London Courier??

kevin10529
This post is 5651 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thinking about moving to London in the next few week as my other half has been offered a good job in the city. Was wondering about trying my arm at being a Courier.

Anyone done it? Will it ruin bikes for me? What are the earnings?Will i get crushed off a bus? ect...

Any and all advice welcome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have never been a courier in London but i imagine it will test your skills!

Why not have a go, and if you dont like it do something else.

It will be an experience if nowt else honey! :D

Thinking about moving to London in the next few week as my other half has been offered a good job in the city. Was wondering about trying my arm at being a Courier.

Anyone done it? Will it ruin bikes for me? What are the earnings?Will i get crushed off a bus? ect...

I've ridden in London, and to say it's a culture shock (to someone from up-north, where roads are pretty empty places) is an understatement. Just staying alive, whilst getting to where you want to go is a challenge at times. Personally, I take the train and taxi now.

I'm sure there are one or two (on here) who ride the city, but as they are used to it thier advice may not fit with someone who's been riding around the Scottish Borders!

Courier riding is one of those specalised niches, I'd say the best thing to do is try riding in the city during the day, then consider if you could do it against the clock. Of course riding a bike is just one aspect, you've got to know your way around too......

I was thinking about this but would a tomtom not do the job untill you got to know your way about?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, the polite version of that is 'Nope'.

You would need considerably fast traffic updates and to know where they relate to etc etc.

None of the couriers I know care for the things.

However, for advice and to chat with some who have done/still do it, just drop by some of the companies or hang around outside and chat to them when they nip out for a ciggy.

The Rider's Digest can probably be of use too, as I believe they set up their publication as a 'By Couriers, For Couriers' sort of mag to read while waiting for a pick-up/drop.

There is a DVD out there, it's free when you buy a bike, so your local dealer will have some copies around.

It's called A Street A Track an Open Road, worth watching just for Suzi Perry, but has Chris Walker (we all know) A bloke who writes about bikes (Bob McMillan) and a London Courier. It will give you some idea of the challenges these couriers face, as one of the sections is about being a courier.

If you want I can post you a copy (if you'll cover the postage) PP me with your details - I've a couple knocking around.

Very hard and dangerous job, you can earn £300-£400 a week on hand if you’re prepared to spend 10 hours a day on a bike, I live and ride in London and it's no fun at all, it will test your riding skills to the max and beyond, a lot of courier companies will be able to hire a bike for you and I would recommend doing so, do not use your own bike as you would be doing a lot of miles and most likely get knocked off at some point. Some of the couriers my company uses will do up to 1500 miles a week in and outside of London, now that’s what you call an iron butt.

You also have to ride in ALL weathers and get the job done.

However, it does give you an excuse to blaze down the motorway like a loony......

What about bus driving ???????? at least you have four wheels and once you know the routes you should be OK,,,,down side is the shifts,, the abuse you are going to get off passengers,pedestrians and other road users,, moneys not too bad,, if you can drive a van and been on the road a couple of years and your licence aint full of points they will help you get a PCV..........

I have worked in london on me bike if you only need to earn £200 a week then fine any more then you got to put the hours in and at the moment i would think work is very slow and going to get worse then you got the bloody black cabs,push bikes,blind car drivers,cost of insurance not cheap,and your bike cost having said that i had great fun for two years or so getting payed to ride all day is cool

What about bus driving ???????? at least you have four wheels and once you know the routes you should be OK,,,,down side is the shifts,, the abuse you are going to get off passengers,pedestrians and other road users,, moneys not too bad,, if you can drive a van and been on the road a couple of years and your licence aint full of points they will help you get a PCV..........

Nooooooooooooooooooo!! Its THE worst job in the world! i have a PSV and drove buses aorund Manchester for several years, but never again. Is the most stressful, thankless job i have ever done. The money wasn't all that great for the amount of shit you had to deal with and put up with and the management (at First Manchester) are the biggest bunch of arseholes i have ever had to work under.

If you want a job where you get constant grief from both passengers and management then go for it.

HOWEVER - on he plus side - when i left First, i went to a smaller company and i actually didnt mind it cos it was contract work, so all i did was pick up and drop off old ladies at the swimming baths etc. :D

If you want to drive or ride for a living, have you considered the Army? Or the Air Force?

In the MT pool, you get to drive all sorts of ma-HU-ssive things, go blasting down country lanes, screaming round the base and crazy stuff like that. Could even get to drive some armour, maybe.....

Plus you get to play with guns and oggle girls in uniform, get oggled by girls who love men in uniform and generally have a good time of things!!!!

ARMY

BE THE BEST

If you want to drive or ride for a living, have you considered the Army? Or the Air Force?

In the MT pool, you get to drive all sorts of ma-HU-ssive things, go blasting down country lanes, screaming round the base and crazy stuff like that. Could even get to drive some armour, maybe.....

Plus you get to play with guns and oggle girls in uniform, get oggled by girls who love men in uniform and generally have a good time of things!!!!

Don`t think Kevins other half would be very keen on your sugestion :D

Poor lad was only looking for a job in London !!

Nooooooooooooooooooo!! Its THE worst job in the world! i have a PSV and drove buses aorund Manchester for several years, but never again. Is the most stressful, thankless job i have ever done.

Yep seen the film,read the book and got the Tshirt,,,,, been doing it off n on for the last 30 years :mellow:

Yep seen the film,read the book and got the Tshirt,,,,, been doing it off n on for the last 30 years :mellow:

My god!!! I lasted about 5 years and never went back - nor would i ever! Kudos to you for putting up with it though!

There is a DVD out there, it's free when you buy a bike, so your local dealer will have some copies around.

It's called A Street A Track an Open Road, worth watching just for Suzi Perry, but has Chris Walker (we all know) A bloke who writes about bikes (Bob McMillan) and a London Courier. It will give you some idea of the challenges these couriers face, as one of the sections is about being a courier.

If you want I can post you a copy (if you'll cover the postage) PP me with your details - I've a couple knocking around.

perry0002yt5.jpg

perry0002yt5.jpg

Funny, Intelligent, does gadgets things, knows about bikes.

.... and carries off that two piece too........

I rest my case.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online