Battery question

senilesmurf
This post is 5784 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Great forum!

I posted the below content on another forum and have also come here for some possible guidance. Please bear in mind that I am a 36 year old who has just dicovered a new hobby and that I am a complete novice!

"I have recently aquired a 2003 DTR125 from a friend of a friend which I am to beleive was a stolen then recovered bike.

The issue I have is not a problem as such, but it looks as if the previous owner did some tinkering with the bike, as he used it soley off road, which is fine as that is what I am doing. There are many un-connected electrical cables where the lights, indicators etc used to be, which again is no problem as I have taped them securely away from anything. the issue I have is that the battery loses it's charge quite quickly and I am having to trickle charge it for about an hour before I use the bike. Should the battery maintain it's charge? Or even charge itself? Is it because the previous owner has taken off 99% of the electrical componets, with the exception of the ignition barrel?

As stated, I am a complete novice when it comes to all things electrical, so I hope that I have not posted a stupid question.

Forgot to mention that when the battery is charged and the ignition turned on, the Neutral and oil lights come on nice and bright and I hear, what i now beleive to be the powervalve coming on. I have also been told that there should be some form of regulator under the seat? I took the seat off yesterday and the only thing visible was a plastic flat wide tube (i can describe it as a toeless sock! :rolleyes: ) which seems to be coming from the air filter compartment and other again, unconnected cables, one of which had a small connector block on the end but was not connected to anything.

Don't get me wrong, the bike works fine and fits my purpose for off roading, it is just that when you own something, one wants it to be as good as it possibly can.

Be gentle with me and thanks for taking the time to read......

Smurf out

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry mate, no I don't.

I have seen something like it on the DTR125.net website, but am afraid it is all double dutch to me

Ive got a drawing from where you said, the reg/rectifier has a plug socket, the wire colours in the plug will be,White, Red,yellow/Red, and Black. so if you find a plug hanging around with these colours then thats where it should be.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online