latest resto

mervin
This post is 5850 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well i have finally finished this mot,d and running great another RD lives again after 22 years in a garage in cornwall

354279545f4a3f5824e8bc000965cb24ac967588b552c6e4af4e8121365a6b57fc7376da.jpg

77268857cbd63d19c03e40d75613a4aaae89b6ec8a5241c00e0e46f621e704ea05e34237.jpg

all 90 odd pics from resto here

RD 250 restoration

looking good - very good indeed - it would have been rude not to !!

now i can see the pikkies,

very nice Merv hope you didn't have to displace many fauna from the bike as it was restored?

drewpy

Did you look at the link to the album drewps

Merv

yea! A lot to look at, I see you did your own silver painting. did you use cans?

Looks like powder coating on the frame and PJ1 satin on the engine cases?

can't beat wire wheels on a bike, can't belive that they were seen as a cheap wheel a few years back.

All you got to do is choose which to ride next Merv!!, when the sun makes an appearance!!

yea! A lot to look at, I see you did your own silver painting. did you use cans?

Looks like powder coating on the frame and PJ1 satin on the engine cases?

can't beat wire wheels on a bike, can't belive that they were seen as a cheap wheel a few years back.

All you got to do is choose which to ride next Merv!!, when the sun makes an appearance!!

Did the bodywork myself not perfect but good enough for me, powdercoated frame/swingarm, casings,top yoke powdercoated in semi gloss black in fact all the bits in the picture on the bench had just come back from the coaters. £135 the lot including another set of cases, engine on original bore fitted new genuine pistons as rings were grown in, stripped completely new seals fitted heads barrels painted in PJ1 switches painted and new decals from Zediter ebay,new rear shocks, handlebars and about £300 worth of other odds n sods from yambits, Pirreli tyres lying around in shed, wire wheels courtesy of Armin Bahr germany, powdercoated brake calipers new seals and stainless pistons fitted bought from Nick Chambers along with stainless rear engine mounts, loads of stainless bolts from various suppliers stainless rear tank washers from Links engineering, back in 78 ally wheels cost another £25 on identical the bike i bought then that was a weeks wages or more then, the other silver Rd 250 has been sold to a local 17 year old that just sold his Fissy, too fund this resto

merv

Nice Work there Merv!! B)

these days.....the only 2smoke exposure I get is when I'm spanner-twirlin' on my 3cyl Outboard ;) ....

Hi Scott

i got a bit of 2 stroke up my nose yesterday felling trees for a neighbour with the chainsaw,also got covered in sawdust , 10 wheel borrow loads of logs to boot,and the strimmer/brushcutter helps, i love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning. but dont ride the RD,s as much as i should now i have the 650 h*nda

Merv

Did the bodywork myself not perfect but good enough for me, powdercoated frame/swingarm, casings,top yoke powdercoated in semi gloss black in fact all the bits in the picture on the bench had just come back from the coaters. £135 the lot including another set of cases, engine on original bore fitted new genuine pistons as rings were grown in, stripped completely new seals fitted heads barrels painted in PJ1 switches painted and new decals from Zediter ebay,new rear shocks, handlebars and about £300 worth of other odds n sods from yambits, Pirreli tyres lying around in shed, wire wheels courtesy of Armin Bahr germany, powdercoated brake calipers new seals and stainless pistons fitted bought from Nick Chambers along with stainless rear engine mounts, loads of stainless bolts from various suppliers stainless rear tank washers from Links engineering, back in 78 ally wheels cost another £25 on identical the bike i bought then that was a weeks wages or more then, the other silver Rd 250 has been sold to a local 17 year old that just sold his Fissy, too fund this resto

merv

£135 for powder coating is cheep!!

I didn't use stainless for engine and brake stuff as I've read it can shatter under load (not by how much though) but used stainless on all the engine. Who is this Armin Bahr? does he/she supply rims and spokes or both? i used "central wheels"which cost a bomb and I'm wanting new spokes for my flat tracker project ( i bet they are the same as RD)

drewpy

Armin is a guy i have bought several parts from off ebay the wheels are fair condition not brilliant, now if he gats a few nice bits i get get first choice before on goes on ebay, He actually has a shop selling curtains etc, Stainless pistons in the brake calipers the bolts that attach the calipers to the forks etc are still steel, although i did use stainless to attach the discs to wheels but the stresses are far below the breaking strain of stainless i am told, and friction plays a big part in holding things like brake discs, let any bolt come loose and it will soon wear through on a moving part. I am thinking of having the grotty set of wheels that came with it done in stainless/rims spokes when i can afford it, most likely fit em too the red 400 though

Merv

Armin is a guy i have bought several parts from off ebay the wheels are fair condition not brilliant, now if he gats a few nice bits i get get first choice before on goes on ebay, He actually has a shop selling curtains etc, Stainless pistons in the brake calipers the bolts that attach the calipers to the forks etc are still steel, although i did use stainless to attach the discs to wheels but the stresses are far below the breaking strain of stainless i am told, and friction plays a big part in holding things like brake discs, let any bolt come loose and it will soon wear through on a moving part. I am thinking of having the grotty set of wheels that came with it done in stainless/rims spokes when i can afford it, most likely fit em too the red 400 though

Merv

that figures, I did a search before posting and all i got was curtains!!

I fixed my disks with stainless, just fixed any stressed mounting with steel as that stetches better when tightened and isn't as brittle as stainless.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online