Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Reed takes brave 12th in Detroit after practice spill

Yamaha's Chad Reed defied chest and back pain to score 12th position in Detroit for the fourteenth round of the 2008 Monster Energy AMA Supercross championship last weekend. The Australian crashed heavily in practice and had to visit hospital prior to being released to take his slot in the gate for the main event at Ford Field. Reed used his AMA provisional 'joker' (that enables riders in the top ten of the standings to miss one qualification and still be eligible to compete) after his accident that saw a diagnosis of a fractured scapula (shoulder blade), and likely some lung bruising among other small ailments. The 25 year old was coughing up blood at one point but was determined not to miss the race. Gingerly placing his YZ450F - on which he has taken eight victories this season - into the gate, further misfortune struck the series leader when he went down with a gaggle of other riders on the first corner. From that moment Reed looked to salvage what he could by working his way through the pack to claim 12th and lose just 11 points to main title rival Kevin Windham. "I just put my head down and went for it; I tried to be the best lapper out there," Reed commented. "I can't believe I crashed in the first turn. That's unbelievable. To feel the way I do, crash in the first turn and come back to 12th, this is a win right here. If we're standing in Vegas and we're the champions, this is the one that got it done." "I've been here before," he added. "With a 27-point lead, I'm not going to just stand and watch it go. I've always been able to go out there and grit my teeth, but this was possibly the worst race of my life. I spent four hours in the hospital, and I was scared for my life, to be honest. I've never coughed up so much blood in all my life. I'm happy to be here." Reed now holds an advantage of 16 points over Windham. There will be precious little time for the former champion to recover however with the final three rounds in St Louis, Seattle and Las Vegas taking place in the next three weeks. It is unlikely that AMA Motocross champion Grant Langston will make a return to supercross before the end of the season. The South African had a retinal problem that has kept him on the sidelines for most of the campaign and he is now looking towards a defence of his outdoor crown next month. Josh Hill was fourth and is the second highest Yamaha rider in the standings. The Detroit event was only the fourth race from fourteen in which a YZ450F has not made the top three. In the Lites division Ryan Morais was able to obtain his best finish of the year so far with second place. Also in the United States, Yamaha held a high profile at the Moto X World Championships in San Diego. YZ machinery ruled Supermoto X (Mark Burkhart), Speed and Style (Nate Adams), Moto X Racing (Broc Hepler) and Freestyle (Nate Adams) competitions. Race 1 - 20 Laps Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Total Time 1, David D Millsaps, Honda, USA, 17'0.620 2, Tim Ferry, Kawasaki, USA, 0'2.267 3, Kevin Windham, Honda, USA, 0'12.172 4, Josh Hill, Yamaha, USA, 0'24.752 5, Andrew Short, Honda, USA, 0'27.848 6, Travis Preston, Kawasaki, USA, 0'49.485 7, David Vuillemin, Suzuki, FRA, 0'49.795 8, Charles Summey, Yamaha, USA, -1 Laps 9, Heath Voss, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 10, Jason Thomas, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 11, Kelly Smith, Kawasaki, USA, -1 Laps 12, Chad Reed, Yamaha, AUS, -1 Laps 13, Nathan Ramsey, Yamaha, USA, -1 Laps 14, Ryan Clark, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 15, Eric Sorby, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 16, Keith Johnson, Yamaha, USA, -1 Laps 17, Nicholas Wey, KTM, USA, -1 Laps 18, Paul Carpenter, Honda, USA, -2 Laps 19, Shaun Skinner, Honda, USA, -2 Laps 20, Jacob Marsack, Honda, USA, -3 Laps Rider Standings 12/04/2008 Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Points 1, Chad Reed, Yamaha, AUS, 296 2, Kevin Windham, Honda, USA, 280 3, David D Millsaps, Honda, USA, 229 4, Andrew Short, Honda, USA, 221 5, Josh Hill, Yamaha, USA, 191 6, Tim Ferry, Kawasaki, USA, 189 7, Nathan Ramsey, Yamaha, USA, 155 8, David Vuillemin, Suzuki, FRA, 137 9, Paul Carpenter, Honda, USA, 122 10, Nicholas Wey, KTM, USA, 121 11, Charles Summey, Yamaha, USA, 120 12, Heath Voss, Honda, USA, 101 13, Travis Preston, Kawasaki, USA, 81 14, Eric Sorby, Honda, USA, 76 15, Jason Thomas, Honda, USA, 74 23, Grant Langston, Yamaha, RSA, 38 38, Broc Hepler, Yamaha, USA, 3 Manufacturer Standings 12/04/2008 Pos., Manufacturer, Points 1, Yamaha, 317 2, Honda, 302 3, Kawasaki, 251 4, Suzuki, 186 5, KTM, 121

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.