1981 XS400 Oil Drain Bolt

paultsmith
This post is 5697 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so I have a 1981 XS400 and am going to change the oil for the first time. (In the process of rebuilding it)

On the bottom of the crankshaft underneath the oil filter housing, there are 2 bolts, but I am not sure which one is for the oil drain plug. There is one bolt that hangs down quite a bit lower than the other. I tried looking at the parts diagram however the iso view is not quite clear.

By the way is there also appears to be another similar bolt on the left hand crankcase.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok so I have a 1981 XS400 and am going to change the oil for the first time. (In the process of rebuilding it)

On the bottom of the crankshaft underneath the oil filter housing, there are 2 bolts, but I am not sure which one is for the oil drain plug. There is one bolt that hangs down quite a bit lower than the other. I tried looking at the parts diagram however the iso view is not quite clear.

By the way is there also appears to be another similar bolt on the left hand crankcase.

Thanks

AFAIK the oil drain bolt is on the bottom of the crankcase, on the...right? side? It’s a giant bolt on the bottom that will be parallel with the ground.

Thanks to all, for the record, the bolt was the large 17mm bolt on the bottom that extended the farthest towards the ground. It was stuck on like a MF however after taking a torch to it for several minutes I was able to finally get it loose. Thanks to anyone whom read this post.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online