V Star 950

Jayhawk
This post is 5330 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Has any one had a chance to sit on one of these yet ? I stopped by the local dealer Saturday and they had two, one a ourer one not - but just as I found them my autistic son had a melt down and we had to leave to calm him down.

Opinions ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks as much of a posey mess as the other Midnight Stars.

OK, I can appreciate why people want this, but why aren't they doing any Custom models too. Why just the 'Classics', particularly when the Customs have more of a classic retro look anyway?

Methinks Yamaha are missing a trick or two.....

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will be a tough sell since there are a lot of unsold V Star 1300s that can be had for not much more cash. That's not including the unsold 1100s which probably sell for the same amount. Style-wise they're no different looking from the other Stars. I think they need to make a mini Raider version with a fat rear & skinny front tire, bobbed fenders and an ultra-low seat height. That'll sell!

I finally wasable to go back and sit on one today - the reviews I've read were right. The windshield on the tourer is considerably too low (I could live with / replace that) and the air cleaner etc that just out on the sides force my legs out to an uncomfortable position. That just makes it a non-starter in my opinion.

The 1100 and 1300 are not options for me, regardless of price. The 950 was the largest engined bike I was seriously looking at; I'd rather be in the 750-850 range. I was willing to make an exception because I really like the 250 I've been riding that I got for the wife and daughter, and for me the looks o the tourer were appealing (it is a little different than the others in the V Star line-up; lower for one thing).

So, I guess I'll be looking at either a Triumph America, or perhaps a Suzuki C50 or M50.

They should never have stopped the 650 Drag!!

It's just about perfect for all the Mid-Range stuff you want from a Cruiser.

Fair enough, the 1300s can accelerate faster, but they all have a very similar top speed and all that. Cruisers are basically much of a muchness.

They should never have stopped the 650 Drag!!

It's just about perfect for all the Mid-Range stuff you want from a Cruiser.

Fair enough, the 1300s can accelerate faster, but they all have a very similar top speed and all that. Cruisers are basically much of a muchness.

Well to be fair I have never owned a 650 Drag... but can they realy cruise at 95... my 1300 can, and with a screen and lowers I can smoke at th same time :-)

Well to be fair I have never owned a 650 Drag... but can they realy cruise at 95... my 1300 can, and with a screen and lowers I can smoke at th same time :-)

OK, they tend to cruise at about 85, but that's probably because they don't have screens as standard.

Mine does 107 flat out, maybe more with a screen and bits.

However, although the 1100s do beat me off the lights, I easily keep pace once we're all up to speed.

I even outperform the older riders. Never tried it against a 1300+, but they're too heavy for my rather practical tastes.

I probably could smoke, but I need both hands to roll :D

OK, they tend to cruise at about 85, but that's probably because they don't have screens as standard.

However, although the 1100s do beat me off the lights, I easily keep pace once we're all up to speed.

I even outperform the older riders. Never tried it against a 1300+, but they're too heavy for my rather practical tastes.

Yep mine tops out about that too. Cant beat the good ol 650's :D

I do like the look of the 950 though

The 1300 will drive off the clock... (Just) which is an indicated 130, mind you I wouldnt want to try without a screen, Handling seems OK, Again not much to compare with, the wife has a vs800 which is a fair bit lighter but not as stable at speed and no where near the same aceleration...

How heavy are these 950s and 1300s respectively?

What are they like to back into a tight parking space?

How heavy are these 950s and 1300s respectively?

What are they like to back into a tight parking space?

Well the 1300 spec sheet says 303Kg... I wouldnt want to pick one up

Backing into parking is easy... well compared to my last bike which was a Honda Blackbird it is..

Not sure bout the 950..

A mate of mine who rides a 600 was suppired how easy it was to handle... all the wieght is low down

go on buy one... u know you want to! :-)

Weight may be low down, but that still means nothing when you're having to wrench it about.

If you slip slightly, you're still going down.

Thats the same reason I declined a Pan and an FJR1300. Nice enough, but a touch too big and heavy to allow for the sort of things I have to do with them.

They're like a thick, thick woolen jumper compared to a thermal mid-layer.

Either way, the 950 seems nice enough, but I still prefer the pseudo-retro look of the Customs.

I REALLY like the look of these, but would obviously want a go on one before i bought one - but im SERIOUSLY interested.

You would be, wouldn't you - It's Classic styled ;)

The specs list the 950 (Both versions) at 612 lbs - that is supposed to be wet weight, all fluids.

Goff, I agree with you, I really like the looks of them too. I had pretty much convinced myself that a 950 Tourer would be my next bike. Then I sat on one. Seriously, you can't get your knees against the tank because the air cleaner (on one side, I forget what it is on the other side) juts out too far.

You would be, wouldn't you - It's Classic styled ;)

Yes, yes i would be :D You know me far to well Tt ;)

The specs list the 950 (Both versions) at 612 lbs - that is supposed to be wet weight, all fluids.

Goff, I agree with you, I really like the looks of them too. I had pretty much convinced myself that a 950 Tourer would be my next bike. Then I sat on one. Seriously, you can't get your knees against the tank because the air cleaner (on one side, I forget what it is on the other side) juts out too far.

Im only a shorty so my knees dont go against the tank anywhoo, but as soon as i can find one locally ill go take a look - you have to dontcha lol. Are they even over here in Blighty yet does anyone know?

But thanks for the heads up ;)

Yes, yes i would be :D You know me far to well Tt ;)

Im only a shorty so my knees dont go against the tank anywhoo, but as soon as i can find one locally ill go take a look - you have to dontcha lol. Are they even over here in Blighty yet does anyone know?

But thanks for the heads up ;)

Why do you want your knees on the tank anyway???

The 1300 has an air fillter on one side and a dummy cover on the other... maybe the 950 is the same? I have stuck some stroke lights under mine, so u get a nice red flashing effect in between the cylinders

Ive not seen one in the flesh, but I read a review in Bike or Ride, so I assume they are being imported, mind u yu can pick up a 1300 for a song, so it will be intersting to see where they pitch it

None of our local places have 'em..... I just asked!!

They're also typically clueless as to if and when they will get them.

None of our local places have 'em..... I just asked!!

They're also typically clueless as to if and when they will get them.

Same here, i called Chorley Yam and they didnt seem to know if we would be graced with them at all either.

They are going for aroun $8k so im HOPING they will be within my budget if and when they finally appear.

There is mention of them on the UK yam site, but it says price TBC so fingers crossed they are scheduled to make an appearance soon.

Incidentally there is a full review of it in this months BIKE magazine (apparently) - havent had the chance to get hold of it yet but shall take a look this weekend. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I had a sit on one at the NEC bike show - and I want one!

Seriously I'd have the 950 over the 1300 or 1900!!

Popped into one of the dealers near me and they said £6400

If I had a nice warm garage to look after it in - I'd be ordering one tomorrow...

Just how long can I resist temptation???

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online