Alex Asigno
Alex Asigno

Reed 2008 champion with Las Vegas victory

Chad Reed is the new 2008 Monster Energy AMA Supercross /FIM World Championship number one after registering his ninth victory of the season in front of more than 39,000 spectators at the Sam Boyd stadium in Las Vegas last weekend. The Australian, still recovering from a broken shoulder blade, went into the final round of seventeen with a ten point lead over main rival Kevin Windham but blitzed the field once more aboard his YZ450F to clinch his second crown in the class (the other obtained in 2004). Reed obtained his 13th podium of the season after an electric start that saw him pull through from outside the top five on the first lap to pass Windham and motor to the chequered flag by over six seconds. The track inside the Nevada venue was one of the longest and trickiest of the season but Reed coped with the pressure of seeing Windham take victory in the two previous races to produce a vintage and deserving performance when it counted. "I didn't really think about winning until I saw that Kevin [Windham] wasn't really riding away," he commented. "I didn't know what he was doing, or what his gameplan was, but I felt really confident from the Heat race that I had a lot more speed than him. It seemed like any time, I could just pull up right alongside of him, and I was stronger in the whoops. Then we made some changes to the bike to make it easier on me, and I just came out in the main event and knew I could ride a fast pace if I had to." "I'm a lot better now, but I still had to be careful, and it's the experience," he said regarding his fractured shoulder. "I've been there before, unfortunately. I broke my scapula before, and I knew that I needed to get through those first two weekends, and then I'd be a lot stronger." "Coming into the season, I knew I could be strong, and I knew that it was a race between James Stewart and I, and Kevin, but once James went out, the season got really tough," Reed added concerning his 2008 campaign. "I think I lost focus. Winning became really easy. I felt like I was on a roll, and no one was going to beat me. I just got too content. It was just becoming kind of easy, and I made mistakes." "Next year is a long way away, and there's a lot of stuff that needs to happen between now and then. I want to put my head down and just enjoy the experience. It's been a rough season, and there have been a lot of ups and downs. I just want to thank everybody." The 25 year old ends a comprehensive and record-breaking - but also difficult - season with a thirteen point gap over Windham. Josh Hill was fifth and Nathan Ramsey finished with seventh. Thanks to Jason Lawrence's title in the West Coast Lites division Yamaha have claimed championships in two of the three supercross classes in 2008. The AMA Motocross championship - in which Yamaha and the YZ450F are defending champions - begins at Glen Helen on May 25th. Race 1 - 20 Laps Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Total Time 1, Chad Reed, Yamaha, AUS, 23'18.500 2, Kevin Windham, Honda, USA, 0'6.629 3, Andrew Short, Honda, USA, 0'10.544 4, Josh Hill, Yamaha, USA, 0'20.546 5, David D Millsaps, Honda, USA, 0'24.700 6, Nicholas Wey, KTM, USA, 0'27.700 7, Charles Summey, Yamaha, USA, 0'35.916 8, Travis Preston, Kawasaki, USA, 0'46.244 9, Tim Ferry, Kawasaki, USA, 0'65.687 10, David Vuillemin, Suzuki, FRA, 0'70.010 11, Heath Voss, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 12, Paul Carpenter, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 13, Jason Thomas, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 14, Kelly Smith, Kawasaki, USA, -1 Laps 15, Ryan Clark, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 16, Kevin W. Johnson, Yamaha, USA, -1 Laps 17, Tyler Bright, Honda, USA, -1 Laps 18, Josh Hansen, Yamaha, USA, -2 Laps 19, Robbie Reynard, Honda, USA, -14 Laps 20, Eric Sorby, Honda, USA, -17 Laps Rider Standings 03/05/2008 Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Points 1, Chad Reed, Yamaha, AUS, 365 2, Kevin Windham, Honda, USA, 352 3, Andrew Short, Honda, USA, 281 4, David D Millsaps, Honda, USA, 278 5, Josh Hill, Yamaha, USA, 228 6, Tim Ferry, Kawasaki, USA, 217 7, Nathan Ramsey, Yamaha, USA, 173 8, David Vuillemin, Suzuki, FRA, 169 9, Nicholas Wey, KTM, USA, 159 10, Charles Summey, Yamaha, USA, 144 11, Paul Carpenter, Honda, USA, 144 12, Heath Voss, Honda, USA, 130 13, Travis Preston, Kawasaki, USA, 109 14, Jason Thomas, Honda, USA, 100 15, Eric Sorby, Honda, USA, 84 26, Grant Langston, Yamaha, RSA, 38 41, Broc Hepler, Yamaha, USA, 3 Manufacturer Standings 03/05/2008 Pos., Manufacturer, Points 1, Yamaha, 386 2, Honda, 374 3, Kawasaki, 296 4, Suzuki, 218 5, KTM, 163

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.