DT400E Shift Shaft Sealing Boot

Rob at MDC
This post is 5627 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just picked up a 1978 DT400E that is in decent shape for its years (filling all the squares that went unfilled when I was younger and poorer). Took it out into the Idaho desert for a run last weekend and it ran the legs off my KLR 650. Started with three kicks at 45F. A little crusty looking but I think it gives it character. Just one problem, it leaks badly around the shifter, enough so that I don't have to worry about finding my way back home. Looks like I need a shift shaft sealing boot according to bikebandit.com. Unfortunately it seems to be a discontinued item. Does anyone know of a source or suitable substitute?

Thanks,

Rob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just picked up a 1978 DT400E that is in decent shape for its years (filling all the squares that went unfilled when I was younger and poorer). Took it out into the Idaho desert for a run last weekend and it ran the legs off my KLR 650. Started with three kicks at 45F. A little crusty looking but I think it gives it character. Just one problem, it leaks badly around the shifter, enough so that I don't have to worry about finding my way back home. Looks like I need a shift shaft sealing boot according to bikebandit.com. Unfortunately it seems to be a discontinued item. Does anyone know of a source or suitable substitute?

Thanks,

Rob

Speed and Sport has them in stock.

Check the shaft seal, as well...that part is still available, and is easy to replace without taking the engine apart.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online