Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Tony Cairoli wins European Championship Supercross (SX)

Antonio Cairoli claimed his second big international prize in his young career by sealing the 2006 SX UEM championship. The 2005 MX2 world champion scored enough points at the 24th Fiat Supercross of Genova event held last weekend to claim the SX title. Earlier in the year Cairoli already won the Italian MX2 championship and finished as vice world champion in the MX2-GP class, making 2006 an almost prefect season. After Cairoli won the SX race in Milan earlier this year he succeeded in beating rival Renet in Geneva for the final race of the three round SX UEM championship. The victory even came a little unexpected as it was never a main goal of the Sicilian to challenge for SX glory; "Honestly I never considered this championship to be one of my main goals, I don’t even do special training for indoor SX races. But after competing at Bercy (Paris) and Milan I discovered that I was able to compete with the top European riders. I won the first round at Milan and prior to this last race I was only five points behind leader Renet, so I thought I’d better go to Genova!” said Cairoli. “It was a good race for me, I was fastest in most of the sessions and won the qualification and semifinal. At SX events the public is always fantastic and they really supported me, they were a real motivator! In the final I was away quickest, but same as in Bercy, Grant passed me soon after the start. I couldn’t really catch him. With Alessi I believe I could have fought until the end for the second place, but I made a small mistake and crashed when I hit a bale with my handlebar. I was able to defend third position and fortunately Degli Espositi passed Renet which handed me the title. To win this title is a real pleasure because I’m a big Supercross fan. I believe I can still improve my style and riding, but to carry the title of European SX Champion is not bad for now. I really want to thank the public for supporting me and of course my team who made a perfect supercross setting to my YZ250F. My team boss Claudio de Carli is now deciding what will be the next race to compete in, but first we take a very welcome break in December.”

Results Genova: 1 Grant , 2 Alessi, 3 Cairoli, 4 Mills, 5 Degli Espositi, 6 Renet, 7 Pellegrini, 8 Izoird, 9 Meo, 10 Dami

Classification EC: 1 Cairoli 41, 2 Renet 41, 3 Mills 33, 4 Grant 25, 5 Aubin 25 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.