Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Reed takes 10 points to season finale, Lawrence Lites champion

A title-worthy performance from Yamaha's San Manuel rider Chad Reed, after pulling back from a first corner crash to finish second, at Qwest Field in Seattle for the penultimate round of the 2008 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series (also an FIM World Championship) means that the Australian carries a ten point advantage to Las Vegas in search of his second crown next week. Yamaha of Troy's Jason Lawrence claimed the West Region Lites series with his YZ250F. Reed embarked on one of his finest rides this season - a term that has seen him net eight victories and twelve podiums - rallying from last position to exchanges some brusque moves with Andrew Short on the final lap and obtained the runner-up slot for the second week in succession. The 25 year old was still not at optimum fitness with his YZ450F after suffering a broken shoulder during practice in Detroit. "I don't know what's going on with my crashing, but I ran into the back of Millsaps and went down, and I just tried to come through and be smart. This result feels good; I'd rather take a 10-point lead into the final than be 10 points down," said the former champion who has set records this season and had led the title chase since the first round in Los Angeles. "I knew the start was going to be really important tonight, and I didn't think it was going to be possible to come through and get back up on top. There's another race, and another opportunity, and we minimized the points-loss as much as possible," he continued. "This title is going to be a lot of fun in Vegas, and I want to thank Shorty - that was a nice little move at end there, and it ripped the bars right out of my hands. We fought back and got him in the last corner, so that felt pretty good." "It's going to be fun in Vegas," he added. "The opposition has taken this title to a whole new level, and I can't wait." Reed holds ten points over Seattle victor Kevin Windham. Even if his rival wins in Nevada then he needs only to finish sixth to wrap up the championship. Yamaha had cause to celebrate when Jason Lawrence placed a blue machine on the second step of the podium the same evening and in doing so picked up his first West Coast Lies crown. The teenager managed the feat with six podium results, including three wins from a total of eight events. He was joined on the podium by Broc Hepler in third place. "I'm happy about that. That was our goal," the champ said of his success. "I would've never thought that I would win the supercross title before I would win the outdoor title, but maybe I'll get them both in one year!" The seventeenth and final round (including the East-West Lites Shootout) will take place at the Sam Boyd stadium this weekend. Race 1 - 20 Laps Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Total Time 1, Kevin Windham, Honda, USA, 17'45.680 2, Chad Reed, Yamaha, AUS, 0'2.374 3, Andrew Short, Honda, USA, 0'3.792 4, David D Millsaps, Honda, USA, 0'7.761 5, Tim Ferry, Kawasaki, USA, 0'8.982 6, Josh Grant, Honda, USA, 0'19.748 7, Josh Hill, Yamaha, USA, 0'33.303 8, Nicholas Wey, KTM, USA, 0'34.478 9, David Vuillemin, Suzuki, FRA, 0'36.645 10, Heath Voss, Honda, USA, 0'40.270 11, Charles Summey, Yamaha, USA, 0'53.909 12, Ryan Clark, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 13, Jeff Gibson, Kawasaki, USA, -1 Laps 14, Jason Thomas, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 15, Manuel Gomes Rivas, Kawasaki, ESP, -1 Laps 16, Chris Gosselaar, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 17, Tyler Bright, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 18, Travis Preston, Kawasaki, USA, -2 Laps 19, Dusty Klatt, Kawasaki, USA, -2 Laps 20, Bryan K Johnson, Honda, USA, -3 Laps Rider Standings 26/04/2008 Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Points 1, Chad Reed, Yamaha, AUS, 340 2, Kevin Windham, Honda, USA, 330 3, David D Millsaps, Honda, USA, 262 4, Andrew Short, Honda, USA, 261 5, Josh Hill, Yamaha, USA, 210 6, Tim Ferry, Kawasaki, USA, 205 7, Nathan Ramsey, Yamaha, USA, 173 8, David Vuillemin, Suzuki, FRA, 158 9, Nicholas Wey, KTM, USA, 144 10, Paul Carpenter, Honda, USA, 135 11, Charles Summey, Yamaha, USA, 130 12, Heath Voss, Honda, USA, 120 13, Travis Preston, Kawasaki, USA, 96 14, Jason Thomas, Honda, USA, 92 15, Eric Sorby, Honda, USA, 83 26, Grant Langston, Yamaha, RSA, 38 41, Broc Hepler, Yamaha, USA, 3 Manufacturer Standings 26/04/2008 Pos., Manufacturer, Points 1, Yamaha, 361 2, Honda, 352 3, Kawasaki, 283 4, Suzuki, 207 5, KTM, 148

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.