The season is done

TazR6
This post is 5800 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Went out last monday nite, only to find the gritters had been out before me (Nottingham). I have been saying for some months that as soon as the gritters are out, my bike is coming off the road. So, last monday nites use was the last of the year.

It is going to live at a friends in his mega shed, where some little tweaks are going to be made here and there. All being well, it will emerge in Spring with a new coat of paint (had it done in June, but it was a cack job, and already looks more tatty than the paint that was on it from new) and a slight performance BOOST.

Got a 2001 ZX9R as a winter runabout. Its a boat! Much more suitable than a highly strung R6 is for cold, gritty wet roads.

Anyone taking their "good" bike off the road for winter and using something else?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Got a 2001 ZX9R as a winter runabout. Its a boat! Much more suitable than a highly strung R6 is for cold, gritty wet roads.

Anyone taking their "good" bike off the road for winter and using something else?

Me too mate, away goes the bandit and out comes the ..........................bicycle!!! :lol:

took my last ride to rivvie today. drained the oil and fuel and a kiss till spring.

just got a cg125 for nowt, so i may use that even though i want the missus to have it (resistance is futile woman!!)

Whaddya mean season winter is what hondas are for, cover it in ACF 50 and keep riding enjoy the empty roads on nice days, learn how too deal with mud etc, winter riding is very rewarding, ok you dont ride like in the summer but then who needs to imitate a grand prix rider, bloody lighweights :D :D :D :D :D

lookee here

winter riding in devon

merv

Whaddya mean season winter is what hondas are for, cover it in ACF 50 and keep riding enjoy the empty roads on nice days, learn how too deal with mud etc, winter riding is very rewarding, ok you dont ride like in the summer but then who needs to imitate a grand prix rider, bloody lighweights

lookee here

winter riding in devon

merv

Dont have a honda, and theres nowt lightweight about riding a pushbike 14 miles a day over Mottram moor...lightweight is using the motorbike...hopefully when winter is over i will will be a bit lighter though ;)

Dont have a honda, and theres nowt lightweight about riding a pushbike 14 miles a day over Mottram moor...lightweight is using the motorbike...hopefully when winter is over i will will be a bit lighter though ;)

respect mate yes hoping the winter will not be too cold for ya, sell ya my SLR 650 if ya want a honda to ride through the winter

Merv

Season?

What?

Have I missed something here?

I'm looking forward to the nice clear roads, the grit, the salt, slippery roads, the acknowledgement from other 'real' bikers. ;)

Funny, but I get more enjoyment and a feeling of satisfaction from riding the A69 on a frosty morning than a 200 mile blast through the Dales on a warm summers day - and you don't need to keep an eye out for some divvy trying to break the land speed record either...

I'm with Mervin on this one... :thumb:

Season?

What?

Have I missed something here?

I'm looking forward to the nice clear roads, the grit, the salt, slippery roads, the acknowledgement from other 'real' bikers. ;)

Funny, but I get more enjoyment and a feeling of satisfaction from riding the A69 on a frosty morning than a 200 mile blast through the Dales on a warm summers day - and you don't need to keep an eye out for some divvy trying to break the land speed record either...

I'm with Mervin on this one... :thumb:

well mate i am with you and mervin on this one, season what season in a country where summer never arrived and winters are getting milder , besides the fact its only autumn there is nothing nicer than a long ride on a nice cold clear day, with all the gear thats available these days, get wrapped up and enjoy it the experience is also another aspect you will learn a lot, i can understand that if you have a nice bike or a classic you might want to put your baby to bed but get an old bike keep riding and enjoy life to the full, there are plenty of bikes out there for sale ie NEVER BEEN USED IN THE RAIN buy one and give it a treat, i dont know how i would survive winter not using the bike, its a pity car drivers dont put there cars away for winter it would be even better lol

well mate i am with you and mervin on this one, season what season in a country where summer never arrived and winters are getting milder , besides the fact its only autumn there is nothing nicer than a long ride on a nice cold clear day, with all the gear thats available these days, get wrapped up and enjoy it the experience is also another aspect you will learn a lot, i can understand that if you have a nice bike or a classic you might want to put your baby to bed but get an old bike keep riding and enjoy life to the full, there are plenty of bikes out there for sale ie NEVER BEEN USED IN THE RAIN buy one and give it a treat, i dont know how i would survive winter not using the bike, its a pity car drivers dont put there cars away for winter it would be even better lol

Yeah the RD,s will only come out if it is a nice day now the honda trailie/funduro will get the rain and snow

also gives a chance too fettle the classics, mind you with weather and work the 250 has done about 90 miles since rebuild

and the 400 about 200 miles this year one trip north devon > cheddar> weston super mud> north devon

Merv

NAHHHHH!!!

I ride the Cruiser all year round.

I think I have been misunderstood. I am not hanging up my Helmet (I am actully in a way. My Shoei has been bagged up and stored, and my winter KBC is now in use).

I am continuing to ride, but not the R6. That is off the road. I am using the ZX9R through winter.

I am not subjecting the R6 to salty roads. I used it last year in winter, and it was a pain washing it after every trip out on it. It was the first time it had been run in a winter season.

The ZX9R is more of a plodder, and is better suited to crappy roads, from its power delivery to the tires.

This,

30-06-0822.jpg

is being replaced for a few months with this;

Picture683.jpg.

The R6, all being well, will be coming back in Spring with a new paint job (it was done in June, but it was done a a favor at "mates rates", and its far from perfect) and somewhat of a performance BOOST. Good times!

I follow ya, mate!!

Hence I'm not doing the Summer Rider Piss-Take!!

If I had the money, I'd likely have bought a bike better suited to Winter.

But as is, I make do with the Chrome Queen and just do lots of cleaning, conditioning and ACF applying!!

I think I have been misunderstood. I am not hanging up my Helmet (I am actully in a way. My Shoei has been bagged up and stored, and my winter KBC is now in use).

I am continuing to ride, but not the R6. That is off the road. I am using the ZX9R through winter.

I am not subjecting the R6 to salty roads. I used it last year in winter, and it was a pain washing it after every trip out on it. It was the first time it had been run in a winter season.

The ZX9R is more of a plodder, and is better suited to crappy roads, from its power delivery to the tires.

This,

30-06-0822.jpg

is being replaced for a few months with this;

Picture683.jpg.

The R6, all being well, will be coming back in Spring with a new paint job (it was done in June, but it was done a a favor at "mates rates", and its far from perfect) and somewhat of a performance BOOST. Good times!

oops sorry mate did not mean you in in person i see your mention of the Zx9 now, but there are those who do hide there bikes all winter, and then thee are the riders from the africa twin forum

Africa Not me thinks Scotland this weekend

Img0039.JPG

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online