MT-03 - Not popular?

ulster exile
This post is 5547 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm totally new to biking so forgive my ignorance to start with...

Bought my YBR125 on 17th August this year (seems like years away!) and ever since have been looking for options on my post-DAS bike. I've been building a shortlist - liking street style bikes and being a short-arse at 5'4" (hubby says 5'3") can't do too tall, although I'm willing to get it shortened if needs be. Can't do anything sporty, since the hobby has seriously exacerbated my carpal tunnel syndrome so can't be in a riding position with too much stress on my wrists.

Anyway, long story short, but it's only tonight that I've come across the MT-03. Not heard/read anything about it in weeks of looking on t'internet for good bikes in the 250-650cc range before now. Never seen anybody recommend it, so wondering if there's a reason why?

Seems like a nice bike if looks are anything to go by, read a few reviews (including the old thread on here) so why is it not more popular amongst the folk who like the naked/street bikes?

TIA!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my friend has it, he loves it

it has tonnes of torque, is also a wheelie machine.

my friend was doign stopies on it and wheelies within a week of buying it.

only down side to it is that has got alot of electrics, a alarm etc, so not a bad thing. I would strongly recomend one, they can be very loud with a arrow exaust on them!

maybe not the most pillion friendly bike in the world, but it doesnt stop me going on the back! and riding it

insurance is pretty good aswell, and it looks proper good.

here is a pic i took one night

DSC00103.jpg

Bought my YBR125 on 17th August this year (seems like years away!) and ever since have been looking for options on my post-DAS bike. I've been building a shortlist - liking street style bikes and being a short-arse at 5'4" (hubby says 5'3") can't do too tall, although I'm willing to get it shortened if needs be. Can't do anything sporty, since the hobby has seriously exacerbated my carpal tunnel syndrome so can't be in a riding position with too much stress on my wrists.

Anyway, long story short, but it's only tonight that I've come across the MT-03. Not heard/read anything about it in weeks of looking on t'internet for good bikes in the 250-650cc range before now. Never seen anybody recommend it, so wondering if there's a reason why?

Seems like a nice bike if looks are anything to go by, read a few reviews (including the old thread on here) so why is it not more popular amongst the folk who like the naked/street bikes?

TIA!

Nice bit of kit ... there is a Girl in my area who has one ... she loves it (even the wacky looks ... sorry I like old stuff) her comment was 'it does what it says on the tin...... and some

regards Jim

I've been wanting to find one (and an MT-01 too), but looks like the MT-03 is Europe only, and the MT-01 is Europe and Canada only (I'm in the USA).

Cheers for the replies guys - appreciated ;)

As a 'first big bike' option, wheeles/stoppies aren't on the top of my list, nor are pillion options as the OH has his own bike. Still, also good to hear about the alarm & insurance!

I'm liking the "Girl's" opinion too - that counts for a lot ;) she wasn't a short-arse, was she :lol:

The position of the bars compared to the seat look good - so it has a more upright position (sit up and beg?) which is what I need with my wrists.

As long as it's manouevreable enough for city riding, but does alright on a motorway/A roads for longer-distance travel, I'd be happy.

Sounds like I can add that to the list of ones to have a gander at in the flesh, along with the ER6n and SV650.

TIA!

Hi

I have a 2006 MT03 had it for 2 years now, great bike. I have been riding all kind of bikes for over 30 years, one before the MT03 was a Honda CBR600, very fast but bland. The MT03 is great fun even on a short trip. Power delivery takes a bit of getting used to. I have had more fun on the MT03 than any other bike. I highly recommend it.

If you are in Northern Ireland contact Hursts for test ride, you wont be disapointed.

Harry

Cheers for the info!

I'm in Birmingham at the mo (guess I should update the profile eh?) but I've booked to go to the NEC motorcyle show to see and sit on some bikes to start with before I think about test rides (need a test first lol).

Cheers for the info!

I'm in Birmingham at the mo (guess I should update the profile eh?) but I've booked to go to the NEC motorcyle show to see and sit on some bikes to start with before I think about test rides (need a test first lol).

the MT will be cool ... if your going to nec tell us what day & Helen & I will have a meet up with you .. chew the fat etc etc

Regards Jim

Cool Jim - will let you know nearer the time as we haven't decided on a date for definite (but said when we booked it would be Sat 29th). Thanks!

sunday would be better 4 us .. I have to do refuse stuff early saturday ... but we could do later saturday ... depends on the trains .... I won't ride or drive to the NEC there's a fair chance you'll loose ur way home !!! :lol:

regards Jim

Has the xt engine doesnt it? so it would be reliable.

I really like it would get one if i didnt have my eye on a supermoto.

Cool looks aswell stands out in the crowd, go for it ;)

Thanks Ryan. I certainly agree that in the looks department (for those that like type of bike) it is the business.

Jim - will let you know. Me and the OH will be riding in - it's a nice route from our house as long as you stay away from the M6!

• 2 months later...

Just had to update this as I sat on my first MT-03 today. (sorry Jim, we were supposed to go Sat, but plans changed at last minute when we ended up spending the weekend in Leeds - with 5 nephews *shivers* )

I'm totally in love with this bike and can't wait to pass my test to actually test ride one! Out of the bikes I sat on numerous times today (ER6N, lowered F650, Suzuki Gladius and Honda CB600) the MT-03 is definitely the favourite for my first big bike.

It's a compact and bijou kind of affair where the distance from the seat to handlebars is much shorter than the others meaning my arms don't feel stretched, although that could be due to the seating position which tips you forward a little. 6'3" hubby felt uncomfortable and reckoned he didn't like this position, but little ol' 5'4" me felt like I was sat upright.

Can't wait to try this bike out!

the cb 600 has the most power out of them all

Perhaps, but I can't see myself really needing all that much power. I want a bike to be nippy round town and in traffic and capable of getting me up to the speed limit comfortably on a motorway.

Too right if it suits you and can do the speed limits why do you need more ? Ok I know I have a 900 but it has very rarley gone over the speed limits but it can pull 15mph in top gear and accelerate away from cars in that state ... the old cars are droping gears to keep up ! The MT is not as good as that but will do everything you need it to do, you may have to drop a gear or 2 to keep the cars away or not depends on your riding style. If the CBR doesn't float your boat why buy one ? If your happy with it go for it !

regards Jim

Jim - cheers :D my thinking exactly. in the future my opinions may change, but my focus at the mo is to learn to ride, not to go (really) fast.

Imanupstart - too right it's beautiful. Even more so in the flesh!

Jim - cheers :D my thinking exactly. in the future my opinions may change, but my focus at the mo is to learn to ride, not to go (really) fast.

This thread is short of a good picture for those that dont know the bike...quite a radical styling they have :thumb:

YamahaMT-03_2004_01_1024.jpg

I am old or something (don't answer that one) there is no need to do 167.55555 mph (mine does 167.5555 mph in second etc etc .... thats what some people get off on) whats wrong with good old 70 (80 at a push) you tend to last a bit longer at those speeds (rather than 167.55555) and dont wear out Tyres & brakes so quick. I rode an R1 didn't like it at all (OK it was an early example back when it was new) riding position wrong & a bad flat spot in the mid range (just the area I would run the bike). but back to the point I would guess any 600cc bike would suit you all the way across (performance etc) bigger stuff may become a bit of a handful, my XJ being old has no credit to speed or performance (reliability yes it has a good for one thing). My other half is also vertically chalenged 5 2 with high heels on, she bought a ZZR250 and had real problems with it so gave up riding bikes .... to date she gets on the 900 by scaling the footrest but jumps on the Fizzy no probs :lol:

Regards Jim