Elsie - advice/opinions

SRJ999
This post is 5842 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK folks; I've enrolled on an evening motorcycle maintenance course in order to exorcise my mechanical klutz demons. We start getting our hands dirty as of tonight.

Coincidentally, I saw a 1981 RD250LC up for sale this weekend. It's an ex-proddie racer being sold as a runner in need of work. The shop owner said that he is assured that it runs and he's turned it over but not fired it up. bodywork is good and the bike looks OK on first cursory glance. I know that the exhausts have been opened up and gutted but not of anything else that's been done to it as yet.

I was wondering whether it would be a relatively easy project and whether it would be worth starting on. I don't intend to put it on the road but turn it into a track bike. If I do it, I would take it to the college to strip and rebuild, as there are loads of facilities there.

The guy is after £500, no offers. Your thoughts appreciated, including any questions anyone thinks I should ask.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OK folks; I've enrolled on an evening motorcycle maintenance course in order to exorcise my mechanical klutz demons. We start getting our hands dirty as of tonight.

Coincidentally, I saw a 1981 RD250LC up for sale this weekend. It's an ex-proddie racer being sold as a runner in need of work. The shop owner said that he is assured that it runs and he's turned it over but not fired it up. bodywork is good and the bike looks OK on first cursory glance. I know that the exhausts have been opened up and gutted but not of anything else that's been done to it as yet.

I was wondering whether it would be a relatively easy project and whether it would be worth starting on. I don't intend to put it on the road but turn it into a track bike. If I do it, I would take it to the college to strip and rebuild, as there are loads of facilities there.

The guy is after £500, no offers. Your thoughts appreciated, including any questions anyone thinks I should ask.

Hi there, I cant help at all with your question but would like to know more about the course you are doing. I live in Winchester and have been thinking about doing something similar but have not found a course yet.

The course is run at South Kent College in Dover and is the nearest one to me. There are no such courses in Sussex and only this one in Kent. It's a 36 week course (one evening per week) and covers quite a wide series of topics including:

Motorcycle maintenance

Steering & suspension

Lighting & electrics

Sparked ignition systems

Wheels & tyres

Transmissions

Fuelling systems

Diagnostics

etc, etc.

It's a beginner's course but I can go on to do an intermediate and advanced if so desired. Cost would be an issue, of course.

Anyway; any takers on giving LC advice?

well a stroker is a good starting point for an amateur restorer i reckon i have doe 3 aircooleds now and have a 4th in the pipeline, the lc is a little more modern with water cooling etc but no horrible valves/cams/ etc. + spares are reasonably freely available and plentiful, aleks Lc forum is the place to go loads of helpful folks on their Norbo on there seems to stock loads of spares and is very reasonable, though steer clear of the backyard if you are of a nervous disposition

here is the link

lc forum

merv

Thanks for the comments. I've taken a look in the LC Forum, which has been really useful.

However, whilst it may just be me being a wuss, I've now seen the bike advertised on eBay. It's described as a non-runner, although it turns, sparks and has compression. The nervous in me asks, "Is it a money pit? Will my £500 be merely a drop in the ocean come completion?" but the heart says, "Go on; you know you want to. Just take your time."

I bought something like you are talking about a few years back now, worst mistake i ever made the bl''dy thing may as well have been a grenade missing the pin rolling around in my bank account.

If you want my opinion ex race bikes are exactly that because they can't cut it any more and every main part will be worn bodged or incomplete. If it turns has spark and cyl comp it prob means the crank seals are snotted, £kerching crank rebuild to START.

There are lots of not quite nearly classics, but save your wallet a lot of pain and get something thats tatty,taxed and tested and useable. Then you just have to turn it into a track bike. An SRX could be interesting, the Over racing versions of that were good for 140mph.

Sound thinking, Cynic. However, my mind was made up last night when the boiler went bang. LC or warm other half? I think I know which side my bread is buttered.

On the other hand, I spoke to my YPM friend who recommended I look for a 350 YPVS or TZR instead. Once I get the boiler sorted, I'll take some time and look for another machine. This all came about because I saw the bike and the price, both of which made me think "Oooooh......" Fatal error #1. Giving myself the time to properly mull it over has meant the money is there to sort the house first and I'll do some more (proper) research.

Thanks for the advice, everybody.

Trust me mate - It will be a money pit once you start! - consider new everything ! but it would be well worth it in the end - especially if u take ya time and do it right. If ya need any tech advice etc u could do worse than speaking to Albert at R.J motorcycles in Coalville, Leicestershire. He heads a nice little LC fan club and is well clued up on all things LC! (sorry, cant remember the phone number!) Best of luck mate. Do it !- you know it makes sense!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online