rd 400 engine number

claire
This post is 5774 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am looking to buy a rd400 f motor. Have spoken to a guy and he has one for sale but the engine number starts

1a3-66

I dont think this is correct.I thought it should be 1a3-33

What you guys think?

Cheers

Claire

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am looking to buy a rd400 f motor. Have spoken to a guy and he has one for sale but the engine number starts

1a3-66

What you guys think?

Cheers

Claire

Yup your are correct 1A3-66 sounds a bit fishy to me also if you look at the number it should be stamped in a serrated/grooved area not a smooth one if it is smooth the previous number has very likely been filed off

Merv

Yup your are correct 1A3-66 sounds a bit fishy to me also if you look at the number it should be stamped in a serrated/grooved area not a smooth one if it is smooth the previous number has very likely been filed off

Merv

Thanks Merv,

Thought so, i think i will wait for another one

Thanks again

Claire

1a3-66

What you guys think?

Cheers

Claire

Hi Claire,

1A3 is the modal prefix (in all frame & engine nos of the day) the digits afterwards are the production number

so one that starts 66 will be a late one as you state an F ... ( modal code 2R9) if the ignition stator is still on the motor it should be a CDI system. But dont forget that these motors are the best part of 30 yrs old another engine could be 'cattle trucked' (rhyming slang) and the money may be better spent on sorting the original engine.

Known bad points :-

Lab seal & centre mains

E Modal connections to the CDI .. makes um go backwards ... the guy I reversed into on Putney bridge was not impressed ! Fixed on F modal

Oil pump cable issue if incorrectly adjusted used to snap causing engine damage at high throttle openings (made loadsa cash out of that one also RD250/350/CS7/R3/R5)

Silly rubber joints between front pipe & silencer leaked & cost sheds to replace

Regards Jim

Mail 4 more info if needed

Thanks Merv,

Thought so, i think i will wait for another one

Thanks again

Claire

where are you in somerset claire ? we aircooledrdclub were thrashing our 400.s up the cheddar gorge back in may there were some piics of the half abandoned easter meet in CMM recently

Merv

where are you in somerset claire ? we aircooledrdclub were thrashing our 400.s up the cheddar gorge back in may there were some piics of the half abandoned easter meet in CMM recently

Merv

Not far from cheddar, Wells about 8 miles away.

Claire

Hi Claire,

1A3 is the modal prefix (in all frame & engine nos of the day) the digits afterwards are the production number

so one that starts 66 will be a late one as you state an F ... ( modal code 2R9) if the ignition stator is still on the motor it should be a CDI system. But dont forget that these motors are the best part of 30 yrs old another engine could be 'cattle trucked' (rhyming slang) and the money may be better spent on sorting the original engine.

Lab seal & centre mains

E Modal connections to the CDI .. makes um go backwards ... the guy I reversed into on Putney bridge was not impressed ! Fixed on F modal

Oil pump cable issue if incorrectly adjusted used to snap causing engine damage at high throttle openings (made loadsa cash out of that one also RD250/350/CS7/R3/R5)

Silly rubber joints between front pipe & silencer leaked & cost sheds to replace

Regards Jim

Hi Claire,

Lab seal & centre mains

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online