Full moped licence at 16?

wild foamy
This post is 5578 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone.

just been chatting to a biker buddy of mine who will soon be taking his CBT, apparently he has been doing a bit of research and says you can get a full moped licence (no L-plates and can carry pillion) at 16 if you take a theory test and Moped part 2.

anyone heard of this before?, its news to me :S

- Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yes you can take a mopey test at 16, ok if ya really wanna take your girlfriend on the back of the bike etc, but i would hang fire and take the restricted test at 17 and save money, cos taking the mopey test t will not give you any advantage when you get too 17, and jut remember the automatic thing comes into the bike test now

merv

Yeah you can get the full moped test. My best mate did it and it means you're not restricted to 30 anymore just national speed limits, you don't need Lplates, and you can have a pillion. It was dead useful for me and my mates getting lifts around Town at lunch lol. He got pulled over by the police at one point and the officer was all cocky just like "Right mate, Today I'm going to take your license off of you. Three things, You were speeding, You've got no L plates, and You've got a pillion passenger. That adds up to 9 points I beleive..."He said grinning widely and matt just said "Do you need to see my license officer?" And pulled out this pink card and the officer ate his words and apologised to us!!! AHAHAHA. But yeah, I'm not sure it's REALLY worth doing. But it depends how far from 17 you are?

Yeah you can get the full moped test. My best mate did it and it means you're not restricted to 30 anymore ?????? just national speed limits, you don't need Lplates, and you can have a pillion. It was dead useful for me and my mates getting lifts around Town at lunch lol. He got pulled over by the police at one point and the officer was all cocky just like "Right mate, Today I'm going to take your license off of you. Three things, You were speeding, You've got no L plates, and You've got a pillion passenger. That adds up to 9 points I beleive..."He said grinning widely and matt just said "Do you need to see my license officer?" And pulled out this pink card and the officer ate his words and apologised to us!!! AHAHAHA. But yeah, I'm not sure it's REALLY worth doing. But it depends how far from 17 you are?

I dont think yuo can do more than 30 mph still after passing the test, by definition all you can ride at 16 is a 50cc bike restricted too 30 mph etc, so technically youre mate could have been done for riding a bike capable of more than 30 mph

so if he was 16 he should not have been on it at all would only have had a provisional licence there fore should not have had a pillion no plates he was very lucky the old bill did not throw the book at him

Merv

I dont think yuo can do more than 30 mph still after passing the test, by definition all you can ride at 16 is a 50cc bike restricted too 30 mph etc, so technically youre mate could have been done for riding a bike capable of more than 30 mph

so if he was 16 he should not have been on it at all would only have had a provisional licence there fore should not have had a pillion no plates he was very lucky the old bill did not throw the book at him

Merv

The full test allows you to ride at the national speed limits with one pillion passenger and sans the L plates. Matt was completely within the law, but like a lot of people, the copper was unaware of the existence of the full moped license and therefore assumed my buddy was in the wrong on all counts.

The full test allows you to ride at the national speed limits with one pillion passenger and sans the L plates. Matt was completely within the law, but like a lot of people, the copper was unaware of the existence of the full moped license and therefore assumed my buddy was in the wrong on all counts.

Yes the full bike test would but not the full moped test read your licence and the definition of a moped, they are not allowed to do more than 30 mph full stop so if the bike does over 30 mph it becomes a 50 cc motorcycle then you need to be 17 to ride it which would put the rider back on L plates as the moped full licence would only count as a provisional on said bike, that is the law so be careful seen many a teenager end up with their tail between their legs like this thinking they know all, i was around when the law changed and looked into it all when my son and daughter were learning to ride,

in my day the 50cc bike needed to be able to propelled by pedals that was all, when you got too 17 you could remove pedals fit footrests and take your test, then jump on anything you wanted the next day no 2 year 33bhp limit or anything like that

Merv

Yes the full bike test would but not the full moped test read your licence and the definition of a moped, they are not allowed to do more than 30 mph full stop so if the bike does over 30 mph it becomes a 50 cc motorcycle then you need to be 17 to ride it which would put the rider back on L plates as the moped full licence would only count as a provisional on said bike, that is the law so be careful seen many a teenager end up with their tail between their legs like this thinking they know all, i was around when the law changed and looked into it all when my son and daughter were learning to ride,

in my day the 50cc bike needed to be able to propelled by pedals that was all, when you got too 17 you could remove pedals fit footrests and take your test, then jump on anything you wanted the next day no 2 year 33bhp limit or anything like that

Merv

Meh, I just ride on my CBT anyway. I'm getting my full license soon though. My bike is faster than 30 mph and I know it. I just ride responsibly wherever i am and always stay within speed limits. Either way out of 6 people in my school year, one 50cc is actually restricted to 30 mph. I'm getting a 125cc for my birthday hopefully (or half of one) so I'll not need to worry about it from then on in.

ive got a full year to wait until im 17, and i would rather have a full moped licence.

i get paid thursday so will be putting new brakes and tyres on the DT, and booking my theory test :)

Meh, I just ride on my CBT anyway. I'm getting my full license soon though. My bike is faster than 30 mph and I know it. I just ride responsibly wherever i am and always stay within speed limits. Either way out of 6 people in my school year, one 50cc is actually restricted to 30 mph. I'm getting a 125cc for my birthday hopefully (or half of one) so I'll not need to worry about it from then on in.

yeh i dont think many 50,s are restricted after they get too about 2 months old, i soon took the restrictor out of my daughters pug scoot it was using fuel like it was going out of fashion geared down too 30. and well we once had a late FS1 here ported and running on a micron spannie, that was good for 50 mph, as was the RX50 i had for a while last summer

and that was without the arrow chamber that is till in my shed

Merv

• 3 weeks later...

Heya, it all depends on the state law you live in so check it out. I rode mopeds for years in colorado, not because I was 16 (I was 23), but because they were fun and I didn't need to purchase insurance or register bike. I was able to ride on roads with speed limits not faster than 40 which was ok considering I was on a moped, and I could hop on the side walk and take a short cut at redlights or in traffic. I also took it on bike trails lol, which i dont think i was supposed to, but it's a 20 mile scenic route through downtown which is fun, lots of LONG sidewalk trails like that here. If you see the authority, hit the kill switch and start pedeling.

In my state you gotta be 15 and get a moped liscence, the vehicle can't go faster than 35 on flat land, and it has to be an automatic, and be 50cc or under, but it's SO eazy to make them 70-80cc. It doesnt have to have pedals here in this state, but in some states it does. You need to get a sticker on them from DMV, but it's 5$ for 3 years, and all you need is a bill of sale if bought.

If your gonna own a moped, your gonna have to absolutely do all you own maitenence and everything, so get ready to learn about 2 strokes whether you want to or not. I love working on two strokes so it's all good to to me, but mopeds are always broke, but eazy to fix, so you get alot of practice lol. You learn how to diagnose problems well after a while, and you learn how to tune you bike just right so you can squeeze every last drop of power out of it. Later on when you get bored, you learn how to port you own cylinders to give the bike a faster top speed or better low end, it's all very good knowledge.

If you are gonna be sharking through walking/biking trails, neighborhoods, downtown areas, and small streets with 30mph speed limits they are awsome, if you gonna be on busier streets and maybe even highway, mopes suck.