Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Rossi Completes Malaysian Test with Impressive Race Simulation

Valentino Rossi rounded off a successful three days in Malaysia with another impressive day's testing at the Sepang International Circuit today. The high point of the Italian's day was his race simulation, when he lapped consistently under lap record pace and improved on his time from the January test, as well as on last year's race time. Rossi was pleased both with the performance of his 2008-spec M1 and with his Bridgestone tyres, today's results indicating that he and his team are on target with their pre-season development. His best time of 2'01.190 was set on a qualifying tyre on his 23rd of 48 laps, putting him second in the standings behind team-mate Jorge Lorenzo. The Fiat Yamaha Team will reconvene closer to home at Jerez in Spain on Saturday, 16th February for the three-day Official MotoGP Test, the penultimate test before the season kicks off in March. Valentino Rossi - Position: 2nd Time: 2'01.190 Laps: 48 "I'm really happy about today's race simulation and about the overall balance of this test. Everything has gone well and the race-simulation was an improvement on the one from last time; this is the real test of where we are. We've worked on various different items in many different areas but we've had positive feedback throughout. It's given me the chance to better understand the tyres and today's simulation has given me even more information about how they behave. We've worked more at this test on the set-up of the bike to enable it to work as well as possible with the new tyres and we've also continued to work on the new engine, which will be the standard one for this season, and on the electronics. We've still got a lot to do but so far everything is progressing well. Now we're looking forward to Jerez and seeing where we are at a new track alongside all of our competitors." Davide Brivio - Team Manager "This test has been very positive; all the hard work that the Yamaha engineers have put in over the winter is now showing in our good results so I would like to say a big thank you to all of them. We've seen improvement in all the different areas in which we've worked in this week and so we hope that these results will help us to create a competitive package. Today's race simulation was good and an improvement on January, plus the individual lap times within it were fast and consistent. This is a very important indication of our level. We've only done 50% of our pre-season testing, we have two more to go before the first race but we hope to continue improving like this and arrive at the first race in good shape and ready to commence our challenge."

Lorenzo on Top Despite Struggles on Final Day in Sepang Jorge Lorenzo finished his second test of the year in positive fashion today with an impressive lap on qualifying tyres. The young Fiat Yamaha Team rider had a somewhat difficult test overall and was unhappy not to improve in the way he had expected to, but his performance on Michelin qualifying rubber at the end of the day gave him some cause for cheer. Like his team-mate Valentino Rossi, Lorenzo had planned to complete a race simulation today but he abandoned it after a few laps when he found he was lacking pace, deciding instead to spend the remainder of the day working on set-up and tyre testing with Michelin. His time of 2'00.705, set on the 72nd of 73 laps, was an improvement on his best qualifying time from the January test and good enough to leave him at the top of the day's time sheets, with Rossi in second after a best lap of 2'01.190. Lorenzo and his team will now enjoy a short break before the Official MotoGP Tests commence at Jerez in southern Spain on 16th February. Jorge Lorenzo - Position: 1st Time: 2'00.705 Laps: 73 "This has been a difficult test for us but not completely negative. The major problem is still the front end going into the corners; the bike is not stable and we also have a bit of vibration. We've tried many different settings but we haven't been able to improve as much as we expected, so this means that I still need to adapt my riding style in some areas. Today I started to do a race simulation but I came in again because my pace was not good enough. At the end of the day we tried some qualifying tyres and I was able to improve on my time from the last test, so that's positive. I'm not worried about what's happened here; I've had bad days before and I have confidence that we will find the right way forward. I am looking forward to going to a different track now and seeing what happens there." Daniele Romagnoli - Team Manager "After the January test, when we had quite a good pace, we hoped to improve again this time but unfortunately this hasn't been the case. We've tried many different things with the chassis and the suspension settings but we still have some problems going into the hard braking areas. It's been a useful test despite this however because we've had the chance to refine some mapping, improve the cooling system with the new fairing and to find some new tyres with Michelin. Jorge has worked very hard this week; the hot weather makes his job more difficult and of course he's not used to so much winter testing outside of Europe like this, so well done to him. Now everyone has a short rest and hopefully we'll start in better shape in Jerez." Test Results 1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2'00.705 2. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2'01.190 3. Shinya Nakano (JPN) Honda Gresini 2'02.135 4. Alex De Angelis (RSM) Honda Gresini 2'02.194 5. Olivier Jacque (FRA) Kawasaki Racing 2'03.021 6. Tamaki Serizawa (JPN) Kawasaki Racing 2'03.623 7. Yamaha Test Rider (-) Yamaha Test Team 2'06.000 8. Yamaha Test Rider (-) Yamaha Test Team 2'06.040 Sepang: Lap Record Casey Stoner (Ducati) 2007, 2'02.108 Sepang: Best Lap Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 2006, 2'00.605

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.