Xj600 pre divi poor performance? help

shaunebop
This post is 5004 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guy's

Recently purchased an xj600 it's a 1993 model put pre diversion,anyway was wondering what sort of performance i should be getting from the bike as it seems more like a 125 than a 600,pulls ok upto about 6000 but then takes ages to rev much higher and 6th gear is just a waste of time,i can only get about 85 -90 out of it if i really cane it!

Is this normal for this model of bike as i know there not ment to be that quick by todays standards but just doesn't seem right to me(frieghtened to even overtake the artics lol)

Any help would be great

Thanks shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Has it been sat and not used for a while, if it has it could need carbs cleaning, but i would first replace plugs see if that improves it. If you have a multimeter you could check plug caps to see if they are still in spec, i had similar problem to you replaced plugs and the caps showed 12k plus resistance so i replaced them aswell, it now flies to the redline when asked. As for performance my XJ650 just gets into its stride at 6k+ so i would think the 600 would be the same.

Has it been sat and not used for a while, if it has it could need carbs cleaning, but i would first replace plugs see if that improves it. If you have a multimeter you could check plug caps to see if they are still in spec, i had similar problem to you replaced plugs and the caps showed 12k plus resistance so i replaced them aswell, it now flies to the redline when asked. As for performance my XJ650 just gets into its stride at 6k+ so i would think the 600 would be the same.

Cheer's dave i have 10k threw 2 of the caps and none threw the other 2,i take it i need to replace the 2 with 10 k resistance?

Do you know what the resistancy for the coils should be?and also does anybody know what the original jet sizes for the carbs were as the guy who had it before me has put pots on it and not sure weather he has jetted it up for them.

Cheer's again guys

plug cap resistance should be 10k according to manual

ignition coil primary resistance 1.8 - 2.2 ohms

secondary resistance 9600 - 14400 ohms

cheer's,do you know if the caps that have no resistancey are duff then?

I would have thought the less resistancy the better it would perform?or am i missing something here?

Cheers,shaun

Dont really know, but my thoughts on it are if it should have resistance and it has none or or way to high, then something is breaking down and they need replacing. The resister will be in the path of the current and maybe if its breaking down its ok at low revs but starts to play up as the revs get higher, i know when i replaced mine the difference was amazing, it could possibly be you are having the same problem. The resistance on mine should have been 5k and it was showing 12k on the meter.

• 11 months later...

Hi guy's

Recently purchased an xj600 it's a 1993 model put pre diversion,anyway was wondering what sort of performance i should be getting from the bike as it seems more like a 125 than a 600,pulls ok upto about 6000 but then takes ages to rev much higher and 6th gear is just a waste of time,i can only get about 85 -90 out of it if i really cane it!

Is this normal for this model of bike as i know there not ment to be that quick by todays standards but just doesn't seem right to me(frieghtened to even overtake the artics lol)

Any help would be great

Thanks shaun

If your XJ is in good heath it should break the ton easily mate ( I saw 120 before I bottled out - on a private road obviously- lol)

if you have checked the ignition - then check the following ...

Air Filter - if its not reving out thats the first place to look - dirty air filter equals piss poor performance

fuel filter on fuel tap - is this blocked - again fuel starvation equals piss poor performace

Carbs - are they in balance - does the engine feel rough when revved - it shouldn't the XJ series are silky smooth

hope this helps

cheers

JD :D

• 1 year later...

Hi there

I too am having an issue with my pre-diversion xj600. Checked the plug caps today and found all at 9k apart from number 3 which was 70K!!!

The symptoms were the same, struggling to get past 85-90mph. Changed the cap today and will try it again soon to see if it has improved but thanks to Dave C for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I use my xj600 H-reg to do my 51 mile trek to work every day half of it on dual carrageway and mine sits at 85ish all the way and if i need more its there ! once past 6k rpm ish it flys, it was running a bit rough last month so cleaned out all the carbs (full of crud) had them balanced and wow what a difference, when these are running right they do fly :D

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update to this issue:

Changed plugs and all caps- no better

Cleaned carbs first time- no better. A plug chop showed the bike to be running lean

Cleaned carbs again and blew out using compressed air. Also removed and resealed all inlet rubbers- Much better, full power restored!!!

So, either an air leak on the inlet rubbers or carbs blocked or combination of the 2. Result being the bike is now flying :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online