sr 125 chain problems

rollin9999
This post is 5687 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey folks, new to the club, and new to bikes, so bare with me please

im in france with my sr 125, i was taking a tight corner and leaning over quite a bit

the chain came loose, and off the rear wheel cog (bad jargon, i know)

so i put it back on, easily enough, but then it was really loose.

anyways i continued along my merry way, bike still functioning just about.

but sometimes the chain would come off, obviously coz its real loose....

so now i've had a friend tighten it, not sure how, i guess he took out some links???

apparently, the chain is completely wrecked, it badly needs oil and to be changed....

i know, i'm useless.

so heres the quetions

how much does a knew chain cost? roughly...

with the oil, do i just pour it on like one would for a bicycle....

how long will this "completely wrecked" chain last....

will it do any other damage to the bike if i continue with it.....

thanks a mill for any advice or tips, sorry about the rediculously trivial questions....

ps i wont be reparing it myself, due to lack of tools while travelling and complete ignorance!!!!

rollin9999

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey folks, new to the club, and new to bikes, so bare with me please

im in france with my sr 125, i was taking a tight corner and leaning over quite a bit

the chain came loose, and off the rear wheel cog (bad jargon, i know)

so i put it back on, easily enough, but then it was really loose.

anyways i continued along my merry way, bike still functioning just about.

but sometimes the chain would come off, obviously coz its real loose....

so now i've had a friend tighten it, not sure how, i guess he took out some links???

apparently, the chain is completely wrecked, it badly needs oil and to be changed....

i know, i'm useless.

so heres the quetions

how much does a knew chain cost? roughly...

with the oil, do i just pour it on like one would for a bicycle....

how long will this "completely wrecked" chain last....

will it do any other damage to the bike if i continue with it.....

thanks a mill for any advice or tips, sorry about the rediculously trivial questions....

ps i wont be reparing it myself, due to lack of tools while travelling and complete ignorance!!!!

rollin9999

Word of Advice take it to your local bike shop or garage and get them to order u a new chain and sprocket set and get them to fit it and get them to show you how to adjust it if need be and use gearbox oil on ure chain works onders..... should cost no more than £40 for a set

Hi there,

chain will come off if it is totally done (worn out). Chain and sprockets set should be no more than £40. Tightening a loose chain involves moving the rear axle away from the engine, but if the chain is so worn that it comes off the rear sprocket, it needs to be replaced as you will run out of adjustment. These bikes do seem to wear out chain/sprockets at quite a rate, but better to have a good chain on rather than have the rear wheel lock up on you at speed. A shop shouldn't charge more than one hour's labour to change the chain and sprockets: find out their hourly rate, and get a quote before committing to them doing the job. Its easy enough to do yourself, but this isn't an option for you at present. Get a Haynes manual for the SR125 and read it and learn - these small bikes are perfect for learning the basics on. Chain oil - ep80 gear oil or similar - anything is better than nothing.

HTH,

Nigel

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online