Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Steve Martin to stand in for Kevin Curtain

Following on from the injuries Kevin Curtain sustained at Valencia, fellow Australian Steve Martin will ride as a replacement in the Yamaha World Supersport Team at this weekend’s Assen round.

Martin has ridden for the DFX Honda Team for the first four rounds of the World Superbike Championship this season, but the team has since informed him that they are unable to give him the opportunity to ride in Assen. The Yamaha World Supersport Team has snapped up this highly experienced rider to maintain the pace and work alongside Broc Parkes while Kevin recovers from his injuries.    Curtain suffered ripped muscles and a large cut in his right thigh when his bike hit him during a race incident at the Spanish round less than two weeks ago. He has certain limitations in muscle movement as well as hip pain and has flown home to Australia to rest and recover. It is hoped that he will be back with the Yamaha World Supersport Team at the next round at Monza on 13th May.

Steve Martin has a proven track record with over ten years experience in the World Superbike Championship including 168 race starts, 3 pole positions and 5 podium finishes. He knows the Assen circuit well and is looking forward to a positive weekend at Assen.

Steve says, “I can’t believe the way this all came about, but when Kevin also asked me personally to fill in for him I was in shock as it was the last phone call I was expecting. No one likes to fill in under these circumstances, especially when it’s one of your mates, but I will do the best job possible to help Kevin, Broc and the Yamaha World Supersport Team.

I know the team and they are very professional so I’m sure they will make it as easy as possible for me in every way. Already from the small dealings I have had with them I feel more settled than I have all year.”

Martin’s career highlights include winning the Australian Superbike Championship in 1999 and he has a wealth of experience across many types of manufacturers and championships. Prior to Pirelli becoming the single tyre supplier to the WSB/ WSS championships Steve had been a development rider for them for several years. With his versatile background Steve is expected to adapt swiftly to the Yamaha YZF-R6.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.