Direct Access Test - Cost??

Pedz
This post is 5610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello

After hearing the good news that the new test has been delayed, and the fact i am annoyed at my mates keep pulling away from me as i only have a 125, i decided it is time to get off my arse and take my full test. Called the place that arranged my CBT and was quoted the below for direct access....is this too expensive?

option 1 - £590

x1 day 125 - 500 training

x2 days 500cc training

test on the 4th Day

Option 2 - £490

Same as above without the transition day from a 125cc to a 500cc.

Price includes all training, teory test, practical test and they book everything for me (quite hassle free). Seems expensive though?? plus £130 i think it was for a re-test if (or should that be when :D) i fail

What do you reckon?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Option 1 is a bit more than I paid for my test.

However, I've seen it as high as £700 round here.

Shop around.

• 3 weeks later...

Option 1 is a bit more than I paid for my test.

However, I've seen it as high as £700 round here.

Shop around.

I have my 5 day course the week after next and it has cost me £750 in Glos which is cheap. Most are around £800 now!

The price is subjective,

it might be a few quid cheaper somewhere else, but you're soon going to eat into that with daily traveling/digs/hotel (whatever your prefference is).

If you have the cash, and you want the bigger bike then you're going to have to pay. It is an unfortunate fact of life these days that the schools are charging what they like and getting away with it. Personally I'd like to see an end to block booking of test slots by the riding schools, so everyone can have thier chance equally.

Gosh, it all cost so much now. I am glad I passed mine when I did cos things realy stared to change. Would I like to go for my test again :rolleyes: and would I pass!!.

Michelle.x

The price is subjective,

it might be a few quid cheaper somewhere else, but you're soon going to eat into that with daily traveling/digs/hotel (whatever your prefference is).

If you have the cash, and you want the bigger bike then you're going to have to pay. It is an unfortunate fact of life these days that the schools are charging what they like and getting away with it. Personally I'd like to see an end to block booking of test slots by the riding schools, so everyone can have thier chance equally.

i agree with everthing you say but would add what some schools call a lesson is a joke a friends son went on a das course and the daily lesson lasted an hour and a half,find out what the course involves how long each lesson is if the couse fee includes test fee ,theory test etc and in the case of a fail how much to retake as it can be expensive if they charge booking fee test fee bike hire etc.

as for block booking its a disgrace it is forcing bikers to pay huge amounts of money to take there test or wait in some areas for weeks because the riding schools in the area have taken up the slots

i agree with everthing you say but would add what some schools call a lesson is a joke a friends son went on a das course and the daily lesson lasted an hour and a half,find out what the course involves how long each lesson is if the couse fee includes test fee ,theory test etc and in the case of a fail how much to retake as it can be expensive if they charge booking fee test fee bike hire etc.

as for block booking its a disgrace it is forcing bikers to pay huge amounts of money to take there test or wait in some areas for weeks because the riding schools in the area have taken up the slots

If I end up with anything less than 5 hrs tuition each day then the instructor won't ever be able to ride a bike again once I finish with him!! It is crazy though - I know of one guy charging £800 for a 4 day course which doesn't include theory test!!

• 2 weeks later...

hello

After hearing the good news that the new test has been delayed, and the fact i am annoyed at my mates keep pulling away from me as i only have a 125, i decided it is time to get off my arse and take my full test. Called the place that arranged my CBT and was quoted the below for direct access....is this too expensive?

option 1 - £590

x1 day 125 - 500 training

x2 days 500cc training

test on the 4th Day

Option 2 - £490

Same as above without the transition day from a 125cc to a 500cc.

Price includes all training, teory test, practical test and they book everything for me (quite hassle free). Seems expensive though?? plus £130 i think it was for a re-test if (or should that be when :D) i fail

What do you reckon?

Jump at option 1 mate, I paid that (£590) 3 years ago when I had to resit my test (coz the DVLA lost my m/c licence). On swapping to a photo licence they reckoned I never held one, not even for 7.5tonne vehicles that i was driving for a living at the time (no prizes 4 guessing which pass cert copy I couldn't find).

Went for option 2...i know it might be false economy becasue if i fail then i will have to pay more but figured if i get in quite a bit of practice between now and then, and maybe spend a few hours riding a mates YZ426 i won't need the days transition training.

Will let ya know how i get on!!

Time to revise now for the theory and hazard perception test. Bit miffed as to why i need to do theory again, i passed it when i did my car test....surely just another way of them making more money!! :angry:

• 1 month later...

passed my theory a couple of weeks ago.

Had my training this weekend and test yesterday....only went and failed!!! stupid mistake...oh well.

Going to book another one ASAP and take it again! will get there in the end!

Go on then.....

what was it, that stupid mistake ??

it is done! ;)

Test booked, 2 weeks to wait.

The mistake?

Well had just got onto a dual carriageway, caught up to traffic in the inside lane....BUT forgot to turn off my right indicator. At which point a 4x4 came speeding up the fast lane and slammed on his brakes and flashed me to pull out (was being helpful). Got a serious fault!!, but understand why.

Not good but you can safely say i won't make the same mistake again!

i paid £599 but was fortunate to have a grate instructor and a grate team of blokes

few of my m8s had hard time said got treated like nobodys so its good to go to the place an enquire and you get

to see the people your self good luck

For my direct access I paid £470.

This included 3 days training - 1 on a 125cc. 2 days on a Suzuki GE500 slingshot and my practicle test.

Failed the first time so the second time I had to pay £200 for a retest and a days training. Thankfully passed this time.

it is done! ;)

Test booked, 2 weeks to wait.

The mistake?

Well had just got onto a dual carriageway, caught up to traffic in the inside lane....BUT forgot to turn off my right indicator. At which point a 4x4 came speeding up the fast lane and slammed on his brakes and flashed me to pull out (was being helpful). Got a serious fault!!, but understand why.

Not good but you can safely say i won't make the same mistake again!

my bikes got auto cancel indicators

not bad for a 30 year old bike :P

the only training i did was ride the bike, ahh them were the days.................(laments back into slumber!!)

• 3 weeks later...

my bikes got auto cancel indicators

not bad for a 30 year old bike :P

the only training i did was ride the bike, ahh them were the days.................(laments back into slumber!!)

Think all bikes should have auto cancel indicators!!

Passed test at the 2nd time of asking....only 1 minor!! Now time to save for a new bike, fix up the DTR and get it sold!

Congratulations on the pass! Bet you're well chuffed ;)

I've been quoted about £380 for two days training and the test on the 3rd day. But, they recommended that we did a 2 hour (was nearly 3 in the end) assessment on 500cc for £50 to see what training we would need (did that on Sat past). Instructor reckoned we could get away with 1 day training if we could practise and master the U turn in our own time. Think we'll practise but still do 2 day training to be sure although it's nice to know that our post CBT riding isn't too far off the necessary standards.

I'm glad we didn't do the CBT/DAS all together because I'd be on a big bike without the experience of being restricted on a 125 for a while beforehand.