Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Rossi back to his best at Brno

Valentino Rossi got back to dominant form today as the MotoGP World Championship returned to action in the Czech Republic following a brief summer break. The Italian was able to bounce back from his Laguna Seca disappointment with a series of fast laps at the Brno circuit after quickly finding a good base set-up for his YZR-M1 machine. After lapping second quickest in the morning practice, just 0.047 seconds behind series leader Nicky Hayden (Honda), Rossi ended the day on top of the time sheets after improving by almost two seconds in the afternoon - with only Randy De Puniet (Kawasaki) able to lap within 0.5 seconds of his best effort.

It was also a positive first day for Rossi's Camel Yamaha team-mate Colin Edwards, who started the day with one of his two bikes configured with the same settings used by Rossi on his way to victory and the circuit lap record last season. The information immediately put the Texan on the front foot and, after reacquainting himself with the YZR-M1 machine following his recent exertions on a Superbike in the Suzuka 8 hour race, he was also able to pick up the pace in the afternoon and lapped fourth fastest.

Valentino Rossi (1st - 1'57.871; 34 laps) "Today was very positive for me because the bike worked well from the start and then we tried some things that improved it even more. We have experimented with some new suspension settings to help the tyres work properly, especially the rear, and they had the effect we wanted so I am happy about this. This year has been difficult because we have struggled so much in practice and then I have ended up on the third or fourth row of the grid, so I am pleased to start off like this. We also tried a qualifying tyre today, in order to give us more of an idea about what we need to adjust tomorrow in the afternoon session in order to challenge for a place at the front of the grid. This is really why I am in first place but anyway the race setting is also good and I was second fastest in the morning practice too so we know we have the pace. Tomorrow we need to continue working like this."

Colin Edwards (4th - 1'58.851; 38 laps) "It's strange that after all the bad luck we've had this season we should roll up here at Brno and things suddenly seem to be turning around! We turned up here today and decided to start with two different settings - one based on what we found in the test last year and the other on Valentino's 2005 race setting. I have changed my riding style since then so I went out and tried both this morning and basically Valentino's setting worked and mine didn't! I felt really comfortable with that so we went with it in the afternoon and just continued making small modifications so that it suits me better. It's early days yet but it is important to get a good start and also a relief to know that we are onto something good. Hopefully the good work can continue tomorrow for both Valentino and I."

Davide Brivio - Camel Yamaha Team Director "It was a good start to the weekend and just what we were looking for after the engineers worked so hard during the summer. This is only the first day and we all know the important thing is to continue like this and make sure we are prepared for qualifying and the race but it is nice to have such good result so early in the weekend. It looks like the bike has responded well for both Valentino and Colin so let's hope it continues to do so. Today has definitely given the team a boost and there is a very positive spirit here but it is still early days."

Checa Czechs in to top ten at Brno

After the opening two practice sessions for Sunday's Gauloises Grand Prix of the Czech Republic at the undulating Brno circuit, Carlos Checa on his Tech 3 Yamaha M1 clocked the seventh fastest time as fellow Yamaha rider and world champion Valentino Rossi claimed the top spot. Fresh from the summer break, Carlos was among the leaders from the outset and after the morning's opening stanza was just over a second off the pace. This afternoon he continued the progress to post a quicker time than series leader Nicky Hayden (Honda) and is confident that changes overnight will improve his lap times even further. His teammate, James Ellison time was better than his 17th position indicated as his fastest lap was completed right at the end of the session but mysteriously was not included in the official lap times. As such, James is confident that he can move up the pack and hopefully secure his best grid position of the year in tomorrow's solitary qualifying session

Carlos Checa (7th, 1'59.254, 45 laps) "This morning we had a little bit of trouble testing a few tyres that we thought would work quite well but they didn't. Then we found something in a better direction and this afternoon we started working with the tyres giving up better support and better grip. At this stage it seems we have good endurance. The grip level when the tyres have average wear is better than we expected so maybe we might go with a softer compound. So far the direction of the bike and tyres is quite clear. Our lap times are good but like many we used qualifiers at the end. Basically with the race tyre we have been in the top ten for all of the practices and I can be quite consistent in my lap times. We'll try to improve different areas of the bike tomorrow with the grip of the tyres, turning and reduce the chatter. If we can do that I know that we will go quicker and get an even better lap time. "The grip of the track is ok - its amazing for an old track it is still looking pretty good. Some areas have a few bumps but considering how long since the asphalt has been down maybe they can show the Americans how to make asphalt! "The chatter has nothing to do with the track but under hard braking on the front and flicking it in. Compared to this morning we have reduced a lot and I think that with a few changes to the settings we will make more progress. After the break it is good to be back and this is a good start for the rest of the year."

James Ellison (17th2'02.426, 33 laps) "I don't know what happened to my fastest time because I passed the flag bang on time but they didn't count it. I don't know what happened. It came up on the computer but basically they erased the lap. It doesn't really worry me as it is only practice. We're just making steady progress with all the changes we have made. We have lowered it overall, softened the front and lifted the rear up again, just to get the balance right. It feels pretty good and, like Carlos, we have to eliminate the chatter but every tyre we are putting in it is getting less and less. With the qualifier it came back a bit but that's because you have better grip, you're pushing it harder and have more confidence braking later and things like that. Now we have to run those times on race tyres. We will be able to do it- I know that - because all the changes have been going in a positive direction. I reckon I can take at least a couple of seconds off because I did it last year on race tyres. That's the frustrating thing about it because I know I can do it and I'm on a much better bike than last year. You don't come back to a circuit 12 months later on a much superior bike and go slower so I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Herve Poncharal - Tech 3 Yamaha Team Director It's good to be back after the summer break. I think everyone was looking forward to the holiday but after two weeks off we all wanted to go racing again. We are happy to be here as it is always a good GP in the middle of August. Our two riders stayed in the US after the GP to work on their fitness and they are in good shape. While we had a rest, Dunlop certainly didn't as after our good result in America, they have brought a new batch of tyres along for the weekend and first indications are that they are again an improvement on what we were using recently. For the first day of the second part of the season we have done a lot of consistent laps and we are happy so far. Every team has been testing qualifying tyres this afternoon and I think that Dunlop have made some improvements in the qualifying tyres as well because both Carlos and James seem quite happy with them although, James's fastest lap time wasn't recorded because something happened to his time when the flag came out. His time is over a second quicker than was recorded. We have to wait and see what tomorrow may bring but at this stage I feel we are in a good shape for the race.

Circuit Length: 5403 Temp: 27 Weather: Dry     2006 MotoGP Brno 18/08/2006 Free Practice Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Total Time 1 Valentino Rossi Yamaha ITA 1'57.871 2 Randy De Puniet Kawasaki FRA 1'58.028 3 Loris Capirossi Ducati ITA 1'58.470 4 Colin Edwards Yamaha USA 1'58.851 5 Kenny Roberts Team Robert KR USA 1'59.119 6 Shinya Nakano Kawasaki JPN 1'59.240 7 Carlos Checa Yamaha ESP 1'59.254 8 Daniel Pedrosa Honda ESP 1'59.258 9 Marco Melandri Honda ITA 1'59.313 10 John Hopkins Suzuki USA 1'59.406 11 Nicky Hayden Honda USA 1'59.515 12 Casey Stoner Honda AUS 1'59.607 13 Makato Tamada Honda JPN 1'59.919 14 Toni Elias Honda ESP 1'59.995 15 Alex Hofmann Ducati GER 2'0.507 17 James Ellison Yamaha GBR 2'2.426

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.