Help with steering head bearings

TazR6
This post is 5948 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have removed the roller bearing races and cups that were on the bike. They came out the headstock with little persuasion, and new ones went in with little drama.

Im stuck though.

This image is of the fork assembly as it was removed from the bike, minus the bearing (roller). I assume the bit remainling on the centre shaft is the race (the pic is looking at it from the back) and that it has to be removed?

What is the best way to remove it?

ABCD0019.jpg

What do I do with the seal that is on this pic?

ABCD0018-2.jpg

Does it go back on?

I should add that the replacements are tapered roller bearings.

Many thanks indeed for any and all help. It is appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have removed the roller bearing races and cups that were on the bike. They came out the headstock with little persuasion, and new ones went in with little drama.

Im stuck though.

This image is of the fork assembly as it was removed from the bike, minus the bearing (roller). I assume the bit remainling on the centre shaft is the race (the pic is looking at it from the back) and that it has to be removed?

What is the best way to remove it?

ABCD0019.jpg

What do I do with the seal that is on this pic?

ABCD0018-2.jpg

Does it go back on?

I should add that the replacements are tapered roller bearings.

Many thanks indeed for any and all help. It is appreciated.

look around the bottom of the race /stem you can see the join

Take a small cold chisel (not a woodwork one) and tap it into the joint it should gradually part from the fork stem once it starts too move you can then lever it up, be careful not too damage the surface of the stem if you do clean it up before you try to fit the new bearing, and do not forget to put the seal in

Merv

look around the bottom of the race /stem you can see the join

Take a small cold chisel (not a woodwork one) and tap it into the joint it should gradually part from the fork stem once it starts too move you can then lever it up, be careful not too damage the surface of the stem if you do clean it up before you try to fit the new bearing, and do not forget to put the seal in

Merv

I sorted getting the lower cup off. Thanks for that.

I messed up the new bearing though trying to drift it on. I slipped and wrecked the cage lol, so I have to get another one. Bugga.

I think my best bet is a tube just bigger than the shaft, that fits nice against the inner race of the taper roller bearing and hit that.

The old one was mega tight to get off, so I assume the new one will be as much of a pig. So, it is worth chilling the stem and heating the bearing? Will any damage be cause to the bearing by hotting it up?

Any idea what the outer diameter of the steering stem is so I can try and find a piece of suitable tubing to use to drift it on with?

Ideally, i could do with a press to slide it on, but sadly I dont have one lol.

The seal will not go back on. The new bearings are a different size to the ball bearings that were on. So, Im just going to pack well with grease. Is that an ok thing to do?

you might try this, section of thread rods , assorted washers and old race used in place of the drift, I heated the head a little and put the bearings in the freezer overnight. then used thread rod to clamp it in.

0703310004.jpg

oops also in pic is a bmx bike peg with race bolted to it to use to start bearing in place, its to hard to use a drift more to align before clamp is used.

I used a plastic waste pipe as its just the right size, keep the seal on the bottom. and drift the bearing into place after warming up.

I will try the plastic pipe tip, thanks. Would have not thought of that in a month of sundays.

Im not sure what the threaded rod and washer method is about. I cant visualize it. I have got my thick head on lol.

So, the seal that was in place for the ball bearings is suitable for using with teh tapered bearing?

I assume it will go "lip" up?

Ahh. That is a good informative page. Thank you.

The threaded bar to make a press that you suggested, is to get the bearing cups into the frame. I was able to do that. Im struggling to get the bearing over the steering stem on the triple clamp.

Im sure I know someone with a hydraulic press, so I am going to get my thinking cap on today.

you might try this, section of thread rods , assorted washers and old race used in place of the drift, I heated the head a little and put the bearings in the freezer overnight. then used thread rod to clamp it in.

0703310004.jpg

surely that is the wrong way round you ned to heat bearing and cool head as metal expands with heat

merv

If the bearing is going into a housing, heat the housing.

If the bearing is going onto a shft, chill the shaft.

LOL yup, I suck at explaining I better stick to links.

• Who's Online (See full list)