1978 yz80

rockout12001
This post is 5421 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

newbie here. just want to thank everyone in advance. i am new to the vintage bike restoration and was looking for some advice. . after spending hours on the playstation everyday having absolutely no interest in anything in the garage, i brought it upon myself to buy 4 "vintage" dirtbikes/enduros to try and restore together. the first is a 1975 yamaha dt100. picked her up for $75 and spent about an hour to get her running. runs great, starts with one kick, but needs a clutch. this bike is too big for him so i found a 1978 yz80. my real question is what is this thing worth? anything at all? tried and tried to research history. all i found is it is the first year for the mono shock and thats about it. read that is a great beginner bike and that is what i am looking for. i came across 2 1974 gt80's too. can anyone steer me in the right direction. should i rob from the gt to make the yz better, or try to restore them both? like i said at the beginning, thanks in advance. i am a member of a chopper forum and have received some great help from others. some good advice and maybe some good parts sites or sites with some good pics to compare and see what all is missing would be great too.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i guess not. no one has anything to say so i will junk them out.

:welcome: to the forum

Nice collection of Vintage Dirtbikes you've got there RockOut ;)

This site has been great for sourcing parts for my XT.......MOTOGRID

Generally, their parts go for @ least 1/3 less than any dealer (including shipping to your door ;) )

Best part is the exploded views like a microphiche......helps alot seeing what you're after.

Definitely get the YZ running!.....You'll be glad you did. :thumb:

i guess not. no one has anything to say so i will junk them out.

I will take them all if you don't want them, The Gt 80's and the YZ dont share any of the same parts. All those bikes are worthty of restoration. The 74 GT 80's will probably bring the most money.

we took the yz apart. no spark at all. coil is good. kicker is missing, shifter is missing left engine cover was not bolted on, clutch pushrod is missing also. checked out the coil, it is ok. points are opening, but i think the signal is weak. put a fluke on the coil wire, getting a signal, but very low voltage. gonna pull the stator off and replace points. carb needs a good long soak. clutch cover bolts are seized, soaking them. couple came loose with an impact driver, but don't want to strip the rest out like the previous owner tried to do.

she fired up after about 100 kicks. after cleaning points, coil was shooting a real nice spark. squirted in a little race fuel off of the buell, and putt putt putt, she ran and actually sounded real good. clutch pushrod should be here tomorrow. gonna run to the local bike shop and pick up a chain and rob the sprocket off of one of the gt's. have the tank soaking in solvent. so far so good. son is wicked happy!!!!

she fired up after about 100 kicks. after cleaning points, coil was shooting a real nice spark. squirted in a little race fuel off of the buell, and putt putt putt, she ran and actually sounded real good. clutch pushrod should be here tomorrow. gonna run to the local bike shop and pick up a chain and rob the sprocket off of one of the gt's. have the tank soaking in solvent. so far so good. son is wicked happy!!!!

I am glad you got the 80 running but I don't think you have a YZ. The 1978 YZ 80 E has a CDI Ignition but the 1978 GT 80 MX has contact breaker points.

I am glad you got the 80 running but I don't think you have a YZ. The 1978 YZ 80 E has a CDI Ignition but the 1978 GT 80 MX has contact breaker points.

frame is monoshock, 2j5- vin. all of the info i have researches says yz80. the gt's that i have seen all have external shocks, not monoshock. can someone tell me what i do have for sure?

frame is monoshock, 2j5- vin. all of the info i have researches says yz80. the gt's that i have seen all have external shocks, not monoshock. can someone tell me what i do have for sure?

2J5 is a 1978 YZ80, But that came with a CDI unit not points, someone could have changed it to points but why?What is the serial number on the engine.

• 3 weeks later...

looking for a source,other than ebay, for parts. i need to replace the clutch, fibers and steels. can someone point me in the right direction? thanks in advance. on another subject, i picked up a couple more toys. 1997 kx125 (only gave $300 for it and it is in awesome condition). tracked down most of the parts for it and should be running it around soon. also got a 1988 suzuki lt230s 4 wheeler. gave 250 for it and got her running today. shifter was broke, had to drill it out and rig up a new pivot ball and carb was nasty. rebuilt it too. i was doing donuts in the snow in the front yard. had a blast. kids can't wait to get their hands on it.

looking for a source,other than ebay, for parts. i need to replace the clutch, fibers and steels. can someone point me in the right direction? thanks in advance. on another subject, i picked up a couple more toys. 1997 kx125 (only gave $300 for it and it is in awesome condition). tracked down most of the parts for it and should be running it around soon. also got a 1988 suzuki lt230s 4 wheeler. gave 250 for it and got her running today. shifter was broke, had to drill it out and rig up a new pivot ball and carb was nasty. rebuilt it too. i was doing donuts in the snow in the front yard. had a blast. kids can't wait to get their hands on it.

Yamaha still carries the clutch discs for the YZ 80 E Engine.

sorry, forgot to post engine #. 367-409270. can someone let me know what this is out of?

sorry, forgot to post engine #. 367-409270. can someone let me know what this is out of?

The engine is from a 1973 gtmx 80,first year for the 80cc.

thanks for the info. now the big question-where can i get a clutch for it? found clutch o ring for 10 on ebay, but i need the fibers and steels.

thanks for the info. now the big question-where can i get a clutch for it? found clutch o ring for 10 on ebay, but i need the fibers and steels.

Still avaliable from Yamaha.

• 1 month later...

I have a question along the same lines. I have a 1978 GT80, that I bought a complete mess. Rebuilt it all, now I am down to the point where I am trying to figure out the electrics, which I suck at. It has no lights any more, no battery, but has a place for one, no witing harness, but has 4 wires coming from behind the flywheel, which I got from Ebay. It has points. So, I check the coil, it's good, I check to see if power is coming from the black wire, it is, I put the black wire on the black wire coming from the coil, nothing.

Help, this is driving me nuts.

<_<

• 2 weeks later...

is the kill switch working/ wire shorted out? i guess i don't quite understand what is going on? are you saying you are not getting any spark? i had to clean and adjust the points. i have it running now. just got the clutch pieces in today. had to put it on hold. wife got really sick over the holidays. i just ordered new nobbies and tubes. should be in wed. need to go through the brakes too, but won't order anything until i check them out. gonna clean the rust out of the tank tomorrow too. getting close.

just updating progress. ordered new rubber for it, so i took the old ones off. front brakes are in great shape just need a little cable adjustment when i put it back together. took the rear off and the rear brakes were frozed solid. took a little work getting them cleaned up. polished up the rims and they look like almost sorta good. shined up pretty good. took the wire wheel and stripped the rear swing arm and arms down to bare metal. gave them a nice fresh coat of black. tried adjusting the clutch, but i think i need a new lever assembly. way too much play in the lever and shouldered bolt is gone. will pick one up tomorrow.

now i think i might have a problem. i just now noticed i do not have the air box/cleaner. is there a resource for a "bolt on" air filter? i tried searching, but haven't come up with anything yet.