xs400, only getting 1st gear

BlindSight
This post is 5790 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

so my 1990 xs400 is running ok now (still need to clean the carbs and fx the electrical problem)...any ideas why it wont shif into anything but 1st and neutral? Should I just assume its the tranny and going to be an expensive fix? Suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

so my 1990 xs400 is running ok now (still need to clean the carbs and fx the electrical problem)...any ideas why it wont shif into anything but 1st and neutral? Should I just assume its the tranny and going to be an expensive fix? Suggestions?

Are you trying to shift while the bike is running? Have it up on the center stand so the rear wheel can spin freely, and try to run it though the gears (letting the clutch out between gears). Is there any clutch drag? Put the bike into 1st gear, keep the clutch in, and see if the rear wheel spins on its own.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online