK so I have my first dunes trip planned to Oregon and it's close to the coast so I ve heard that my bike will rust easily from the salty air? One guy said to coat your bike with WD-40???? Have you guys experienced riding by the ocan sand dunes and getting rusted out afterwards? What's the best way to combat this???

Thanks

Kevin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

wash the bike off after riding in such conditions with a hosepipe, do you ACF50 available although expensive it is good i am told i just got some but not used it yet, but i am told after applying ACf50 all you need do all winter is rinse the bike with cold water to remove the worst dirt ,

ACF50

merv

wash the bike off after riding in such conditions with a hosepipe, do you ACF50 available although expensive it is good i am told i just got some but not used it yet, but i am told after applying ACf50 all you need do all winter is rinse the bike with cold water to remove the worst dirt ,

ACF50

merv

It's top stuff, they use it on aircraft, and in the marine industry so it's designed for salt.

However, your bike will crud up more as the sand and dirt will stick to it. just take care with vents and your cooling system. Keep it away from your chain, and lubricate your chain with a dry lube rather than a wet one, it will help keep the sand at bay, or have an oiler fitted and the constant oli feed wil help wash the same away. That said, the sand wil destroy your chain and sprockets, so be prepaird to change them on your return.

Have fun, wish I was heading off for some dune riding in the sun, rather than ice riding in this chuffing cold weather were having......

ACF50 is good stuff I use it on my R6 as I use it throughout winter ... curious why Gas up says to keep it clear of the chain, after lubing my chain up I put a bit of ACF on it to give a bit more protection.

However, all my mates with crossers all use WD40 on there bikes, but it's not so much to protect from salt but because it stops crap sticking to so easily and makes jetwashing off easier too.

I use the old DT on the beach at the bottom of my road,

Then just use a home jetwash strait after, (let her cool down a bit first),

But never say "sod it" and just put her away, you`ll pay for it in the end.

ACF50 is good stuff I use it on my R6 as I use it throughout winter ... curious why Gas up says to keep it clear of the chain, after lubing my chain up I put a bit of ACF on it to give a bit more protection.

ACF50 is quite sticky, and if you're riding off-road the finer sand will stick to the chain much more than with other lube's. This turns the ACF50 into very efficient grinding paste, killing the chain, guides and sprockets in no time. Nice polished surfaces though :rolleyes:

On road it's not a problem, I wouldn't use it as a lubricant, but a coating on each side of the chain is a reasonable way to stop the rust, and it doesn't fling off either.

ACF50 is quite sticky, and if you're riding off-road the finer sand will stick to the chain much more than with other lube's. This turns the ACF50 into very efficient grinding paste, killing the chain, guides and sprockets in no time. Nice polished surfaces though :rolleyes:

On road it's not a problem, I wouldn't use it as a lubricant, but a coating on each side of the chain is a reasonable way to stop the rust, and it doesn't fling off either.

OK thanks Guys I will just go with the wd40 and try to wash it down as much as possible. Looks like the weather is holding out for us sunny and 50 degrees in oregon!!!!!!!sweet I cant wait putting my paddle on tonight......

Kevin

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online